House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

2 minutes ago, TCO said:

Jericode was right above. The way Tyrion and Jaime parted in the series was drastically different to the books, which is an odd thing to change and I'd forgotten that! Jaime's character in general is quite different in the TV show.

I figured it might have something to do with differences from the books, which I haven't read. Jericode made his post as I was about to finish mine :(

So in the TV show, was Tysha simply a whore payed by Jamie or did she actually love him? I just read about her on the wikis and I'm confused. I remember that the way the story was told in the show that she really was just a whore payed by the Lannisters but the article on the GoT wiki suggests otherwise. 

Edited by Hellraiser

In the TV show she was a whore paid by Jaime, and they never really expanded further on that. In the books, iirc, Jaime reveals that he lied and she actually did love Tyrion. I don't believe they had that revelation in the show though.

Yeah in the TV series she's a whore that Jaime paid for.

In the books she really loved Tyrion. When Tywin found out he was furious because she was lowborn. He had Jaime tell her she was a whore then had 50 Lannister men rape her and made Tyrion have sex with her afterwards as a lesson. Jaime admitted this before they parted and Tyrion hates him for it. 

The whole emotional goodbye between them in the show threw me off and it's quite a big departure from what happened in the book so it threw me off. The show's direction with Jaime is quite peculiar. He's arguably more likeable on the whole but then they have rape Cersei and generally be her lapdog in recent seasons too. Very different portrayal.

Question on the events preceding the show and the last episode.

I was reading up on Robert's Rebellion and saw that it was Jon Arryan, Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark that were the three who fought against Aerys. While the assumption is that Jon Snow is a Targaryen, wouldn't this throw a whole wrench in things since Snow's "father" fought to dethrone her father? Maybe it's just me but I feel that might cause a rift between the Jon and Dany - and if Snow just ends up going over to Dany's side (because she's the one with the power here) where does that leave Bran, Arya, and Sansa?

Well, by now..

Spoiler

Dany already knows her father was insane. She knows he was a bad ruler and not a good dude. While Ned Stark did help The Usurper, she's grown over the past few seasons. She's also got Tyrion and Varys, who can probably counsel her to make alliances if it benefits her. Add to that, Howland Reed is still alive somewhere, and he's the last person to know what really happened at the Tower of Joy. If Dany or any of the Starks run into Howland, it's just a matter of "hey, btw, that Jon kid is your nephew" and I think that fact + Ned taking in Rhaegar's son as a favor to his sister will trump the fact that Ned helped Robert depose of Aerys.

8 hours ago, Krone said:

Question on the events preceding the show and the last episode.

Hide contents

I was reading up on Robert's Rebellion and saw that it was Jon Arryan, Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark that were the three who fought against Aerys. While the assumption is that Jon Snow is a Targaryen, wouldn't this throw a whole wrench in things since Snow's "father" fought to dethrone her father? Maybe it's just me but I feel that might cause a rift between the Jon and Dany - and if Snow just ends up going over to Dany's side (because she's the one with the power here) where does that leave Bran, Arya, and Sansa?

@Krone

Again, you're looking purely at how Dany's going to act. Let's also consider for a second that Dany's brother, by all accounts, kidnapped Jon's mother before Dany's father ordered the execution of Jon's uncle and grandfather. How's Jon going to feel about all of that?

Also, now that Jon has been revealed to have Targaryen blood, he's technically Dany's heir, so why the fuck would she kill him? She'll hold the south and give Jon the North after he swears fealty and the other Starks will be allowed to live (if they haven't died already) as repentance for her father's actions whilst also keeping one of the Great Houses on her side.

End of the day it was Robert's Rebellion, not Ned's, and all the Baratheons are either dead or bastards. The men who usurped her family are all already dead. She'll be counciled by Tyrion/Varys/everyone else with sense not to just go off and murder everything just because she can.

Spoiler

Also, now that Jon has been revealed to have Targaryen blood, he's technically Dany's heir, so why the fuck would she kill him?

Because he could turn on her and have claim to the Seven Kingdoms. Because she doesn't know or trust him. Because as son of the most beloved Targaryen in generations, people of Westeros will probably trust him far more than the daughter of The Mad King. If Jon decides Dany isn't doing right by him and his kingdom he could have her killed and take the throne for hinself.

