House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I was disappointed that this season there was very little with two story lines from the books, namely everything involving the Ironborn, Dorne and Randyll Tarly.

Dorne was a lost cause after season 5, but they just pushed Euron aside, and it robbed Yara of important development.

Randyll Tarly should have been used to show the continuing grasp that Highgarden had, but nope, here he's just an asshole. 

Spoiler

After reading the theory of A+J=T, it does make sense and I agree with everyone that it would be kinda lame, but at the same time this was GRRM plan from the beginning. The fact that it looks like Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are the three dragon riders seems kinda shitty but at the same time, I suppose there is a reason they were so heavily featured. I don't think random Joe being the third dragon rider would be good, but I can't think of who a suitable third option would really be at this point. It's kind of weird, because while I haven't read the books, Game of Thrones has been hands down the best television I've watched for the past six years so to see it coming to an end is really unfortunate. With that being said, it feels weird to get some sort of closure on certain things within the show. Seeing Arya kill Frey, Jon Snow as the King of the North, Cersei taking down the High Sparrow and everyone around it, it just seems so... odd. You usually don't get those things within the show and are always waiting for what the next obstacle is.

Now were at the main event. The battle for Kings Landing and the war with the dead. But it almost feels so backwards just because of all the turns we've been given and amount of success the "bad guys" have had. The fairytale ending is the North beating the White Walkers and Dany taking over Kings Landing, but now that we're almost there, it just seems so wrong in the GoT lore.

As for the finale, man was it a good one. This entire season was chalked full of great episodes from the Hodor one, to Battle of the Bastards, to Sundays. The score was absolutely spot on and those first twenty minutes may have been the best cinematic viewing that I have ever witnessed. Everything was absolutely spot on and the acting as always was top notch. Shame to see Tommen go down just like Joffrey, but at the end of the day it was going to happen eventually. I shouldn't be surprised with Dany coming over for battle right now - it would be weird for a good natured character and a sympathetic character to clash. Does this mean Tyrion is going to have to fight Jamie and even Bronn? That's what we need next season. More Bronn.

Spoiler

You have to wonder if Shireen being burned was part of The Lord of Light's plan. Since she revived him, Mel would have followed Jon to the death had she not been exiled, and R'hllor perhaps needs her elsewhere now her job is done (for now) there, and had the foresight that killing Shireen would save a lot more lives down the line. The fact a tiny wooden stag did not burn in the fire seems like it should be a bit of an oddity otherwise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

You have to wonder if Shireen being burned was part of The Lord of Light's plan. Since she revived him, Mel would have followed Jon to the death had she not been exiled, and R'hllor perhaps needs her elsewhere now her job is done (for now) there, and had the foresight that killing Shireen would save a lot more lives down the line. The fact a tiny wooden stag did not burn in the fire seems like it should be a bit of an oddity otherwise.

Let's consider this scenario: 

Rhaegar somehow knew that his son would be "The Prince Who Was Promised". Of course, now we know that there is an excellent chance that it's Jon Snow

considering that Aegon/Young Griff has not shown up at all

, and that Melisandre firmly believes this. Of course, she also believed that that was Stannis, as well as Azor Ahai. 

Burning Shireen is what lead to the demise of Stannis; his cavalry deserted, and he was left with half the men he thought he had. Had that not happened, Stannis probably would have taken Winterfell, considering Jon took it with much less. So, Stannis is dead, and there's no place to go but back to the Wall, and she wisely doesn't say anything about Shireen's fate to Davos. 

Melisandre's roll in everything is fascinating. In a way, it's set everything up rather conveniently. Renly's death destroyed the alliance between his forces and Highgarden, driving most of them to The Iron Throne. And of course, that ultimately lead to the deaths of Joffrey and Tommen. 

She convinces Stannis to spare Davos, and Davos is the one that convinces her to at least try to revive Jon Snow, creating a situation where there is what should be a very short war, a reconciliation between Jon and Dany, leading to the ultimate showdown between humanity and the Others. 

Chances are, she still has things left to do. She's been told to leave the North, and wouldn't you know, Beric, Thoros and The Hound, as well as the rest of the Brotherhood, are heading towards The Wall. How do you think Thoros and Beric will react when they find out that Jon came back to life, and he's The Prince Who Was Promised? I mean, The Hound could probably give a shit, but still. 

My bold prediction is that Jamie will kill the Mad Queen, wed Denarys and thus officially bring the Targaryan and Lannisters together. Tyrion as Danys hand and Bronn as the kings hand.

33 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Hide contents

Yeah, you're insane if you think Dany is marrying the guy who murdered her dad.

At the same time, Targaryen vs. Lannister - do you really expect Tyrion to stand opposite of Jamie after all those two have been through? The question is going to be who weds Dany, but I don't see a suitable person. Jon Snow to bring incest back full circle?

What would be Tyrion's reasons for joining Dany if he knew they were going to go to war with the Lannisters and if all is true, want to kill Jamie? He would have to know he's sacrificing the one person in his family that actually was there for him to a degree.

Spoiler

Is the question even going to be who weds Dany? I know she mentioned it when leaving Daario behind but she has always been portrayed as a strong woman who literally does not need a man to rule or be strong. I doubt it'll be a main aspect of her story going forward.

1 minute ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

Does it really matter if they put things in spoilers? It's a friendly courtesy that harms no-one.

Spoiler

Well, kinda. Because I'm opening up spoilers and it starts with "J+J=M" or whatever and I have no idea what it means, so I don't know if it is an actual spoiler or a book spoiler so I don't read it. So I don't really read anything in here.

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Doesn't Tyrion hate Jaime and wants him dead because of what happened with Tysha?

Why would he side with him over Daenerys?

Book thing, didn't go down that way in the show. They just hugged and he ran off to kill Tywin.

Besides, it won't go down the way you seem to think it will @Krone. It's all well and good saying Tyrion won't want to fight Jaime, but you are ignoring:

a) that Tyrion will likely ask Jaime to join them. Tyrion says he's siding with Dany because he believes in her as a ruler, not because he wants her to burn the entire continent of Westeros. He likes his brother, why wouldn't he want him on the side that is in all likelihood going to win the war?

b) Jaime's opinions. It's the Mad King's daughter, do you really think he's going to risk that happening again, especially when she arrives with a ton of dragons burning shit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Doesn't Tyrion hate Jaime and wants him dead because of what happened with Tysha?

Why would he side with him over Daenerys?

Spoiler

Does he hate Jaime though? I had to google Tysha just to remember who she is, and nothing I can read mentions him bearing any ill will to Jaime for it, since Jaime's original part in it all was actually from a kind place. It seems to all be Tywin's fault.

Plus, all my memories of Jaime and Tyrion interacting in the show are of them being friendly with each other, right up to when Tyrion was imprisoned and awaiting his trial / death.

Just now, Adam said:
  Hide contents

Does he hate Jaime though? I had to google Tysha just to remember who she is, and nothing I can read mentions him bearing any ill will to Jaime for it, since Jaime's original part in it all was actually from a kind place. It seems to all be Tywin's fault.

Plus, all my memories of Jaime and Tyrion interacting in the show are of them being friendly with each other, right up to when Tyrion was imprisoned and awaiting his trial / death.

Jericode was right above. The way Tyrion and Jaime parted in the series was drastically different to the books, which is an odd thing to change and I'd forgotten that! Jaime's character in general is quite different in the TV show.