House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

No idea, there's no sexualised violence in this episode. In fact, this episode was pretty much all about women being bad asses.

• Like 4

That was pretty much your standard opening episode.

Spoiler

I hope things pick up during the inevitable naval battle, but I'm finding Euron a bit one-note. He reminds me of WWE's "look how wacky this guy is" booking of Dean Ambrose. Other than the over-long sequence of Sam cleaning up faeces, I had no issues with anything else. 

Spoiler

It's crazy to me that in a show that has killed off so many fantastic characters, we got a premiere episode where I was still able to be like "hey, where's this person." Davos barely said anything, Tyrion didn't really have any dialogue, nor Varys (although this is due to the story really being about Daenyrs getting to Dragonstone). I'm not complaining at all, it's quite great actually. I pretty much loved everything about the direction the show is going in.

Spoiler

So they've learned from the last couple of seasons and started this one with a bang. Nice scene.

Tensions between Sansa and Jon.While I sympathize with Jon he should listen to his sister. Being honorful and listening to their hearts was what got most of his family killed in the end.

And I expected Jamie to be more pissed off than this. And of course Euron has his 1000 ships despite the Iron Islands, as he himself pointed out, being nothing but rocks and birdshit so they don't have the resources to build them and even if they had it would've taken them years. Or was it Cersai that gave the fleet to him? But I got the impression that this is the first time they met. And I still don't get Euron. According to book readers the guy should be a big deal. A insane yet very charismatic leader. But the way he is portrayed in the show he just comes off as just another guy. And I see that he doesn't even have the item he has in the books yet. Why did all the people of the Iron Island back him so enthusiastically again?

Holy shit Ed Sheeran is in this. I think they announced that a while back but I totally forgot about that.

2 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Why the shifty? That seems pretty ominous

I just watched the episode and I can't recall a single bit of gore, and certainly no sexual content, violent or otherwise. All the women looked prety formidable this week in every sense!

Brief thoughts on the ep:

Spoiler

Enjoyed the episode a lot, I like how near enough everyone was on screen at some stage (bar Ellaria/Olenna?). Loved all the Hound stuff, he is legitimately the purest heart in all of Westeros these days it seems. I really enjoyed the Ed Sheeran cameo as well, plus Tom Turgoose was prominent in the scene! Oh oh, and Jim Broadbent was great in it. Loved that scene with Sam.

Jon

Spoiler

You saw that the heads of the Karstark and Umber houses are now children. They're not a threat to the Stark's anymore. Removing them from their lands will just make Jon look like a tyrant. I can see Alys getting married off to a Wildling though to cement their loyalty though. The whole not blaming children for the sins of their fathers also fits into Jon's character too, his entire life he has had to live with being branded and treated as a bastard due to the apparent sins of Ned. It will be interesting though, because so far, every time Jon and Sansa have disagreed on something, Sansa has been right.

Euron

Spoiler

I like Euron. He's a charismatic blowhard who has spent far too much time at sea so is probably insane and is absolutely too full of his own shit. People like charismatic goons who talk a big game, both in Westeros and closer to home. I wouldn't take the '1000 ships' literally either, again, he's a braggart and an exaggerator. When he's sailing into Kings Landing, there probably 150 at most and most of that would probably have been his existing fleet.

Bronn

Spoiler

Bronn should be in Kings Landing, he was last seen riding back into the city with Jamie.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

So they've learned from the last couple of seasons and started this one with a bang. Nice scene.

Tensions between Sansa and Jon.While I sympathize with Jon he should listen to his sister. Being honorful and listening to their hearts was what got most of his family killed in the end.

And I expected Jamie to be more pissed off than this. And of course Euron has his 1000 ships despite the Iron Islands, as he himself pointed out, being nothing but rocks and birdshit so they don't have the resources to build them and even if they had it would've taken them years. Or was it Cersai that gave the fleet to him? But I got the impression that this is the first time they met. And I still don't get Euron. According to book readers the guy should be a big deal. A insane yet very charismatic leader. But the way he is portrayed in the show he just comes off as just another guy. And I see that he doesn't even have the item he has in the books yet. Why did all the people of the Iron Island back him so enthusiastically again?

Holy shit Ed Sheeran is in this. I think they announced that a while back but I totally forgot about that.

Yeah, I'm not quite fully sure regarding Euron.

In the books, Euron raped the wife of his brother Victarion (another awesome character they cut from the show :( ), and to save his honor, Victarion killed her. Balon exiled Euron as a result. What happens is that Balon does fall, but it occurs while Robb is still alive, and the next day Euron shows up in Pyke for the moot. 

