2011 College Football Season

While I believe it's warranted and there are programs out there that are doing things that they should be terminate for, I just don't see any way the NCAA actually kills a program again. The fallout and obvious impact on all aspects of athletics, campus life, and the school itself at SMU were far beyond what anyone could have imagined. It was far more than was deserved and it punished way too many people that weren't involved.

I do however, believe that the NCAA will come up with some other kind of sanctions that effectively kill a program.

The only reason I don't think it will happen to a school like Boise St is that the NCAA can't afford to do that to that type of school. It needs to happen to an OSU/USC/Texas type of school. For one, those types of schools are the ones with precedence with these types of issues. Sure, it happens freaking everywhere. The NCAA though, is coming up to a point that whatever it does to whomever it does it to, has to have the same kind of clout that the death penalty did at SMU.

Honestly, what I think would be a great way to deal with this, would be to strip the schools of their BCS status. Let's see your boosters lining up to give your players cars to go win the Bluebonnet Bowl <_<

So USC has been stripped of the 2004 BCS championship. Some people are suggesting that it should be given to Auburn instead of being left vacant.

It won't be given to Auburn, but I think it should. Auburn should have claimed a piece of that championship to begin with because they deserved to be in that game more than Oklahoma did.

And Mike Hamilton is resigning as Tennessee's AD effective at the end of the month. I couldn't be happier. :)

Auburn did go undefeated that year, but the championship shouldn't just be awarded to anyone. We all watched the 04 season and saw that USC clearly were the best team. I'm not a fan of punishments that involve stripping trophies, the school made the money off the trophy and forever and ever when people see that said trophy is vacant they'll wonder why. They'll see Reggie Bush won the Heisman, and they'll see USC won the 2004 National Championship. You can't revise something we have footage of.

We all know Chris Benoit won the 2004 Royal Rumble and main event at Wrestlemania XX for example.

From Doug Lesmerises's twitter (who is the local go-to-guy for Buckeyes news and broke the Tressel story before ESPN):

"PDBuckeyes

BREAKING NEWS: Terrelle Pryor has decided to end his football career at Ohio State, per his lawyer."

As a Buckeyes fan, all I can say is: WOOOOO!

Oh man, this is going to happen quicker than I thought. LOL "The" OSU .... "the" :rolleyes:

I wish you made sense. :(

It really isn't hard. Players and alum refer to Ohio State as "THE" Ohio State University.

I made a comment on the quick unraveling of things (going quicker than I thought) and then laughed at their uppity reference to themselves.

What's hard to follow ?

Also:

There could be more coming down the pipe over at North Carolina with the NCAA due to finish it's snooping around sometime this month.

OSU fans are bitching about Texas now, since Colt McCoy's wife said something on Colin Cowherd's show (so I heard, I don't listen to the radio, it doesn't tell me everything I know...).

Times like this, I'm glad to be a UCLA fan. Yeah, we suck, but the biggest football scandal we've ever had is Cade McNown parking in handicap spots.

• Like 1

OSU fans are bitching about Texas now, since Colt McCoy's wife said something on Colin Cowherd's show (so I heard, I don't listen to the radio, it doesn't tell me everything I know...).

Times like this, I'm glad to be a UCLA fan. Yeah, we suck, but the biggest football scandal we've ever had is Cade McNown parking in handicap spots.

Yeah all of your scandals involve the accounting department, or cadavers, or the horny psychiatry department :P

• Like 1

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/07/abolishing-kickoffs/index.html

Greg Schiano at Rutgers has a plan to abolish the kickoff. The way it's broken down, I think it could be a radical, yet extremely interesting change to the game.

In a nutshell: line up to punt instead of kick off after scoring or to open the game, OR run a 4th-and-15 offensive play from the 30 in lieu of the onside kick.

I know it's less than a 1% chance to actually happen, but it sounds cool in theory. Thoughts, gents?

Would certainly suck if you were trying to run a surprise "onside kick". Other than that, like you said, there's next to no chance of this happening, so I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it. I can see the safety issue (having known people who suffer from football related long-term health issues), but there's only so much you can change before the game ceases to be actual football, which is why I don't think this is something we'll ever see.

My problem is that the "solutions" don't make sense :/

An onside kick only needs to cover 10yds but the "solution" makes you cover 15 AND takes away the element of surprise (when not in clear cut onside kick situations). Certainly, in end of the game situations the onside kick would be quite obviously what's coming. However, the whole point of the onside kick is that the ball bounces funny.

Line up to punt to start the game ? Why, because PR's and cover men never get face fucked from the blind side :mellow: yeah, no.

• 4 weeks later...