Sign in to follow this  
hugobomb

Game of Thrones

Spoiler

I thought it was a bit funny that when they were doing the ending, they didn't include Bran in the Starks-are-walking monologue. I mean maybe it wouldn't have been so cool to see wooden wheels instead of feet, but it's almost like the show themselves acknowledging they don't give a shit about Bran, like "yeah we kept him in because GRRM really liked him, but we know you guys like the other Starks better".

Also besides Pod and Brienne, who do you guys think the other Kingsguard are? Or are there no other characters alive? I kind of want to know that pretty badly.

What was with the whole Sam standing up and saying they should include the common folk only to get laughed at? Who exactly was that directed to?

10 minutes ago, Lint said:

Hide contents

Greyworm set the Unsullied on a course for Naath, to live the life of peace he envisioned before Missandei died.  But they said in an earlier season that butterflies on Naath carry a disease that basically makes the flesh peel off your bones.  I assume Missandei's people have a natural immunity to it, but does that mean the Unsullied are going to die a horrifying death?

To answer that question in the spoiler box: I kind of hope so!

• Like 1

Also, Sam's heart was in the right place regarding getting the common folk involved with leadership. However, remember how well immediately changing an institution entrenched in centuries of usage worked out with Dany.

54 minutes ago, Lint said:

Hide contents

Greyworm set the Unsullied on a course for Naath, to live the life of peace he envisioned before Missandei died.  But they said in an earlier season that butterflies on Naath carry a disease that basically makes the flesh peel off your bones.  I assume Missandei's people have a natural immunity to it, but does that mean the Unsullied are going to die a horrifying death?

Spoiler

If they do, you'd think that they wouldn't even have to uphold their promise to send Jon to the Night's Watch. They could have just hidden him under a blanket and waited for the Unsullied to sail away.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Awful.

Spoiler

Come on! They had that one shot of Danny with Drogon's wings behind her! That was pretty cool! :shifty:

Spoiler

I don't mean to be "that guy" but to everyone who dislikes it so much, what would you have done differently?

Baring in mind your limitations are that you have sixty minutes of airtime to work with, the balance of keeping people happy between the fans who started with the books and the fans who only watched the show, and the creator of the whole premise giving you a smattering of details to work with, including the ending which you have to stick to, and nothing more.

As a given, taking the stupid self-referential book out of the equation will be top of most lists I'm sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

I don't mean to be "that guy" but to everyone who dislikes it so much, what would you have done differently?

Baring in mind your limitations are that you have sixty minutes of airtime to work with, the balance of keeping people happy between the fans who started with the books and the fans who only watched the show, and the creator of the whole premise giving you a smattering of details to work with, including the ending which you have to stick to, and nothing more.

As a given, taking the stupid self-referential book out of the equation will be top of most lists I'm sure.

Spoiler

I mean, first answer is surely to not impose that limit on yourselves in the first place?

• Like 1

Not the way I wanted to end, but won't hate on it for that, because that's how things go. 

Was alright enough really.

I've had most of a day to ponder over the episode, and I still can't manage to hate it. More to the point, I still can't muster any strong feelings either way. I think Series 7 made me apathetic because I could see the story was going in a direction that didn't particularly interest me, and I don't think I've got my enthusiasm back since then. More than anything else, I was looking forward to Series 8 just to get some closure, rather than because I was excited about what was going to happen.

I've gone from waiting eagerly for each series to start to being glad it's all over. That's not even to say that I didn't like watching. Really, I think I'd made peace a while ago with the fact that the show wasn't going to do as much for me as it used to.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if/when the "Last Watch" documentary will air in the UK? I know it's slated for next Sunday on HBO and wondered if it was going to be on Sky Atlantic.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I mean, not alienating the one man that knew how the pieces of the puzzle would fit together is a good start. As is not imposing a half season on yourselves when your network has granted you as many episodes as you need to tie the story up conclusively (including additional seasons!) just because you want to start playing Star Wars ASAP instead.

