General Football Thread

Starvinho

Could eat your dinner of it as well, while apparently being able to do basic math sums that are written on the outside of it. Multi-purpose if anything.

To be fair you could eat your dinner off the Intertoto plaque. Either way if we dropped something in the middle of the Bigg Market you wouldn't even see it on the video, it'd be in someones trousers and down the nearest Metro before it hit the ground.

Beat you to it!

And yep, it was awarded to the team that got furthest in the UEFA Cup. As a route into Europe it was great, but as a trophy in its own right it was a bit silly. Still, we beat the likes of Palermo and Fenebahce to get it, so even though it wasn't up there with the Champions League nights of 10-15 years ago its not as if we didn't have to earn it.

• Admin

Bwahaha, scum fans. The best bit is when he gives the dog a double-axe handle.

BBC Sport will broadcast live coverage and highlights of England's games at this summer's Women's World Cup.

England begin their World Cup campaign against Mexico on 27 June and will also face New Zealand and Japan in their other group games in Germany.

These three fixtures will be live on the BBC Red Button and the BBC Sport website with England's progress also broadcast on the same outlets.

The World Cup final, to be held on 17 July, will be shown live on BBC Three.

Highlights of England's games will also be shown on BBC Two at 2320 on the day of each game and will be available on the Red Button and online in the UK only.

England go into the tournament, which begins on 26 June, on the back of impressive wins over former World Cup winners the United States in April and top-five ranked team Sweden last Tuesday.

Hope Powell's team have injury worries over captain Faye White and key midfielder Fara Williams, who are both hoping to be fit in time for the finals.

BBC Sport will broadcast England's first game against Mexico from 1645 BST on 27 June with all England's games hosted by Gabby Logan, former Arsenal and England defender Martin Keown and former England midfielder Jo Potter.

Nigel Adderley will be a roving reporter during the tournament and will cover all of England's matches for BBC Radio 5 live, while the BBC Sport website will provide live text commentaries, reports, interviews and analysis.

Lionel Messi has emerged unscathed after a youth aimed a punch at him outside a restaurant in his home city of Rosario on Thursday.

Barcelona star Messi had stopped to sign autographs, but one youngster who was reportedly dressed in the uniform of a nearby school, attempted to assault the Argentine before running away.

"There was a crush of people waiting outside," Pablo Moyano, who was working in the restaurant, told Argentine TV. "There were kids, reporters, photographers waiting ... and one of the kids tried to punch him. I don't know if he pulled it off. He went running afterward."

"We're taking photos and we see the arm and he dodges it. (Messi) did not react badly, he left walking and got into the (car)," witness Carolina told the TV news channel C5N.

Messi tried to play down the incident on his Facebook page.

"To relax all those people that have asked us about the truth of the accident coming out of the restaurant, tell them I did not receive any blow from anyone. I'm perfectly OK," he wrote.

Argentine media reported that Messi's aggressor was a fan of Rosario Central, arch-rivals of Newell's Old Boys where the 23-year-old began his career before moving to Spain.

Messi is currently holidaying in Rosario before the beginning of the Copa America on July 1 with Argentina facing Bolivia.

:/

Just saw this on SSN, but found the article on the Guardians website:

Irans Womens football team banned from Olympic qualifiers

Interesting that I've never seen anything similar in past, but I'm inclined to agree with the ruling given that second from right in that photo is clearly Cristiano Ronaldo, which strikes me as cheating.

Ronaldo bids farewell to Brazil team in emotional last match

SAO PAULO: Ronaldo’s career with Brazil’s national team came to an emotional end as he was given a send-off during Tuesday’s friendly game against Romania.

The striker made a cameo appearance in the game from the 30th minute until halftime, when he was honored in a ceremony that recognized his contribution to the “Selecao.”

Brazil won the match 1-0, with Fred scoring in the first half, the match is Brazil’s last before the Copa America.

The 34-year-old Ronaldo retired in February after an 18-year career. The three-time FIFA Player of the Year represented Brazil in four World Cups – winning two of them – and remains the competition’s all-time leading scorer with 15 goals. Only Pele scored more goals for Brazil than Ronaldo.

Players from both teams lined up and applauded Ronaldo as he left the field at halftime. Visibly moved, he put the Brazilian flag on his back, and with the ball in his hand, went around saluting the fans that packed the Pacaembu stadium. There were banners remembering the matches in which he scored each of his 15 World Cup goals.

