The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Flyers extend Van Riemsdyk for 6 years /25.5 (4.25 per)

Flames trade Lanfkow for Stempniak.

Langkow for Stempniak is meh.

The signing of JVR long term could work well for Philly. Still not a fan of what they did this off-season, but this signing could work out well.

Langkow for Stempniak, as a hockey trade, is kind of lop-sided. Phoenix wins it based on that.

But if you factor in the salary cap issues, it's a very even trade. The Coyotes get a hard working 2nd/3rd line center capable of putting up 30-40 points, and the Flames get a younger player who has shown glimpses of being a possible 25 goal scorer, as well as over $2 million in cap space to help down the line when it comes to making moves.

I like Feaster's mentality, but I still think Bouwmeester should have been the guy to move instead of Regehr. Langkow is fine to go, even though I'll miss him, because we've got Morrison, Stajan, Jokinen and Backlund down the middle already.

They did. I personally really liked Rypien. But Belak is Belak. He was modern day hero.

It's amazing how Wade Belak was able to adapt to the higher standard of play in Britain and still play elite hockey. Not many people can say they were an even better hockey player against English competition than they were against North American skaters, but Belak was one of those men.

• Like 2

I think it's a great picture. Too many people when they think of Wade Belak will think of him throwing around his fists. The guy was complex, and I was really looking forward to post-NHL Wade Belak where he could continue things like his radio shows, his show on LeafsTV, etc. Very sad that will never happen now.

I think it's important to remember that every time an enforcer dies we lost more than just a guy who fought really hard.

In semi related news, the NHL will be doing an investigation to see if they can track down root causes for the tragic ends of Boogard/Rypien/Belak. No doubt the US Mainstream Sports Media running headlines like Why Are Hockey Enforcers Dying? was completely coincidental and didn't factor into the NHL's decision at all.

Also can't mention American Media Coverage of this without posting this link. Incredible research went into that article.