The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Who would you take with the 6th overall?

I figure Malkin can still be a 100+ points player....

Edit: Hell...if Crosby is still on the board, should I take a risk with him? There is no way he will be available to me in the 2nd round. (16 teams, snaking draft....gonna be a LONG wait between picks)

No, no, I did that and I'm pretty sure it back fired...although his ranking has moved up since being ranked 75th during my draft. It all depends on the league, and what style this is going to be, if it's head-to-head, there's a lot of categories to consider. I think they have Kopitar, Zetterberg, and a few goalies ranked higher than Malkin....that's not to say you should follow the ranking order, though. I'm not really one of those people who knows which player I'm drafting when it's my turn, no matter how many time I try and plan it out, it's really a last second decision for me.

I managed to get Henrik Sedin. Again.

1. Henrik Sedin (Malkin, who I thought I was getting at 6th, went just before)

2. Flurey (Goalies were going fast)

3. Skinner (Keeper....Tavares went a few before him :()

4. Quick (Awesome goalie team)

5. Boyle (I needed D)

6. Grabbo (:wub:)

7. Enstrom (another D...was good last year)

8. Dubinsky (Needed the wingers)

9. Kule! (I had him and Grabbo last year, they were great)

10. Williams (My first RWer)

11. Elias (something witty)

12. Pitkanin (Was hoping to grab Kaberle...oh well)

13. Mike Smith (wanted a 3rd goalie, he was the last started available I think)

14. Bryan Little (A big part of the Jets...plus he can play RW)

15. Kennedy (Can play both wings!)

16. Meszaros (He can put up some points as a Dman)

17. Robidas (Also played well for me last year)

18. Couturier (He might make the team...will be a good keeper)

19. Bertuzzi (Both wings, can put up some points and PIM)

20. Strome (Another prospect I hope makes the teams)

Just finished my 3rd fantasy draft a few minutes ago. Came out alright, being the 6th pick and all. Got kind of shafted on the goalie situation, ended up with Cam Ward and Cory Schneider, as well as Bobrovski in the bench. Working on a trade for what looks to be some form of his Ryan Miller for my Patrick Kane, however I'm not too keen on Miller. Managed to somehow get Grabovski, Kulemin and MacArthur, so that should be some points.

My draft in spoiler:

1. (6) Jarome Iginla (Cgy - RW)

2. (23) Patrick Kane (Chi - RW)

3. (34) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C)

4. (51) Cam Ward (Car - G)

5. (62) Loui Eriksson (Dal - LW,RW)

6. (79) Erik Karlsson (Ott - D)

7. (90) Mikhail Grabovski (Tor - C)

8. (107) Nikolai Kulemin (Tor - LW)

9. (118) James Wisniewski (Cls - D)

10. (135) John-Michael Liles (Tor - D)

11. (146) Tomas Kaberle (Car - D)

12. (163) Cory Schneider (Van - G)

13. (174) Dennis Wideman (Was - D)

14. (191) Clarke MacArthur (Tor - LW)

15. (202) Andrei Kostitsyn (Mon - LW,RW)

16. (219) Sergei Kostitsyn (Nsh - LW)

17. (230) Brooks Laich (Was - LW)

18. (247) Sergei Bobrovsky (Phi - G)

19. (258) Matthew Lombardi (Tor - C)

20. (275) Matt Frattin (Tor - RW)

EDIT: Spoke too soon, looks like the trades going through. Patrick Kane & Cam Ward for Thomas Vanek & Ryan Miller.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

I think you get screwed on that trade. But that's just me :shifty:

Yeah, just a bit. But I've got Ward in another league, so I could use some change-up. I'd rather have Miller than Ward, and I only picked Perry thinking that Iginla was the other wing. Now, I can move Loui Eriksson to fill Perry's RW spot (as he plays RW and LW), and replace Loui's spot with Vanek.

Still kind of hurting on the goalies, but a step better. Here's hoping Miller and Vanek have a good year.

Maybe I can flip Vanek for another decent goalie, and replace him on the LW with MacCarthur. Weaker LW, but solid goalie tandem sounds good.

I'd do that trade. The Sabres this year are MILES ahead of where they were last year, and Chicago has a lot of injury concerns right now that are going to cause them to open the season with their lines in a blender. Also, who have the Canes added to make Ward's job easier?

I think Miller and Vanek are primed for solid seasons.

I'd do that trade. The Sabres this year are MILES ahead of where they were last year, and Chicago has a lot of injury concerns right now that are going to cause them to open the season with their lines in a blender. Also, who have the Canes added to make Ward's job easier?

I think Miller and Vanek are primed for solid seasons.

