Sign in to follow this  
Starvinho

General Football Thread

Chelsea LFC secure the league/cup double after a 2-0 win over Bristol City WFC, adding to the pile of Chelsea teams winning All The Things except for the senior men's team. Because of course.

Has anyone been watching anything on the History Channel in the past few days? This week and next it's entirely devoted to football, in the leadup to the World Cup, and some of their original programming is really excellent. Worth catching some of it.

23 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Has anyone been watching anything on the History Channel in the past few days? This week and next it's entirely devoted to football, in the leadup to the World Cup, and some of their original programming is really excellent. Worth catching some of it.

I have a few programmes recorded, namely the Return to Turin series, Stanley Matthews documentary.

I did watch the Top 20 moments of the World Cup which was quite good. Although one thing that really confuses me is that whenever I see any footage from the 1998 tournament, it seems to be in slow motion. I don't understand why.

Really interesting interview with Big Nev.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/neville-southall-flak-sex-workers-lgbt-issues

What did Southall make of the furore last week over Raheem Sterling and calls for England to drop him because of a still-incomplete tattoo of a gun on his leg – which the Manchester City forward chose to have done in memory of his father who was shot dead when he was two years old? “That was brought up by some prick,” Southall snorts. “Piers Morgan is a prick. What gives him the right to say what can be on your body? If Sterling had tattooed a massive cock on his leg I would say: ‘It reminds me of Piers Morgan.’”

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Chris Coleman has picked up Manuel Pellegrini's old gig in China.

Hayden Christensen? Really? I know he's not doing anything else but there must be an Irish barman or something somewhere in Manchester. 

Just reading the notes from the safe standing debate in Parliament, some of the banter between the Portsmouth and Southampton MPs is amazing. 

"I must admit that I am puzzled about why the Government think standing becomes safer as the quality of football gets worse. If that is true, Southampton fans should not be made to sit." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Barcelona have denied that former president Sandro Rosell illegally bought a liver for ex-defender Eric Abidal, who needed a transplant.

More to follow.

Erm.

• Confused 3

Man Utd Women: Alex Greenwood & Siobhan Chamberlain among 21 new players

England left-back Alex Greenwood and goalkeeper Siobhan Chamberlain are among 21 new players in Manchester United Women's squad for 2018-19.

The Red Devils will end their 13-year absence from the senior women's game when they join the second tier.

Former England international Casey Stoney was named as United's head coach in June.

"We've gone young, we've gone exciting, we've gone entertaining," she told the club website.

"I'm more than aware that we're bringing 21 strangers together but I'm really excited about the squad and the future of this team."

Greenwood, 24, and Chamberlain, 34, are regular members of the Lionesses' squad bidding to qualify for the 2019 Women's World Cup in France, but will now spend next season in the second division.

There are seven former United youth players in the squad, which has an average age of 21.

Katie Zelem is one of those to return as a senior player following a year with Juventus, in which she helped the Italian club win their first Women's Serie A title.

Striker Jessica Sigsworth, formerly of Doncaster Rovers Belles, was the top scorer in the second tier last season with 16 league goals.

Like Greenwood and Chamberlain, Amy Turner, Martha Harris and Emily Ramsey all join United from Liverpool.

Two Scotland internationals, defender Kirsty Smith and striker Lizzie Arnot, arrive after leaving Hibernian Ladies, where they played under new United assistant Willie Kirk.

The squad also includes also includes Lucy Roberts, the great great grand-daughter of Charlie Roberts, who was United's first captain.

It is adorable when Americans try to feign knowing how football works.

:pervert:

• Like 1

Slight stature?!?! 

If he's slight I must be anorexic. 

His powerful right leg. Must be to account for his shinners. 

• Haha 1

It's basically applying Pro Evo button presses to actual football isn't it? Sometimes he holds R2 rather than blasting it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Official Collyombia said:

It's basically applying Pro Evo button presses to actual football isn't it? Sometimes he holds R2 rather than blasting it. 

Pretty much. Sometime he uses precision rather than power was my interpretation.

Back at Jenner Park today for the first Barry Town home game of pre-season! It's against the mighty Ton Pentre (I haven't heard of them either.

Got a game against a Swansea XI on Tuesday night as well, but I'm unable to attend that one. 😕

The abuse etc obviously isn't acceptable and Grindel is evidently a cock, but can you really complain about being turned into political propaganda when Erdogan used your image to bolster his own standing in Turkey? When the person you posed with has imprisoned tens of thousands and is acting increasingly dictatorial? 

39 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

The abuse etc obviously isn't acceptable and Grindel is evidently a cock, but can you really complain about being turned into political propaganda when Erdogan used your image to bolster his own standing in Turkey? When the person you posed with has imprisoned tens of thousands and is acting increasingly dictatorial? 

Yes.

Based off of the start of what you said. What has happened to him isn't acceptable.

• Like 4

I saw that after the they were eliminated, some of the papers had his image with Erdogan and literally linked that to their poor performance.

I also saw a stat that said that Mesut Ozil created more chances per 90 minutes (5.5) than any other player to play at least 90 minutes in the entire tournament. His job is to literally create goalscoring opportunities, and he created more of them than any other player. 

Mesut Ozil frustrates me as a player, but some of the constant criticism he gets in totally unwarranted and in this case they stepped over the mark as it is blatant racism/Islamaphobia, whatever you want to call it. I think it is great that he has taken a stand, because it may happen more in the future as we live in a multi-cultural society no matter how much some people on the right want to stop it. 

• Like 1

Ozil has been a scapegoat for a long time. I said previously, as an Arsenal fan, I'd much rather keep him than Sanchez if we could only have one. He's a fantastic player and is always harshly scrutinised but the Erdogan thing is really shitty. Especially when you have the likes of Salah and Matthaus etc meeting horrible dictators all over the place.

I'm glad he stood up for himself and hope he can now focus 100% proving them wrong at Arsenal.

• Like 1