They changed why Euron is elected as well. Firstly, Euron shows off an insane amount of wealth (after the moot was swinging towards Asha [Yara, they changed the name because it was close to 'Arya' g<_< ]), but also after showing off a relic called the Dragon Horn, which allegedly allows one to enslave dragons. He intends to use it on Dany's dragons. He comes across as much more sinister and not nearly as psychotic. 

It did occur to me last night, before I saw the show, that the Ironborn must have been building like crazy to get those ships, though I imagine some of what's left maybe from personal use. 

I also expected more from Jamie, but I suspect we'll get more from him. 

Also, that bit with the Hound finding the bodies of the father and daughter was creepy :shifty:  . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I'm not quite fully sure regarding Euron.

In the books, Euron raped the wife of his brother Victarion (another awesome character they cut from the show :( ), and to save his honor, Victarion killed her. Balon exiled Euron as a result. What happens is that Balon does fall, but it occurs while Robb is still alive, and the next day Euron shows up in Pyke for the moot. 

They changed why Euron is elected as well. Firstly, Euron shows off an insane amount of wealth (after the moot was swinging towards Asha [Yara, they changed the name because it was close to 'Arya' g<_< ]), but also after showing off a relic called the Dragon Horn, which allegedly allows one to enslave dragons. He intends to use it on Dany's dragons. He comes across as much more sinister and not nearly as psychotic.

Spoiler

I hated that scene. First all the Ironborn throw their weight behing Yara. Then this guy shows up, reminds them that Yara is a women and Theon has no penis and suddenly they all vote for him. If it is that easy to sway the Ironborn Yara and Theon should've just baked some cookies for them and Yara would be the ruler of the Iron Islands in no time. All Euron did was mildly diss Yara and Theon. It wasn't even a strong diss. We've seen better disses in GoT over the course of 6 seasons. Yes, Yara may be a women but she is also the daughter of their old lord and she has proven herself. Euron didn't give them any reason to elect him. He doesn't have the horn and he doesn't seem much more wealthier than anyone else. He just comes off like any other Ironborn. Nothing special about him. Nothing to prove that he would be more suited to be their leader than Yara. I don't understand why they didn't give him the Dragon Horn for that scene. At least then the Iron Born would have a good reason to unite behind him.

26 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

I hated that scene. First all the Ironborn throw their weight behing Yara. Then this guy shows up, reminds them that Yara is a women and Theon has no penis and suddenly they all vote for him. If it is that easy to sway the Ironborn Yara and Theon should've just baked some cookies for them and Yara would be the ruler of the Iron Islands in no time. All Euron did was mildly diss Yara and Theon. It wasn't even a strong diss. We've seen better disses in GoT over the course of 6 seasons. Yes, Yara may be a women but she is also the daughter of their old lord and she has proven herself. Euron didn't give them any reason to elect him. He doesn't have the horn and he doesn't seem much more wealthier than anyone else. He just comes off like any other Ironborn. Nothing special about him. Nothing to prove that he would be more suited to be their leader than Yara. I don't understand why they didn't give him the Dragon Horn for that scene. At least then the Iron Born would have a good reason to unite behind him.

Not to mention he flat out admits to kinslaying and kingslaying. 

Also, I want more of Brienne and Tormund :shifty: 

1 hour ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

They need to hook up before Tormund gets killed by a wight.

Spoiler

I would be completely fine if their only interaction are Tormund making eyes at Brienne, constantly.

I also hope this means that The Hound, Thoros and Beric are headed North, but at the same time I'm pretty sure they have to end up facing off with The Mountain.  The war cannot end until Beric kills him after all.

So Sansa is basically going to be the voice of reason against Jon's all out assault on the White Walkers. But she's also likely going to prevent him from developing the army he needs to save countless people in the north. It's an interesting dynamic and shows that some of the calculated ways she thinks don't mesh with the very real reality of the real evil being north of the Wall.

I like that Samwell quickly discovered what was underneath Dragonstone. I doubt it's quick or easy that they are able to take that Dragonstone and build the army they need. What's really intriguing is that Jorah was evidently there, and the Grayscale has spread even further.

The Hound is a changed man and it's really an interesting development.

And what more needs to be said about Arya this episode. Excellent cold open, and that scene with Ed Sheeran and co. was a nice break that set her in motion for her next act of revenge.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Hide contents

And what more needs to be said about Arya this episode

"Great job raising that fucking psychopath, Ned. <_< "

:shifty: 

17 minutes ago, Gongsun Zan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And I hope that's exactly what happens :P 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mick said:

Hide contents

"Great job raising that fucking psychopath, Ned. <_< "

:shifty: 

Spoiler

If she were a psychopath, she'd have gutted Ed Sheeran et al. where they stood. I mean, she still might but you could see that she saw that they're basically just innocent men dragged into someone else's fight.