This. And the fact that Vanek had more goals last year than Kane (same point total), and goals are worth more than assists in this league (2 for a goal, 1 for an assist) so hopefully that continues.

EDIT: Now that I look my roster over, I've got Kane (RW) and Eriksson(LW/RW) with 73 points. Perry is out for Vanek (LW) who also has 73 points. I move Eriksson to Kane's RW spot, Vanek in Eriksson's LW spot, and I come out with the same point totals in each position. And a (hopefully) better goalie. Plus in my books

I think this is a bad trade. You're basing your projections off of last years' totals, which is a mistake.

Miller and Ward are both all-star goalies, and fantasy studs to boot. Miller is better, but as Ruki said - the difference in production between these two goalies is less than the loss you're giving up in production of Kane Vs Vanek. This is not going to be the same Loui Eriksson as last year, so you don't have the points to spare that you think you do.

You think the Sabres are worse this year than last year? You think the Hawks are better this year than last year?

Show your working.

Vanek is quietly good for like 70 points on the regular, I'd take him in exchange for Kane if I thought a better goalie was coming back in the deal (and Miller will post better numbers than Ward). Buffalo's offense is improved this year as well, so his ceiling definitely goes up when you add guys like Leino and Ehrhoff for him to work with and others like Ennis, Gerbe, Myers and Gragnani all coming into form.

On Iginla, I mostly marvel at his ability to do lots with pretty much nothing every single year. If Calgary ever gets it going, he'd be a great steal for a fantasy team because he'll get 100 points or more.

You think the Sabres are worse this year than last year? You think the Hawks are better this year than last year?

Show your working.

I was under the impression you were comparing the 11/12 Sabres to the 11/12 Hawks, not to their respective prior season.

I don't think the Sabres have improved by as much as you're implying here. I think a year of stable goaltending for the Hawks rather than Crawford having to win the job will give the Hawks more confidence going forward. I think you're onto something with the Hawks injuries in that they'll start slow, but I think Kane is going to be top-drawer this year.

Just finished my 3rd fantasy draft a few minutes ago. Came out alright, being the 6th pick and all. Got kind of shafted on the goalie situation, ended up with Cam Ward and Cory Schneider, as well as Bobrovski in the bench. Working on a trade for what looks to be some form of his Ryan Miller for my Patrick Kane, however I'm not too keen on Miller. Managed to somehow get Grabovski, Kulemin and MacArthur, so that should be some points.

My draft in spoiler:

1. (6) Jarome Iginla (Cgy - RW)

2. (23) Patrick Kane (Chi - RW)

3. (34) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C)

4. (51) Cam Ward (Car - G)

5. (62) Loui Eriksson (Dal - LW,RW)

6. (79) Erik Karlsson (Ott - D)

7. (90) Mikhail Grabovski (Tor - C)

8. (107) Nikolai Kulemin (Tor - LW)

9. (118) James Wisniewski (Cls - D)

10. (135) John-Michael Liles (Tor - D)

11. (146) Tomas Kaberle (Car - D)

12. (163) Cory Schneider (Van - G)

13. (174) Dennis Wideman (Was - D)

14. (191) Clarke MacArthur (Tor - LW)

15. (202) Andrei Kostitsyn (Mon - LW,RW)

16. (219) Sergei Kostitsyn (Nsh - LW)

17. (230) Brooks Laich (Was - LW)

18. (247) Sergei Bobrovsky (Phi - G)

19. (258) Matthew Lombardi (Tor - C)

20. (275) Matt Frattin (Tor - RW)

EDIT: Spoke too soon, looks like the trades going through. Patrick Kane & Cam Ward for Thomas Vanek & Ryan Miller.

I do that trade a thousand times. I think you win hands down.

I think this is a bad trade. You're basing your projections off of last years' totals, which is a mistake.

Miller and Ward are both all-star goalies, and fantasy studs to boot. Miller is better, but as Ruki said - the difference in production between these two goalies is less than the loss you're giving up in production of Kane Vs Vanek. This is not going to be the same Loui Eriksson as last year, so you don't have the points to spare that you think you do.

whats wrong with Loui Eriksson?

He doesn't have Richards with him this year. I had Eriksson last year and he was GREAT! But I put most of that on Brad Richards...

Also, how many suspensions have been handed out this pre-season? How many will be handed out in the first month of the regular season?

If Calgary ever gets it going, he'd be a great steal for a fantasy team because he'll get 100 points or more.

And this is the tragedy, because he's become Mats Sundin - a fucking fantastic player with not nearly enough to work with.

Whaddya mean? They both got to have Matt Stajan!