Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

See, the first time they came over the venue was packed, but it was a pretty small venue.  The next time I saw them in Baltimore, they went with the generic "rock" venue that was way too big for them.  It was sad to see the place pretty empty, but it also was the first time I saw JoFo so it holds a special place in my heart.

47 minutes ago, WE'VE GOT AMOND! said:

Also, I am sure @Xand will agree, more people should listen to Muncie Girls, great band out of Exeter.

I saw them supporting Tellison earlier this year, and in a few weeks they'll be supporting Beach Slang. Then they'll be at 2000 Trees and for some reason I don't feel as if I'm seeing them enough this year. 

32 minutes ago, Xand said:

I saw them supporting Tellison earlier this year, and in a few weeks they'll be supporting Beach Slang. Then they'll be at 2000 Trees and for some reason I don't feel as if I'm seeing them enough this year. 

Beach Slang are awesome.

I am going to FEST in Florida in October, so many of these bands are playing :D 

39 minutes ago, GA! said:

I actually don't think Johnny Foreigner in the studio reflects how stonking they are live. I saw them at Tramlines a few years ago and my face was impressively melted off by the singer's guitar skills. Really must see them again.

It's pretty hypnotic at times when he goes off on the math-like tapping for a couple of minutes. Quite possibly to give Kelly (the bassist) a chance to get her voice back. 

Both gigs I went to this week were excellent, scored definite points with the girlfriend for getting tickets to them (she likes the bands, I just wanted a reason to leave my house for a change).

Managed to get a signed setlist from the second gig too, which is a nice memento.

We're supporting Little Barrie at Ramsgate Music Hall tomorrow. They did the theme song for Better Call Saul and have played with Stone Roses, Dinosaur Jr and have links with Edwyn Collins, Morrissey and Brian Jonestown Massacre.

So all that is cool, but they might well be tossers. I shall soon find out.

Little Barrie were nice enough. Drummer clearly a man with an eye on the laydeez. Bassist seemed like a nice enough bloke though. Offered to carry some of our gear inside and joked about it. Then was ok for me to use his vintage amp (despite me not being sure), until we worked out that my amp head may not work nicely with his cab. They were also happy to really shift their stuff aside to let us get some space on the small stage.

Didn't talk to them afterwards as they had plenty of fans and friends to chat with, but they're alreet.

Went saw a great local band last night, the Sheiks of Neptune. We originally saw them as part of the Dead Kennedys and liked them a lot, and found out they were local so we figured we'd check them out a few more times.

The show was actually with Richie Ramone, one of the Ramones drummers in the 80s that replaced Marky for a bit. Richie Ramones band was cool enough, did some originals and Ramones tunes, good stuff. The guitar player was a younger kid with a beautiful Les Paul that was doing his best to look like a Ramone in looks/stance/presence. He could play for sure.

The Sheiks kicked everybodys ass though. Nobody came close. My wife and I even talked with them for a bit, nice group of kids, we bought them a round of shots which they were very grateful. Lovely group, great music. I actually ended up making a friend, who is an old friend of their bass player, he saw my military ID and said he was prior Army so we got to bullshitting about music, the band, and how the last band stood no chance after the Sheiks just played.

The opening band was awful. They were really boring, played some shit covers (Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, and Billy Idol. Not bad necessarily...but just kind of weak ya know?) and the singer was this girl that you got the impression wanted this thing to be her vanity project. "Here's one from MY new album". Whatever. Some other band played after them, they were ok I guess, you could tell that the bass player graduated High School in the mid 90s though. He had a Jansport backpack and those mid 90s Puma shoes, dude looked like he stepped out of mid 90s Warped Tour. Funny thing.

It was a good night out. The only thing, the sound in that place was kind of crappy. The place is called The Dive Bar, but the sound was too loud, which is fine if you're Motorhead, but the sound made it hard to tell what was going on sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked to see Blackbeard's Tea Party in November to add something new to my schedule, and Bastille tickets are on sale this week! Getting on that as soon as I can, gutted I missed them when they toured their first album, been waiting far too long for a chance to see them as a result :P

Bastille tickets are booked!

2000trees was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Top bands I saw were probably Neck Deep, Twin Atlantic, Reigning Days, and the acoustic sets by Moose Blood and Muncie Girls.

Now to sleep before I see those last two again later today :P