House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 11.06.10 PM.png

(Baba O'Riley playing)

I've always been a brash man. I joined the Kingsguard as a teenager, killed the man I was forced to protect, lost a hand thanks to my tongue...but right here is the moment it all ends. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what I was thinking charging a dragon. 

Oh god that episode!  That was incredible!

Awesome stuff, my heart was pounding for most of that!

Spoiler

It's odd watching one of these battles not fully wanting one side to win. I mean, obviously I wanted Dany to obliterate the Lannister forces but Jaime and Bronn are two of my favourites, and when Jaime was charging Dany I was thinking the same as Tyrion. You knew he'd never get near enough to her with the dragon protecting her but for that split second at the end I thought "damn, Jaime is going down here". All in all an incredible 10 minutes or so of television with some amazing shots in there. It did feel as if I was watching a blockbuster film in the cinema.

Elsewhere...nice to have the Stark kids back together, and I rather enjoyed seeing the CotF hieroglyphs, that was a cool way to get Dany and Jon firmly on the same page.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rooney! said:

Awesome stuff, my heart was pounding for most of that!

Hide contents

It's odd watching one of these battles not fully wanting one side to win. I mean, obviously I wanted Dany to obliterate the Lannister forces but Jaime and Bronn are two of my favourites, and when Jaime was charging Dany I was thinking the same as Tyrion. You knew he'd never get near enough to her with the dragon protecting her but for that split second at the end I thought "damn, Jaime is going down here". All in all an incredible 10 minutes or so of television with some amazing shots in there. It did feel as if I was watching a blockbuster film in the cinema.

Elsewhere...nice to have the Stark kids back together, and I rather enjoyed seeing the CotF hieroglyphs, that was a cool way to get Dany and Jon firmly on the same page.

Spoiler

I was shaking like a shitting dog when it came to Jamie and Bronn. Bronn is by far one of my favourites and I have a feeling he is dead.

I just loved the bit with him and the ballista. That was fucking awesome. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MDK said:
  Hide contents

I was shaking like a shitting dog when it came to Jamie and Bronn. Bronn is by far one of my favourites and I have a feeling he is dead.

I just loved the bit with him and the ballista. That was fucking awesome. 

Spoiler

Wasn't it just? That whole sequence is probably one of the best they've ever done, I love how they shot Bronn weaving around towards the ballista from below his eye level, then when he ran into the wagon, used it on the chasing Dothrak and unveiled it to start aiming at Drogon, it was all just seamless and bad ass as all hell.

What an episode. This season has been spectacular.

Spoiler

Surprised Bronn didn't die. Like, everything about Game of Thrones said he should of. We didn't see Tarly die either, but surely he should have too, unless he really booked it out of there.

We are super close to a Bronn/Tyrion reunion, so if he survives for that, I'll be okay with it. 

Pretty awesome to finally see the dragon in real action. I'm having a hard time buying the crossbow thing-y being able to take down the dragon. If Qyburn had've put some poison or shit on it, sure. Or maybe if they just had like 20 of them. But it just doesn't seem like one spear would cause Drogon to just fall out of the sky. On second thought, maybe I am overthinking a show about dragons and ice zombies.

I like that the Lannister army has Ed Sheeran and Noah Syndergaard and that Mac and Charlie from It's Always Sunny are in the Unsullied.

• Like 1

Ok. I'm just going to say it.

This show has gone downhill. It's not that I'm not enjoying it per sé, but it just feels off to me. 

For one, they seem to have abandoned all sense of the size of Westeros. Previous seasons have made a point of explaining the distances between the different Houses, but this season it seems as though everyone just appears the other side of the island in a matter of minutes.

Example being, Danearys moved her entire army across to the West whilst having to go past[/] Kings Landing with her dragon. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I will still watch until the end, but it just feels like a different show now, with completely different writers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Ok. I'm just going to say it.

This show has gone downhill. It's not that I'm not enjoying it per sé, but it just feels off to me. 

For one, they seem to have abandoned all sense of the size of Westeros. Previous seasons have made a point of explaining the distances between the different Houses, but this season it seems as though everyone just appears the other side of the island in a matter of minutes.

Hide contents

Example being, Danearys moved her entire army across to the West whilst having to go past[/] Kings Landing with her dragon. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I will still watch until the end, but it just feels like a different show now, with completely different writers.

Spoiler

Have you seen how far that Dragon shifts it? An hour flying is probably the same as a day walking. That would cut down the size of the map for sure.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:
  Hide contents

Have you seen how far that Dragon shifts it? An hour flying is probably the same as a day walking. That would cut down the size of the map for sure.

Weren't the Dothraki with her though?

Plus, Jon Snow got to her pretty damned quickly.

I like the fact they happened to be in a Western sort of setting when the Native American looking Dothraki arrived...

I really want to be invested in this season, but I've just been disappointed by it.

They've got seven episodes to get all this stuff in, they can't be having armies marching across Westeros for four or five episodes any more. Plus, they're not giving any in show time frame for when these events are happening, though it's believed to be roughly a year per season (Arya was 10 in season 1 and is now about 17). Don't forget in the first season, Cersei mentions that the ride from King's Landing to Winterfell took 'months' and the return journey took all of one scene.

I will concede it would be pretty difficult for a Dothraki horde to cross Westeros without any scouts picking up on the fact, but like I said, it's down to the logistics of the story.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Hide contents

Weren't the Dothraki with her though?

Plus, Jon Snow got to her pretty damned quickly.

I like the fact they happened to be in a Western sort of setting when the Native American looking Dothraki arrived...

I really want to be invested in this season, but I've just been disappointed by it.

What, you've never been packed into a Ryan Air flight before? :shifty:

• Like 2

This is it, I keep seeing in reviews, especially from this week that "they are ignoring the travel time" and my first thought is always "so?". It's like people would rather have realism at the expense of the story being good or something, which just seems silly to me especially in a show like GoT. They aren't putting a time frame on how much time is passing, and we know they only have 7 episodes to get all the stuff in. So do people want two episodes of the 7 to be pointless Dothraki travelling across Westeros? What's the point at this stage?

• Like 1

While I agree that too much is being made of that, part of the problem is that the pace is definitely been upped this season compared to previous seasons so I can see why it may be off-putting for some as it is a little jarring. 

That said, I don't really have any problems with it and thought this episode was fantastic. The third episode was also very good but this one definitely set the bar for the season.

• Like 2