House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

This episode was worth it just to hear Tormund talk about the giant ugly babies he'd have with Brienne

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Benji said:

So real talk...

Hide contents

Why does the wall not have a moat around it if it's that simple to stop white walkers? :lol:

I joke of course, but it felt very silly. Even dumber is that the heroes apparently bad abundant fire but didn't think to make their moat bigger so they would have more time.

Tormund almost dying had me pleading with the Old Gods and the New.

Hide contents

I seriously doubt that. Bran is emotionless, but the guy being turned into the Night King was a panicky mess.

RE: The chains - dude is a magic being created by wood fairies who can reach into the visions of people who can see all time, do we really need to question why he had chains?

Spoiler

I don't think it's that that guy is Bran, it's that Bran has warged into that guy, who is now The Night King. 

• Like 1

This episode. THIS EPISODE.

I thought Tormund was a goner too, I kept thinking they didn't have that many red shirts who the fuck just died! And then like oh it's fine there's Tormu-WAIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING. The talk about the giant babies with Brienne was a little too "one day from retirement" for my liking.

Bloody Hound. He had some good one liners but still. Leave the fuckin zombies alone k.

I was a bit weirded out with the blooming romance between Jon and Dany. They've already all but explicitly said he's a Targaryen so I wonder if they're trying to parallel the Jaime/Cersei stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think it's that that guy is Bran, it's that Bran has warged into that guy, who is now The Night King. 

Spoiler

If the endgame of the show is that everything that happaned is Bran's fault because he has no idea what he is doing because he is a incompetent piece of shit because he got his mentor killed before his training was over I'm going to be very disappointed.

12 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Leave it to GoT fans to spend 6 seasons moaning about everything being dragged out, and this season moaning about everything being too rushed.

Seriously this. That was everyone's gripe with the show and now that multiple people are meeting up and the storylines are finally being progressed and coming together, everyone loses their minds.

Edited by punky

Leave it to people to misunderstand that it isn't about the fact that everything is moving faster, but, rather, that it doesn't make sense given how time has been presented on this show. Personally, it doesn't bother me much though the raven that was sent in last night's episode was a moment where I was like "really?" but there is a right way to do time jumps and then there's the way they've decided to start doing them now.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Leave it to GoT fans to spend 6 seasons moaning about everything being dragged out, and this season moaning about everything being too rushed.

I get where you are coming from but I think there can a happy medium between dragging everything out, having everyone move further apart and and getting everyone involved in more and more subplots (which I've heard Martin being criticized for by some book fans) and rushing everything to get to the end as fast as possible and logic and character developement be damned like the showrunners are doing with this show. And especially after episode 5 I simply don't buy their excuse of not having enough material. You could've easily stretched the plot of this episode out over like 3 episodes.

Edited by Hellraiser

8 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

I mean...

Hide contents

I can buy Dani getting north super quick because yknow, she's got a fairly rapid mode of transport. No idea how Gendry could run back AND a raven get sent to her in less than a day though. Seems a bit much. 

Spoiler

Spent a lot of time rowing. Gendry never missed leg and core day.

• Like 7

The thing that I'm not a fan of anymore is that everyone feels too safe. One of the main appeals of the show at the start was that anyone could die, it doesn't feel like that anymore. 

I see lots of people saying that this week's episode was totally "unpredictable". Am I the only one that found it completely predictable then? I mean, they were never going to die, Dany was always going to show up with dragons and one of the dragons was always going to end up a White Walker dragon. I called it all as it was going. 

I just want that unpredictability back.

Although every single line of the Hound's dialogue was immense. 

Also, the Arya/Sansa scene was class, purely because of the fact Sansa was freaked the fuck out and kept asking "What are those faces?!" and pretty much ignoring everything Arya was saying to a point.

I always liked the slow burn myself, so I wasn't one of those people complaining about things not being fast enough. I think there's a difference between events progressing quickly and events seeming to be rushed, and I fall in the latter category.

