General Football Thread

Starvinho

• Admin

Two men have been charged with conspiracy to defraud as part of a National Crime Agency investigation into football match-fixing.

The men, who are alleged to be members of an international illegal betting syndicate based in Singapore, are among six people arrested earlier this week as part of the investigation.
A seventh man has since been arrested and he and four others have been bailed pending further enquiries.

These two guys who have been arrested are appearing at Cannock magistrates tomorrow. I might go and see if I can get some betting tips.

Yeah, caught Marcotti tweeting about this and had a look at it, pretty bad stuff. There's a full video around, a couple of grim scenes and shows the one guy getting his head stamped into the concrete unconscious, turned it off at that stage, sickening. 3 in a coma was it or has it turned out worst than that?

4 in a coma, but all of them have no risk of death. And that part you talked about is like, the tip of the iceberg. A guy carried out to the helicopter naked, there was this Vasco fan who had an iron cane with a nail attached to it and he used to hit an Atletico fan in the head several times.

Edited by RafaelFms

• Admin
Blackburn striker DJ Campbell is one of six people arrested by police as part of a match fixing probe.
The 32-year-old, who has played for a host of English clubs including Brentford, Leicester and QPR, has not been charged. Police are continuing to question the six people after ex-Portsmouth defender Sam Sodje told a reporter he was involved in fixing matches.

My new favourite headline: Player breaks ankle in horror tackle, gets up and punches opponent, then sent off and hospitalised.

You can't make that shit up. It's not that bad the video, but spoilered for the squeamish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0T0XBjdRSfU

Interestingly, it's the same guy that got knocked out when the former Liverpool youth player kicked him in the face the season before last.

The scary thing about DJ Campbell is he played 32 times the season we (Leicester) got relegated to League 1, he was signed for a decent fee and a really good contract for Championship level - and then proceeded to constantly get offside (15 times against Scunthorpe in one game I believe) and quite few bookings during the course of the season, this could yet be just the tip of the iceberg, if that guy is partly responsible for our relegation for intentionally playing crap or whatever else then this is going to blow up to crazy levels, we were more likely in the bookmakers to get into the promotion places that year.

There were also internal rumblings of a few other fringe players from our club having a bet on a League Cup game against Burton last year - which we lost 4-2 (I believe) at home...when im talking "fringe" here as well i'm not talking a reserve side, just guys who were still on inflated contracts £30k+ a week who Pearson wasn't playing due to attitude, wages or whatever else. There's quite a bit of food for thought here, innocent until proven guilty I know, but like I said this could just be the beginnings of a serious dressing down for the English game. Sod's law its my football club as well no doubt.

• Admin
Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out is investigating alleged racist abuse at a Watford Under-18s match in Italy.
The Watford youngsters were trailing Italian side Latina 1-0 in a Wojtyla Cup fixture on Wednesday when they were taken off by coach David Hughes.
"Kick It Out is making enquiries to establish the full facts surrounding an alleged racist incident," a statement from the group said.
Watford have confirmed an incident took place and are set to make a statement.
The Wojtyla Cup was created in memory of Pope John Paul II, who was born Karol Wojtyla.
The tournament's website says: "Young football players from different countries, cultures, religions and races will meet and through football will be fostered to know and to face each other, learning to respect their differences.
"[The tournament] wants to spread the values of fairness, the opening to diversity."
Watford, who are owned by the Italian Pozzo family, are the first English team to play in the competition's nine-year history.
Before their match with Latina, Watford had beaten Bulgarian team PFK Lokomotiv Sofia 2-1 and played out a goalless draw against Slovakian outfit FK Senica.