“Thank you for all that you have done for me throughout my career,” Ronaldo said, addressing the supporters from the pitch. “Thank you for having accepted me the way I am, for having cried when I cried and for having smiled when I smiled.” Fans loudly chanted the striker’s name as he went into the locker rooms one last time.

“Brazil thanks Ronaldo,” read a banner held by fans. “There is only one Ronaldo,” read another.

Fred opened the scoring from close range in the 20th minute after a pass by Neymar, then celebrated with his index finger raised, mimicking Ronaldo’s trademark goal celebration.

The crowd cheered loudly every time the former striker touched the ball, and he nearly scored in the 35th after Neymar found him free from any markers in front of the net but he was unable to finish from close range.

Still out of shape, he missed another good chance in the 40th, scooping a shot from near the penalty spot and sending it way over the crossbar. Neymar set up Ronaldo again in the 43rd, but his low shot was saved.

“I had three chances, but in an ironic twist of fate I couldn’t score in my final match,” Ronaldo said. “It would have been a small retribution for all that you have done for me.” It was the first time Ronaldo played with young sensation Neymar, who is touted as his replacement in the national team. Ronaldo said this week that the Santos player has the potential to be a star for Brazil when it hosts the 2014 World Cup.

Neymar is one of the clients of the sports marketing agency that Ronaldo became a partner of after retiring.

Ronaldo also has in his portfolio young playmaker Lucas, who is touted as a future star and entered Tuesday’s match in the second half.

Among those watching Ronaldo’s farewell at Pacaembu was Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and several former Brazil teammates, including Cafu and Ricardo Rocha.

Tuesday’s match marked the end of the career of a player considered as one of the greatest Brazilian strikers of all time. He thrived with some of Europe’s top teams – Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan – but it was with Brazil that he excelled the most.

He scored 67 goals in 104 matches in the yellow shirt, behind only Pele’s 95 goals.

As a teenager, Ronaldo was a member of the squad that won the 1994 World Cup in the United States, and in 1998 he was part of the team that lost in the final to France, having taken his place in the team despite suffering seizures the night before the match.

His biggest moment came at the 2002 World Cup, after he recovered from one of the many serious knee injuries that plagued his career. He scored twice in the final against Germany to lead Brazil to a fifth world title.

Ronaldo’s debut with Brazil was as a 17-year-old in 1994, and his last official match was in the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where Brazil lost to France in the quarterfinals.

A nice send off for one of the greatest players of our generation. Pity he couldn't score though.

Great striker in his time, just a shame that injuries kinda ruined his career abit and then well the obvious weight issues at the later parts of his career. One of the best strikers i've seen during my time.

2011 Kirin Cup

1 June 2011

Japan 0-0 Peru

4 June 2011

Czech Republic 0-0 Peru

7 June 2011

Japan 0-0 Czech Republic

Team 	               Pld 	W 	D 	L 	GS 	GA 	GD     Pts

Czech Republic         2 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	0       2

Japan 	                2 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	0       2

Peru           	2 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	0       2

Best international friendly tournament ever? :shifty:

They should have had a triple-threat sudden death match to determine the winner, but instead they all just shared the cup. :(

Not just that, I'm wondering why 2 of the games were refereed by Howard Webb and Martin Atkinson.

• Admin
A woman who parades as the mascot Donny Dog at Doncaster Rovers has been sacked after posing in her underwear with the costume in a national newspaper.

Tracy Chandler, 40, said she received an email dismissal from the unpaid job after she appeared in the Sunday Sport in return for a donation to a children's charity.

She is urging fans to write to the club in an effort to get her role back.

Doncaster Rovers have refused to comment.

Ms Chandler said: "The photos were tongue-in-cheek and not seedy."

Although there had been no written contract with the club, she had been working as a mascot for over three years, she added.

"I did not tell the club I was going to do the photo as it all happened very quickly.

"I have put blood, sweat and tears into being Donny Dog and doing the charity work, and this is how they treat me."

Ms Chandler, who claims she is the only woman mascot in the country, was approached to pose for the photos after an article about her appeared in another newspaper.

It's a dogs life.

What I want to know is how they decided on those three particular countries.

From what I understand, Japan host the competition each year and invite two other nations. Scotland were invited and won the cup not too many years ago if I remember rightly.

Which newspaper does anyone know?

Sunday Sport. It's in the first line mate :shifty:

Also, sad to see Ronaldo go. One of my favourite players growing up, I remember watching the 1998 World Cup just like :o at how good he was. Scored wherever he went, even when he put the weight on, which is the mark of a great player.

For now at least it's reassuring to know that Wikipedia goes direct to his page when you type in "Ronaldo".