Dany has zero reason to trust Jon from the offset beyond his personal reputation.

I'm not saying the alliance won't happen (it will, Tyrion and Viserys will make sure if that probably), but it is not going to be as simple as "we share blood, so we cool". If that were true then the Lannisters would still be standing tall with little worries.

I'm pretty certain Jon's had enough of war and would be quite content to take peace if it was offered to him. Besides, he's grown up as a Northman, and as far as I can think no Northmen have really shown any ambition towards the Iron Throne. I imagine Jon will see sense, plus, he and Tyrion have interacted kindly towards each other in the past, I can see that carrying on forward as they try to forge allies.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Jon's sense that he's shown combined with the advice from Dany's advisers will prevent any backstabbing.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

@Krone

Hide contents

Again, you're looking purely at how Dany's going to act. Let's also consider for a second that Dany's brother, by all accounts, kidnapped Jon's mother before Dany's father ordered the execution of Jon's uncle and grandfather. How's Jon going to feel about all of that?

Also, now that Jon has been revealed to have Targaryen blood, he's technically Dany's heir, so why the fuck would she kill him? She'll hold the south and give Jon the North after he swears fealty and the other Starks will be allowed to live (if they haven't died already) as repentance for her father's actions whilst also keeping one of the Great Houses on her side.

End of the day it was Robert's Rebellion, not Ned's, and all the Baratheons are either dead or bastards. The men who usurped her family are all already dead. She'll be counciled by Tyrion/Varys/everyone else with sense not to just go off and murder everything just because she can.

Actually the other way around. Jon is the son of Rhaegar, the heir to the throne at that time, and Dany is the direct daughter of Aerys, but pretty sure Westeros has succession laws that go with the first son of the heir before the first daughter of the king.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Spoiler

I don't think there will be backstabbing, but I think it would be foolish of Dany not to worry about it. Especially considering the Stark's role in her family being deposed and father and brother's deaths. And the fact that Jon is actually technically the rightful king.

I'm still not convinced Dany won't begin showing signs of the madness before the show is through, and I suspect Jon might be the reason it starts.

Just now, Jasonmufc said:

Hide contents

Actually the other way around. Jon is the son of Rhaegar, the heir to the throne at that time, and Dany is the direct daughter of Aegon, but pretty sure Westeros has succession laws that go with the first son of the heir before the first daughter of the king.

Yes, but in the scenario where Dany invades and takes the Iron Throne, Jon, as the only other Targaryen, would be her heir and successor.

I'm not denying that Jon isn't the valid heir to the throne, but if Dany takes it first, then it skews the line of succession.

ALSO, Dany looks far more like a Targaryen than Jon does, and literally one living person in Westeros (ignoring Bran being in the middle of the far north for a moment) who knows his true parentage, is it really that believable that a bastard of Rhaegar's who has randomly come out of nowhere and looks nothing like him is going to get more support than a Targaryen pretender that people have known about since the series began?

Spoiler

Oh, and one MAJOR point we're forgetting in Dany/Jon - Littlefinger and Viserys. Littlefinger will be manipulating for Sansa (and therefore both with and against Jon depending on what suits him) so he and her can get more power, whilst Viserys will be manipulaying for Dany to retain power. Those two are going to cause more bloodshed and carnage before winter is through.

They are masters of distrust, not a chance they don't play a role.

280px-HBOGolden_Crown.png

Viserys isn't going to be doing much of anything. :shifty:

Also, they're both shit disturbers, sure, but in at least one case (Varys), all the shit disturbing was in order to help Dany. Littlefinger just wants to go from zero to hero (aka rule the world after being born a commoner), so I could definitely see him getting up to shit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jericode said:

Hide contents

Yes, but in the scenario where Dany invades and takes the Iron Throne, Jon, as the only other Targaryen, would be her heir and successor.

I'm not denying that Jon isn't the valid heir to the throne, but if Dany takes it first, then it skews the line of succession.

ALSO, Dany looks far more like a Targaryen than Jon does, and literally one living person in Westeros (ignoring Bran being in the middle of the far north for a moment) who knows his true parentage, is it really that believable that a bastard of Rhaegar's who has randomly come out of nowhere and looks nothing like him is going to get more support than a Targaryen pretender that people have known about since the series began?

Wait....which person? I'm drawing a blank right now.