General Football Thread

Starvinho

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Tony Adams revealed he has undergone minor heart surgery in Azerbaijan, an operation the former Arsenal defender said had saved his life.

Adams, who is director of football at Gabala in Azerbaijan, went under the knife after becoming unwell.

“After feeling some acute chest pain while exercising in Azerbaijan, and liaising with Gabala club doctors, I went to the Medical Plaza hospital in Baku where I was admitted for an angiogram, and then following diagnosis of a severely blocked vein, an immediate angioplasty,” Adams said.

“The brilliant surgeons at the Medical Plaza did a fantastic job – as has been reiterated to me by my cardiologist in the UK.

“I know full well that without the brilliance of Dr Uzeyir Rahimov and his team I would not be alive now: a minor heart operation saved my life.

“I would just like to say that if you, like me, have a history of heart disease in your family and you feel chest pains, get yourself to the doctor’s now.”

After making 669 appearances and winning 10 major trophies with the Gunners, the former England and Arsenal captain moved into management with Wycombe, Portsmouth and then Gabala.

Adams, 49, is said to be recuperating with his family in the UK, while Gabala travel to Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League on Thursday.

I bloody hope he is okay. I will never forget that goal he scored in the Prem, someone lumped it forward in the last minute of the game and he slotted it home instead of slicing it into row Z like I would have done.

• Admin

Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Luis Figo are three of the football greats who will take part in a charity match backed by David Beckham on Saturday.

Ex-England captain Beckham will lead a Great Britain and Ireland XI managed by his former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, at Old Trafford.

They will take on a World XI captained by France World Cup winner Zidane.

Former Chelsea, Real Madrid and AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti will manage the world side.

Money raised from ticket sales for the match, which kicks off at 15:00 GMT, will be donated to children's charity Unicef.

GB & Ireland squad: David Beckham (captain), David Seaman, David James, Jamie Carragher, Sol Campbell, Phil Neville, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Darren Fletcher, Nicky Butt, Trevor Sinclair, Paul Scholes, Gary McAllister, Ryan Giggs, Michael Owen, Peter Crouch, Alan Smith.

World squad: Zinedine Zidane (captain), Edwin van der Sar, Raimond van der Gouw, Cafu, Fernando Hierro, Fernando Couto, Mikael Silvestre, Maxwell, Luis Figo, Robert Pires, Christian Karembeu, Ji-sung Park, Clarence Seedorf, Patrick Vieira, Michael Ballack, Ronaldinho, Dwight Yorke, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Patrick Kluivert, Landon Donovan.