House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

11 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I liked that too. It could've happened much sooner though. Littlefinger has basically been doing fuck all since he dropped off Sansa at Winterfell to marry Ramsay. But it was still a great moment when it finally happened.

I hate how they got us to this moment though. The whole set-up was insulting and obnoxious.

Spoiler

Because I hadn't seen Arya earlier in the episode when Sansa and Littlefinger were talking I just assumed one of them was Arya for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

I liked that too. It could've happened much sooner though. Littlefinger has basically been doing fuck all since he dropped off Sansa at Winterfell to marry Ramsay. But it was still a great moment when it finally happened.

I hate how they got us to this moment though. The whole set-up was insulting and obnoxious.

Spoiler

I think that was the point (that and giving them something to do).  It seemed so aggravating until the reveal that Sansa and Arya were on the same page the entire time and were just letting Littlefinger play his hand.

9 minutes ago, Azazel said:
  Hide contents

I think that was the point (that and giving them something to do).  It seemed so aggravating until the reveal that Sansa and Arya were on the same page the entire time and were just letting Littlefinger play his hand.

Spoiler

I don't think Sansa and Arya were on the same page until Littlefinger did his little "I play a game" spiel. It was at that moment that Sansa figured out that Arya would never want to be the Lady of Winterfell, or Queen of the North.

• Like 3

A moral problem I still have with this show (don't read if you don't want to be bothered)

Spoiler

People keep talking about this being the beginning of Jamie's redemption arc? Fuck that! The guy raped his sister in front of the dead body of their son. How the hell can you think anything of that guy? I can get swept up in the fun of his scenes with Bronn and Tyrion but to think he deserves any kind of happy ending or can be redeemed is insane to me

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

A moral problem I still have with this show (don't read if you don't want to be bothered)

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Same. I want him to do his part in defending the good people. Then I want him to die. Not a hero, but someone who sheepishly finally did what was needed when so many others did it without so much prompting. And without being a rapist. It probably won't happen quite like that, but it's what I want.

I guess what I most want is for the producers to admit that they've done some really inexcusable things in their storytelling with rape. Even though I know that won't happen.

8 minutes ago, Joshu Picchu said:
  Hide contents

Same. I want him to do his part in defending the good people. Then I want him to die. Not a hero, but someone who sheepishly finally did what was needed when so many others did it without so much prompting. And without being a rapist. It probably won't happen quite like that, but it's what I want.

I guess what I most want is for the producers to admit that they've done some really inexcusable things in their storytelling with rape. Even though I know that won't happen.

Spoiler

Isn't the point of a redemption arc for them to redeem themselves for the bad things they have done?  Most of the characters in the story have done bad things but have grown and changed and become likable characters with Jamie and Theon being the main ones.  The story takes place during a huge war in medieval times so its not like the same rules apply.

3 minutes ago, Azazel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The rule that rape is god-awful always applies. And maybe I would feel differently if it had been presented as "Look at this awful, awful thing Jamie just did." But it never was.

But given the bad places this conversation can so easily go, that's the last I'm going to comment on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joshu Picchu said:
  Hide contents

The rule that rape is god-awful always applies. And maybe I would feel differently if it had been presented as "Look at this awful, awful thing Jamie just did." But it never was.

But given the bad places this conversation can so easily go, that's the last I'm going to comment on it.

Spoiler

Don't forget he pushed a child out of a window when he was caught banging Cersei.

The GoT world is bang full of people who have done awful stuff.

2 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

To be fair that was consensual in the books and that was a very odd creative choice by the show writers. It was just run of the mill incest in front of you dead son/nephew king. Almost every main character in the show apart from maybe Jon or Brienne has done terrible stuff though, so he's as eligible for a redemption arc as anybody else is I suppose.

23 minutes ago, TCO said:
  Hide contents

To be fair that was consensual in the books and that was a very odd creative choice by the show writers. It was just run of the mill incest in front of you dead son/nephew king. Almost every main character in the show apart from maybe Jon or Brienne has done terrible stuff though, so he's as eligible for a redemption arc as anybody else is I suppose.

Spoiler

What did Ser Pounce do >:( 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MDK said:
  Hide contents

What did Ser Pounce do >:( 

You really think the Green Trial was Cersei's idea? Nah, he was like "This new bitch has to go, Tommen's MINE."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCO said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

See this is my point and why I hesitated to bring this up. What would these characters have to do to not deserve the chance at redemption? And you didn't bring it up but I am sick to fucking death of the "oh it's medieval times it was different" fuck off with that noise. Has any rape in this show forwarded the plot at all?

• Like 3

Spoiler

I find much of the support for certain other characters to be highly selective too.

A lot of people are rooting for Tormund, even though he led a raid on a civilian village and murdered its residents left, right and centre.

A lot of people are rooting for Yara, who's implied to have done similar things in her naval endeavours.

The Hound is a fan favourite who's murdered several innocent people, sometimes in their own homes.

Many fans were still cheering on Stannis long after he'd used dark magic to murder his brother and had burned members of his own family (and that's before the Shireen incident) because they wouldn't abandon the religions of their ancestors.

Khal Drogo had a big fanbase, even when he was leading raids on nearby villages, whose residents were then butchered and raped for sport.

Then there's Daenerys, who found one of the aforementioned residents (after she'd been raped three times by her Dothraki clan) and forced her perform blood magic to keep Drogo alive, even though said resident told her in no uncertain terms that it was a bad idea. When, lo and behold, it did turn out to be a bad idea, Daenerys had her burned to death.

While I enjoy watching and reading about all these characters, I can't see how they're in any position to 100% redeem themselves for their past actions. They can fight for the "good" side and take down the White Walkers, but we shouldn't forget their misdeeds either.

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ramsay. If Ramsay treats Sansa properly I doubt she kills him the way she did and I also doubt she kills Littlefinger. IIRC there's also an aspect of sexual assault to his torture of Theon and that has definitely been relevant to the plot at points.

The Jamie and Cersei stuff was weird. It definitely felt very tonally out of place and given how sensitive people are to that subject matter was probably a bad idea. It definitely hasn't made Jamie anymore likeable.

4 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I feel like they could have easily gotten across how awful Ramsay was without doing what they did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, no rape we've actually seen (Dany and Drogo, the fucked up one between Jaime and Cersei, Craster's wives, etc) didn't do much to the plot. Rapes that happened off screen, either during the plot of before it (Ramsay's conception) certainly have had an impact, as well as attempted ones (like with Brienne) 

For the one with Ramsay and Sansa, I admit it was in pretty poor taste, a cutaway probably would've worked once he lifted the dress, because we would've known Ramsay went ahead with it, and if the viewers are thick headed enough, Sansa can just say it. I don't know what they were aiming for.