Sign in to follow this  
hugobomb

Game of Thrones

brienne is basically john cena of GoT. that scene with her and sansa one of the worst in the show

That'd be the writers of the show, completely changing her plot, making her seem like an idiot and pointless character!

My problem with it is that she's trying to take her away from Littlefinger, okay, that makes sense from her perspective... but take her back where? To Kings Landing, somewhere much worse? I can excuse it because Brienne has always been a bit too fast to action, so it's not out of character, but it definitely makes her seem a bit silly.

• Like 1

brienne is basically john cena of GoT. that scene with her and sansa one of the worst in the show

Why was it? Brienne is basically female Ned Stark, what with all her honour and duties etc.

She's even as naive as he was too, that's why she can't understand why people question her motives, don't believe her honorable intentions or refuse her service. But look at how she would be viewed from the outside.

Was present at Renly's death along with Cat Stark, who certainly couldn't have killed him.

Swore to protect Cat Stark, failed.

Delivered Jamie Lannister back to Kings Landing and is now carrying a Lannister forged Valyrian steel sword and is accompained by a known Lannister squire.

If you were a Stark who is wanted for regicide by the Lannisters and were presented with that as evidence, would you trust her?

• Like 3

Yeah I don't see how it was a bad scene at all. It reinforced character traits in a way that felt genuine to the character (she's honorable) and the world (honorable people don't succeed), developing the character beyond Tall Badass That Felt Sorry for Jaime Lannister. That's what you want writers to do.

Edited by livid

My problem with it is that she's trying to take her away from Littlefinger, okay, that makes sense from her perspective... but take her back where? To Kings Landing, somewhere much worse? I can excuse it because Brienne has always been a bit too fast to action, so it's not out of character, but it definitely makes her seem a bit silly.

Brienne's current story just seems like a device to get her to Winterfell for a chance to face off against Stannis. I imagine she'll join the Boltons to protect Sansa and then die in battle.

I wanted the Brienne storyline to result in her beating the living daylights out of Jaime after one insult too many, leading to Jaime finally shutting up and learning to respect her. While we sort of got that, it wasn;;t nearly as satisfying as I wanted it to be, but not everyone does get their comeuppance on this show. I do quite like the way Gwendoline Christie plays the role, though. Brienne is supposed to be a female misfit trying to live in what is traditionally a world of knights in shining armour, and the way in which Christie portrays a well-intentioned, battle-hardened, yet somewhat socially and diplomatically inept woman fits the part well in my opinion.

• Like 1

I recorded the simulcast whilst I was at home and watched it before I came back to Cardiff, so I've spoilered a few thoughts for those waiting until this evening.

Stannis continues to be exceptionally good.

Jaime finally found a use for his fake hand!

I don't really think they could have dropped more hints towards a certain fan theory if they tried :P

Faith Militant are fucking terrifying. I do like how they've been handling the religious aspects this season.

Ser Barristan :crying:

Not really enjoying this season so far...

Kind of sick already of the two groups in two places suddenly appearing (Harpies and Sparrows) and taking over the streets of their respective cities, it just feels a lot like filler rather than focusing on the stories we've spent four seasons on. I do like that we're finally getting to the religious aspects though.

Still want to fucking know where Gendry is as well.

Also killing Ser Barristan sucks, I really liked him, but it keeps with the usual "you can't be a genuinely moral man in this world" theme.

I actually quite like that they've gone so far from the books, because holy fuck that episode. Thoughts on the end-

I think they missed a trick on the reveal of which queen Jorah was taking Tyrion to. In the book that was a holy shit moment for sure, but this was just like a "oh by the way," kinda deal.

I really hope that Barristan and Grey Worm are still alive, though they looked pretty fucked up. This bit in relation to the books-

I want to see the Barristan vs that pit fighter guy. So I hope they are alive.

Oh wow, Cersei.

On top of the most obvious dumb thing she did this week, there's the second, more delightful potential fuckup; she just sent her main enforcer to Braavos.

Braavos, where precisely one other main cast member is. A main cast member that's wanted to kill him for like three and a half seasons. Watch out for A Girl, Meryn Trant.

Oh wow, Cersei.

On top of the most obvious dumb thing she did this week, there's the second, more delightful potential fuckup; she just sent her main enforcer to Braavos.

Braavos, where precisely one other main cast member is. A main cast member that's wanted to kill him for like three and a half seasons. Watch out for A Girl, Meryn Trant.

I hadn't thought about that. Now you've got my hopes up.

As for Cersei, I'm with many others in thinking that this could well be her downfall. Enlisting the help of a violent religious cult to remove homosexual "sinners" when you're in an incestuous relationship with your brother is a classic case of not thinking things through.

Also, Jonathan Pryce's High Sparrow is great. He delivers his lines in such a gentle, measured tone, which surely belies his presumably ruthless methods of command.

• Like 1

Yeah, Jonathan Pryce is a wonderful addition. Love him as the High Sparrow.

• Like 2

So, have all the episodes that were leaked been aired now?

Hopefully someone will leak the rest of the series now >_>

Oh wow, Cersei.

As for Cersei, I'm with many others in thinking that this could well be her downfall. Enlisting the help of a violent religious cult to remove homosexual "sinners" when you're in an incestuous relationship with your brother is a classic case of not thinking things through.

Also, Jonathan Pryce's High Sparrow is great. He delivers his lines in such a gentle, measured tone, which surely belies his presumably ruthless methods of command.

Is Meryn one of those on Arya's list? If so, could someone remind me for why?

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

So he did, thank you.

On that point, we never actually saw Syrio dead did we?

Oh wow, Cersei.

He killed Syrio.

So he did, thank you.

On that point, we never actually saw Syrio dead did we?

Nope