House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Guest mr. potato head

Rewatching the first season (well some of it anyhow). Thing I didn't pick up on the first time through: within the first three episodes, two people have promised Jon Snow to have certain conversations the next time they see him. Neither get that chance. :(

Guest mr. potato head

That's one. The other is with Benjyn before he goes out in search of the White Walkers, I guess that's not a confirmed "will never happen" based on what we've seen so far (haven't read the books) but looking pretty likely.

The makers of Game of Thrones have apologised for a decapitated head resembling George W Bush that appeared in the first series.

HBO said it was "deeply dismayed" about the head's likeness to the former US president.

It appears in a scene where King Joffrey shows Sansa Stark her father's head on a spike.

Show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss also put out a statement apologising for any offence caused.

They explained that the show used many fake body parts, many which were rented out.

"After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush.

"In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have.

"We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

HBO's statement also described the matter as "unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste".

"We made this clear to the executive producers of the series who apologized immediately for this inadvertent careless mistake.

"We are sorry this happened and will have it removed from any future DVD production."

The head appears in profile in the final episode of the first series.

In the DVD commentary to the show, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss mention its apparent likeness to George W Bush.

However they tell viewers of the fantasy series: "It's not a choice, it's not a political statement. We just had to use whatever head we had around."

Game of Thrones, set in the fictional world of Westeros, is based on the A Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R.R. Martin.

It's been a big success for HBO - both in terms of viewers and box set sales - and was recently recommissioned for a third series.

I always do, but I'm a special features person, I know most of them are cheap tagged on things (though I think the GoT ones are pretty good) but can't stop myself. Though sometimes the commentaries put me off, last one I saw was Kit Harrington and a writer and it put me to sleep so not got up to that one yet...

However they could've solved the problem by saying "Syrio is indeed a faceless man and was killed after changing his face to someone else so that ends that debate, thank you".

I'm like lanky, I'm a special features type of person. If I'm going to get something on DVD or blu-ray, it's partly because I want to own it and partly because I want to watch deleted scenes, commentaries etc.

I'm still a little miffed by the lack of Ramsey and the Reed siblings not being included yet, but they are in next season so I guess that's okay.

There are a few things I've realized that the show does that differs from my view on characters in the books, some characters I love/hate more based off the show. Bronn is probably my favorite character in the series, and in the show he is beyond fantastic. Although I don't like how they are trying to take the hate off of Cercei in the show and push it onto Joffrey, both as terrible people but Cercei is definitely the worse of the two.

As for who Jon's mother is...

There is a huge theory on this that I could get into but the show has had absolutely none of the flashbacks/prophecies so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to someone just watching the show, but I understand them cutting it out of the show because it would be hard to keep the mystery.

It's difficult. Some people it's blindingly obvious to and with the content within the books so far it looks pretty concrete BUT official outcome in scenario hasn't come out just yet. I do find it very interesting that relevant scenes appear to have been cut from the story which suggests, to me, it is a spoiler and as so many readers worked it out by the end of Game of Thrones they're taking it and hiding it a lot more.

BOOK SPOILERS

I've finished Dances with Dragons now. All of the stories are interesting barring Daenerys', towards the end I was just skipping her chapters, the only interesting people she has around her are the one member of her Queensguard and Strong Belwas.

Edited by GoGo YuBat Commander

You pretty much just outlined the state of a major character as of the latest book. I mean, it wasn't like "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE" or something but still.