House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Re: Size of Westeros

It's kind of a punchline that everybody gets to where they need to be in one scene, but I've read books and watched some shows where they spend multiple chapters/episodes just moving people into place. It can be fucking brutal, since you're basically dealing with absolute filler that has no bearing on the actual story. At least this way they're skipping all the stuff. The distance from Highgarden to King's Landing is long, so it makes sense that Dany would have time to find out and still mount an attack before they made it back. But, yeah, it's a little confusing how she was able to get Dothraki onto shores without any word getting out. Especially since Dragonstone is so close to King's Landing surely somebody would have seen ships carrying Dothraki sailing by to drop them off on land.

Also on the episode itself

I think Bronn, Jaime, and the Tarly folks are all alive. Unless you see a dead body chances are a main character is alive. Randyl Tarly has been established as the type of guy who would hightail it out of there, and I suspect that's what he did. Bronn obviously stayed until the end but I bet he'll be found on the battlefield as well. Chances are Jaime and Bronn will both be prisoners. I didn't get a good glimpse at who saved Jaime, but he might be a significant character as well.

Also, someone told me Dany wound up burning the grain? But I vividly remember seeing her spare all the carts that had grain, and burning everything else like the gold.

It was such obvious foreshadowing at the start of the episode when Cersei and the guy from the Iron Bank discussed the payment and they made a point of saying "when it arrives." Like I knew right there the gold wasn't making it, and quickly figured out what exactly would happen and the rest of the episode was me hyped for the conclusion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, damshow said:

Re: Size of Westeros

Hide contents

It's kind of a punchline that everybody gets to where they need to be in one scene, but I've read books and watched some shows where they spend multiple chapters/episodes just moving people into place. It can be fucking brutal, since you're basically dealing with absolute filler that has no bearing on the actual story. At least this way they're skipping all the stuff. The distance from Highgarden to King's Landing is long, so it makes sense that Dany would have time to find out and still mount an attack before they made it back. But, yeah, it's a little confusing how she was able to get Dothraki onto shores without any word getting out. Especially since Dragonstone is so close to King's Landing surely somebody would have seen ships carrying Dothraki sailing by to drop them off on land.

Also on the episode itself

Hide contents

I think Bronn, Jaime, and the Tarly folks are all alive. Unless you see a dead body chances are a main character is alive. Randyl Tarly has been established as the type of guy who would hightail it out of there, and I suspect that's what he did. Bronn obviously stayed until the end but I bet he'll be found on the battlefield as well. Chances are Jaime and Bronn will both be prisoners. I didn't get a good glimpse at who saved Jaime, but he might be a significant character as well.

Also, someone told me Dany wound up burning the grain? But I vividly remember seeing her spare all the carts that had grain, and burning everything else like the gold.

It was such obvious foreshadowing at the start of the episode when Cersei and the guy from the Iron Bank discussed the payment and they made a point of saying "when it arrives." Like I knew right there the gold wasn't making it, and quickly figured out what exactly would happen and the rest of the episode was me hyped for the conclusion.

One slight issue with your gold theory

Tarly says "The last of the gold has made it to King's Landing" right before talking about flogging people to motivate them, prior to the battle beginning.

Re: the gold

Spoiler

Which is something that I think will be shown to be a mistake on Dany's part, in her rashness to attack and show of her power, instead of melting the Lannister's gold, she's burnt tonnes of food and supplies that she could of quite easily taken for her own use just by using the Dothraki sneak attack.

I thought it was Bronn. Like Dickon already saved him once. I don't think we find out what happens to Jaime for a while. Like I think he'll be missing, presumed dead, and Cersei will go on a bit of a mad one (again). Then he'll turn up for a family reunion at the end and has to choose between brother and sister or some shit.

Incidentally, I thought when Bronn dropped his gold, that would be the end of him. Like when he hesitated and looked at it, I thought his sellsword greed would make him go for it and die, but glad he didn't.

What a fucking episode. 

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Ok. I'm just going to say it.

This show has gone downhill. It's not that I'm not enjoying it per sé, but it just feels off to me. 

For one, they seem to have abandoned all sense of the size of Westeros. Previous seasons have made a point of explaining the distances between the different Houses, but this season it seems as though everyone just appears the other side of the island in a matter of minutes.

Reveal hidden contents

I will still watch until the end, but it just feels like a different show now, with completely different writers.

I think this season they're greatly expanding the time table, and if what I've read is correct concerning upcoming episodes is true, then there's a good chance we'll get that time table confirmed. 

I mean, I do imagine it would take a bit of time to go from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock, and from Highgarden to outside King's Landing. 

Spoiler

Yeah I didn't even question that it was Bronn who saved Jaime, and all the reviews I read assumed the same. I think Dickon may be dead, and when Jaime and/or Bronn survey the battlefield after getting out of the drink they'll happen upon Dickon's body.