Don't get me wrong; I haven't started disliking the show as a whole and I'm still very much looking forward to the next episode. I described this last one as being "not for me", and I'm not going to start heated arguments with anyone who disagrees. What I've found over the years since the show started is that there are groups of people who like it for different reasons, and we're probably not all going to be pleased all of the time. I can take the rough with the smooth.

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I always liked the slow burn myself, so I wasn't one of those people complaining about things not being fast enough. I think there's a difference between events progressing quickly and events seeming to be rushed, and I fall in the latter category.

Don't get me wrong; I haven't started disliking the show as a whole and I'm still very much looking forward to the next episode. I described this last one as being "not for me", and I'm not going to start heated arguments with anyone who disagrees. What I've found over the years since the show started is that there are groups of people who like it for different reasons, and we're probably not all going to be pleased all of the time. I can take the rough with the smooth.

This is me basically. 

I just feel it has gone a bit "Hollywood". That's not to say I don't like it, it's just very different to the previous 6 seasons.

38 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

I mean...

Hide contents

I can buy Dani getting north super quick because yknow, she's got a fairly rapid mode of transport. No idea how Gendry could run back AND a raven get sent to her in less than a day though. Seems a bit much. 

Spoiler

I don't think it was less than a day though. I think it may have been at least a day or longer, the ice needed time to refreeze. I do understand the "speed" complaint but I also think that many of those spots this season weren't as fast as people think, they were just contained in one episode instead of waiting a few episodes to make it seem like a lot of time has passed. I feel like people keep forgetting that all of these characters are starting to finally meet and come together, so we aren't spending one episode on 6 to 8 different places in the world because everyone is spaced out. Everyone is closer together now and things seem quicker because you're not going to scenes from The Wall to Winterfell to Dorne to King's Landing to Mereen to the Iron Islands and all of the other places. Granted, there were two or three instances where even I was like "really?" but a lot of shows are like that and I could have way worse complaints.

• Like 1

Pitching in after not having pitched in all season. The show has suffered greatly in writing and pacing when HBO decided to rush to a conclusion in two shortened seasons. Time and Space has become meaningless, people do overly ridiculous things, People get away with too many dumb things (which would get characters killed v. quick three seasons ago), and in general they manage to spoil their own big moments in the show itself.

I could get behind the fact Gendry is the fastest runner in all the world to get an emergency message out, and I can suspend my disbelief in thinking that a Raven can fly to the south in just one night. But then they had to give us a moment where Danaerys hops on her dragons to go there, killing all the possible suspense that they tried to build up with the misfits being surrounded by the night army.

They gave us a few scares with Tormund and a few others, but we knew that their plan would succeed in the end. And Jon has been built up enough to not die like this with the finish line in sight.

Also, Danaerys' reaction or lack thereof when one of her 'children' got lanced by Night King was jarring bordering on the comical. And that's ignoring the paper thin romance plot they've built between Jon and Danaerys because they can't give it a proper burn.

Meanwhile, Arya has become insufferable and mercurial. I can get behind her distrust of her sister with the company she keeps, but her actions cross over into the unreasonable more often than not. Why is she so ridiculous vague about her motives, it just feels so artificially written because Arya never before voice any dislike towards her sister in the years she was roaming.

And about the Ice thing, they are in the extreme north of the world, one of the guys died from hypothermia (and bloodloss, granted) during the night, and I assume that it's not a sudden cold snap. Ice shouldn't start cracking the moment six guys run onto it, since you can argue that it's been -30~ for a while now and that the ice has been allowed to settle for a very long time. But that's neither here nor there, and I could suspend my disbelief over that.

tl;dr - Pacing is confusing, writing has become pretty dire, but the show keeps me because the action is good and i'm seven fucking seasons into a show and I want to see how it ends. It won't become Dexter bad, I know that, but damn, HBO fumbled bad on deciding to shorten the final seasons.

And basically the show has struggled ever since they ran out of book material to work with, and now that they need to write their own story it just struggles to deliver the same type of depth and intrigue GRRM had managed to write.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1