House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

!BOOK SPOILERS AND SPECULATION FOR THE SEASON FINALE! Don't click it unless you've read A Storm of Swords, yo.

I'm hoping that Thoros and the Brotherhood Without Banners find Catelyn's body and her resurrection is the big cliffhanger going into season 4. That'd be dope. I could get behind some Lady Stoneheart in season 4, even though the reveal of Catelyn's resurrection isn't until the epilogue of A Storm of Swords.

That is almost definitely the final scene for this season. Before that will

probably be the Lannisters conclusion. Holy shit, there's only one episode left

and still a whole lot of shit to be done for Storm Of Swords.

I expect SoS to be done roughly half way through the next series. They are aiming to finish the whole thing at the end of the seventh and they've saved time by keeping Theon active with his DwD arc coming in a little earlier (of course, most of that was semi-flashback in that case).

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Do not diss Jon "best character factually" Snow. He's as complex a character as GRRM created (with the exception of maybe Jaime) and is so fucking awesome.

I know Jon is popular but "complex" is a word I don't tend to see attributed to him.

SPOILERS FOR THE BOOKS

He's a false bastard who is really a Targaryen and likely Azor Ahai. On top of this he is burdened with difficult decisions in his time on The Wall given the difficulties of leading a band of men who cannot be led. His interactions with Melisandre/Stannis show a lot of his depth. He takes awhile to develop, but given the amount of challenging decisions he's had to make if he is Azor Ahai we're looking at a guy filled with emotions pulling him in all directions.

I would never compare him to Jaime, whose redemption story is the most engaging part of the books now (though assassin's creed Arya has potential) but Jon has a lot of dimensions that could come to the fore if he is the prince that was promised.

Which is fine but...

he doesn't know any of that. Which means its not him that's complex. Once in charge he bumbles a bit and a lot of his decisions are, like the previous books, largely out of his control. He struggles in command but its not complexity of character that makes him do so. His character is "I'm a bastard and I was treated quite well and want to make my dad to be proud"

There are plenty of implications of things better but it's not him as a character that discovers them.

People are actually whining about that ending on Twitter. After Ned's death, how can people still watch and be annoyed/surprised when a major character dies?

Surely that's a compliment to the show? It proves how much people have invested into the characters.

That ending was shocking, I'm just glad that Arya didn't go in and see the bodies, that would have been devastating to watch.

I also keep waiting for more of Westeros to be populated by more and more Skins characters.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did an interview with the AV Club!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nikolaj-costerwaldau-aka-jaime-lannister-talks-his,98673/

It contains spoilers, obvs.