Other than that, I dunno, maybe more than five seconds of thought into literally any aspect of the story's conclusion? Maybe when you ask yourself how Jon Snow could possibly have survived the Unsullied and Dothraki undoubtedly baying for the blood of the man who murdered their Queen, your answer shouldn't be "just fade to black and fast forward a few weeks." Maybe ask yourself why Dorne and the Ironborn are not only totally cool with the North gaining independence ahead of them despite seeking it longer than them, but also being totally okay with a rigged election made up almost entirely of Starks and Stark loyalists.

Besides all that, it's not my job to write a better story than they did. It's their job to give their project the attention that it deserved, because they're capable writers. And that's the sad thing - I do believe they're capable writers that ultimately just lost interest in the show and wanted to move on as quickly and effortlessly as possible.

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

One of the main issues I had is that I had lost all emotional investment in the characters and it was because of bad writing and characters behaving completely different to as they had done previously.

Tyrion was one of the wisest, most scheming characters of the entire series and suddenly he doesn’t have a clue. There was a line in which he said “I was a wise man once”, and I finished the line to my wife saying “until we ran out of the source material”. 

I can’t quite put my finger on it completely either, but since last season the dialogue has been, off. It hasn’t felt the same as the previous seasons, not as poetic in some way. It feels more run-of-the-mill TV show whereas before it was distinctly unique. 

One of the main things I’d have done differently is not limit the time for the final season in terms of episodes and I certainly would have had the Nights King play a more important role than cannon fodder at the end.

• Like 1

I didn’t hate it. Didn’t love it. It evoked no strong feelings. It was an episode of television that sure was there. Which isn’t great for a series finale.

• Like 2

I went into it assuming there’d be no actual finality to it. It wasn’t going to be Breaking Bad where we all knew pretty much from the start what the main character’s fate would be. But the world Martin has created is going to live on, so I assumed we’d never get a concrete “The end”. I’ve had more time to think of it and I still think I like it. I may go back in a week or two and change my mind on a rewatch but for now, I’m alright. I’m also like 25% glad it’s just done, too, though. 

I appear to be in the minority here but I loved it. 

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been said but I saw this  on twitter

Spoiler

I read someone's theory on twitter which I would post but I can't find it now. She said that they accidentally fucked themselves by electing Bran King. Because their new system is a king just rules for their lifetime and then they select a new one but whatever person the Raven thing rides in can live for thousands of years so they without knowing it elected an immortal king who is being controlled by the Raven. Like in an earlier season they asked Bran something and he said "I am not Bran" which meant he has no control anymore.

I don't know if that checks out because I don't really follow the lore or whatever but I thought it was neat. Otherwise they elected the literal most boring character king :lol: 

• Like 1

That was fucking laughably dreadful. That wasn't Game of Thrones, that was a thrown together, poorly written rush job where the characters just didn't behave like they should. They lost their way soon as the books ended but it's almost like a completely different show now.

Not sure what the spoiler rules are so I’ll spoiler just incase.

Spoiler

The more I think about the Jon killing Dany then being kept prisoner the more it makes no sense whatsoever.

I’ve been told by people “Well we have to assume he told Greyworm and the Unsullied”.

I have several issues with that. Firstly, we are the audience, you’re supposed to tell us the story. Secondly, they would have straight up murdered Jon for killing Dany. The gap in time is baffling and screams of “we really didn’t know how to get from a to b so we just skipped some time”. It’s such a big plot hole that I can’t look past.

Spoiler

Probably at least some aftermath, preferably the immediate aftermath to one of the shows lead, and the seasons key characters death.

3 minutes ago, Meacon said:

What exactly would you have wanted them to show during that time lapse though? Them rotting in their cells? The other Houses traveling to King’s Landing? I’m just unclear on what you wanted them to do there.

I wanted to see what happened. 

Spoiler

Why and how was Jon taken prisoner? Did someone see the dragon flying away with her body? Did Jon simply tell everyone he just killed her? Did he tell everyone the dragon did? Did he try to escape and was caught somehow? Why didn’t the Unsullied kill him as soon as they found out? 

This is cool.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1