General Football Thread

Starvinho

22 hours ago, Cymbols said:

My newly adopted German side RB Leipzig are doing pretty well for themselves. Naby Keita scored this goal today that I can't stop watching:

What's made you adopt the new most hated team in Europe as your own? :lol:

Red Bull are apparently one of the organisations bidding on Notts Forest currently. Should be interesting.

It'll be like Germany and they won't be able to use the words Red Bull. Real Ballsport Nottingham Forest has a great ring to it. 

But surely that rumour has just come about because Leipzig signed Oliver Burke, I can't see it happening. 

33 minutes ago, MechaKanezilla said:

Why are they they new most hated team?

People, German football fans especially, seem to have a problem with a company coming in and starting a football team, despite not having problems with Volkswagen owned-VFL Wolfsburg or Bayer Leverkusen who are owned by the German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical company Bayer AG.

They also don't seem to have a problem with Bayern Munich being able to acquire the players of any club that does better than them, thanks mainly to the financial backing and presence on the board of Bayern of the chairmen of Adidas, Audi, Deutsche Telekom and Volkswagen, and board members from Allianz and UniCredit.

I think it's more that they didn't "start" a football team, they took over a team already in existence, renamed and relocated them, and then bankrolled them up the leagues at everyone else's expense. It is similar to the MK Dons situation in this country, only MK was worse in my opinion as they hijacked a well-placed league club with significant history rather than a minnow.

How would you feel if your team got taken over by a drinks company, moved to a different city and basically got completely wiped from the map?

I mean in this situation Red Bull invested in a village team that they then helped retain their own youth structure (and indeed gave back their license to later on, so that they now have an adult level team again), so it's definitely better than the MK situation, where a team with history and prominence was entirely uprooted and moved 80 miles away. MK was buying a way into the Football League through the back door. RBL actually climbed the German pyramid. Sure they had money, but so did the likes of billionaire backed Hoffenheim. :shifty:

On 25/10/2016 at 01:51, Adam said:

They were linked with Leeds for a long time, but I don't think they'd even be able to rename a team in this country. The FA don't take kindly to the idea of doing that and would know instantly the true motivation for it.

Either the FA or FL pretty much said exactly this when they were linked with us. I'm sure we'd have instantly been sponsored by red bull and would be playing at the red bull stadium and the red bull logo would be everywhere but they couldn't rename the club for sponsorship reasons and it'd be pretty hard to argue it was for any other purpose really

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Random little statistics that I got linked to:

Longest times that since clubs have been either at the top or bottom of (any) division

E.G. it has been 3,379 days since Everton were last top of the table (very briefly in August 2007).

Obviously I saw this link on a Chelsea site since Chelsea top the 'longest time since being at the bottom of any table', even though we've been relegated since so that's a pretty silly honour. :shifty: 

• 2 weeks later...