I don't give a fuck about them skipping travel scenes. Them upping the pace has actually gotten me more interested than ever before. Can't we all just assume they traveled the proper amount of time between scenes? Do we really need to see it? Until a character wonders aloud "How the fuck did Tyrion get from Hufflepuff to Shiresburg in 3 minutes?!?" I am fine with knowing they traveled and nothing of consequence happened

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't give a fuck about them skipping travel scenes. Them upping the pace has actually gotten me more interested than ever before. Can't we all just assume they traveled the proper amount of time between scenes? Do we really need to see it? Until a character wonders aloud "How the fuck did Tyrion get from Hufflepuff to Shiresburg in 3 minutes?!?" I am fine with knowing they traveled and nothing of consequence happened

I think the only issue is that this didn't really seem to happen in previous seasons, though, technically speaking the first season covered nearly two years, while 2, 3 and 4 only covered about one :shifty: 

1 minute ago, Mick said:

I think the only issue is that this didn't really seem to happen in previous seasons, though, technically speaking the first season covered nearly two years, while 2, 3 and 4 only covered about one :shifty: 

Stannis just showed up in the north at the end of Season 2 (?) without anybody knowing he'd be there.

1 minute ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Stannis just showed up in the north at the end of Season 2 (?) without anybody knowing he'd be there.

Season 4 :shifty: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

IMG_6988.GIF

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

One slight issue with your gold theory

Hide contents

Tarly says "The last of the gold has made it to King's Landing" right before talking about flogging people to motivate them, prior to the battle beginning.

I missed that line in the hype of the fight. It does make sense that the entire army wasn't travelling with the gold from a strategic standpoint.

I'm not going to go back and read, and this isn't too spoilery, but, yeah, Jaime is my favorite character in terms of the show (he is top 3 in the books for me, after Victarion and, I dunno, honestly...). Legend.

Edit: Oh, fuck, I forgot Oberyn. Yeah, he's no. 2

Edited by DMN
Duh.

I liked the episode, but I'm not really enthused by it like some seem to be (and that's not taking away from them, if anything I'm jealous they enjoyed it so much).

Spoiler

I think it comes down to different loves for the show. I appreciate that people enjoy a big battle and dragons, and I do too, but I like GoT for its political intrigue and character development, and that didn't feel like it had any of that outside the gold stuff, which was foreshadowed right near the start.

I agree about the pacing too, it very much feels like the writers said "shit, we're all out of scenes to take from the books, let's just finish the rest on barebones". There's definitely some context and some subtle drama missing, even though the cinematography is absolutely on point (except for Dany's looking like a small hand fan is on her whilst she is riding a fucking dragon through the air, which is so absurdly petty of me to notice).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jericode said:
  Hide contents

Unless I missed him die, I'm almost certain Dickon will be the one who saved Jaime.

Pretty sure it was Bronn.  If you pause it at the right moment, you can see the guy who saved him was unarmored.  Dickon was wearing armor, Bronn wasn't-/spoiler]

52 minutes ago, Benji said:

I liked the episode, but I'm not really enthused by it like some seem to be (and that's not taking away from them, if anything I'm jealous they enjoyed it so much).

Hide contents

I think it comes down to different loves for the show. I appreciate that people enjoy a big battle and dragons, and I do too, but I like GoT for its political intrigue and character development, and that didn't feel like it had any of that outside the gold stuff, which was foreshadowed right near the start.

I agree about the pacing too, it very much feels like the writers said "shit, we're all out of scenes to take from the books, let's just finish the rest on barebones". There's definitely some context and some subtle drama missing, even though the cinematography is absolutely on point (except for Dany's looking like a small hand fan is on her whilst she is riding a fucking dragon through the air, which is so absurdly petty of me to notice).

Spoiler

I still think the political intrigue is there, it's just that now the build-up has largely concluded and now we are into the true war. This week you had Dany shoring up an alliance with the North, Arya's return potentially shifting the dynamic of power at Winterfell (as regards Baelish, with Jon absent) and a strategic war retaliation in the attack on the Lannister forces. 

I don't think the writers are struggling by on barebones with no book either, in fact I flat disagree with that. There are limited episodes now so pretty much every scene has to be of some overall significance to the wider story and that is what's happening, there's nothing wrong with the pacing of the show when you factor in the reduction in episodes and the fact we're ramping up to the endgame now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lint said:

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty sure it was Bronn.  If you pause it at the right moment, you can see the guy who saved him was unarmored.  Dickon was wearing armor, Bronn wasn't-/spoiler]

Spoiler

Plus like right before you see Bronn look straight at a white horse, making you think he's going to run.  The dude who saved Jamie was riding that horse so it was 100% Bronn.  Bronn and Jamie are going to be captured so Bronn can bridge the gap between Jamie and Tyrion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1