Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Don Broco / Neck Deep was the best gig I've been to in months, absolutely outstanding from both of them. Also caught Rusty Shackle on Friday but wasn't feeling 100%. They were good to be fair but I had to leave slightly earlier than I'd have liked.

Slam Dunk adding Neck Deep has made me really want to go, because the line-up was already bloody fantastic and they're the cherry on top, along with As It Is. Need to sort a few things but I'm hoping I can sort circumstances out to be able to get there.

I have no idea how to describe the next band I'm seeing live. The video below does a good job:

Pentagram is playing here on March 22nd. Real tempted by that one. $20 advance, $23 day of show. That's honestly not bad.

The Obsessed are here March 28th, $12 or $15 day of show. Also really good considering you're seeing a fucking doom legend like Wino, live.

14 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I just found out today Gang of Four is playing here this Saturday! 

Except....we already have plans to see a friends band. Just bad timing. The local show will be good and supporting local music is good so I don’t feel so bad. 

My only knowledge of Gang of Four is that they had a song on the original Karate Kid soundtrack

• 2 weeks later...

Slam Dunk stage splits have been announced, and if it wasn't for the fact that I somewhat want to see Real Friends and Between You & Me, I could happily sit at the Monster stage all day. Speaking of Slam Dunk, @JeReindeer and @Cymbols (if you're going), which one will you end up doing now that Midlands isn't a thing anymore?

27 minutes ago, Troy said:

Slam Dunk stage splits have been announced, and if it wasn't for the fact that I somewhat want to see Real Friends and Between You & Me, I could happily sit at the Monster stage all day. Speaking of Slam Dunk, @JeReindeer and @Cymbols (if you're going), which one will you end up doing now that Midlands isn't a thing anymore?

Erm still on the fence about going - no Midlands doubles my costs unfortunately. If I do though, it’ll be Hatfield. 

• Sad 1

My girlfriend has signed us up to house sit for one of her friends who are on holiday, so I'm also not going. Midlands would have made it doable since we can drive there and back but yeah.

I'm genuinely upset because the entire main stage is near perfect for me.

Saw two gigs this week:

1) An Evening with Brian Fallon, 25/2/19 - support by Craig Finn of The Hold Steady @ Tramshed Cardiff
I absolutely love The Gaslight Anthem, and their 59 Sound reunion show was possibly my best gig ever, but I was apprehensive going to this; didn't know what to expect with the fact that it was acoustic and would somewhat focus on his solo stuff and didn't know if he'd be able to hold the room with his stories. But in actuality, he was a lot a of fun! Seeing Gaslight twice before, they didn't really engage with the crowd much (first time was for Get Hurt tour, so I guess they weren't really in the best place), but on his own, he was really relaxed, spoke well, (spoke A LOT), went off on tangents but was interesting and fun to listen to. The literal first thing he said was "half of you could die and it would still be a better gig than last night... but I hope you don't". Topics include; How he's not going to sing loud punk songs when he's on his own and it's an acoustic show so stop shouting, he prefers British TV to American, USA doesn't need guns because Luther doesn't have guns, sorts things out and has a sweet coat, and getting everyone to tweet Noel Fielding as they did in 2014 on the Get Hurt tour (Fielding was playing a gig in Cardiff the same night during that show) and more.

According to the setlist, he was due to sing about 14 songs, but he was talking so much he only did about 12,. However he did do a piano version of The 59 Sound with everyone singing which was fantastic.

Only downside was the two pricks yapping all the way through stood in front of me, and repeatedly shouting Bruce Springsteen things at him, despite he said it can be a bit annoying.. The guy next to me respectfully told them to be quiet, which they took it as "we're just trying to have a good time". Said pricks also thought it was hilarious that he shouted "#borntorun" for us to use in his Noel Fielding tweet, despite that he didn't actually have a twitter himself!!!! HILARIOUS!😒

As for Craig Finn, he was okay. I liked his stories, but his songs sounded the same, like they had the vocals had the same pattern and rhythm.

2) Fatherson, 2/3/19 - support by Vistas @ Clwb Ifor Bach
This was technically the third time seeing Fatherson (and second seeing them with @JeReindeer by chance), after seeing their final song supporting Lonely the Brave, and them then support Lonely the Brave & Mallory Knox. They are by no means my favourite band but they are good live and a good way to spend an evening for only £8. Sold out crowd and great singing, I would recommend watching them. The support Vistas were also pretty good too, and will definitely give them a listen when they get a chance, I remember really liking one of their songs.

On 26/02/2019 at 22:18, Troy said:

Guaranteed for Hatfield and I'll be at the Punk in Drublic stage almost exclusively. The only must-see away from there for me is Story of the Year as they're the first headline band I ever saw live (2010) and I haven't seen them since. It helps make up my mind that I've seen a lot of the other bands who would otherwise interest me in the last two years, so they aren't a priority and will only catch my attention if PiD stage times allow it.

Edited by Naitch

On 27/02/2019 at 00:05, Troy said:

I'll be thinking of you both. I should probably also spare a thought for my girlfriend who really wanted to go for Simple Plan but can't, but hey. :shifty: 

I could live at the DIckie's stage

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely out for Slam Dunk unfortunately.

I am however going to see The Killers at Cardiff Castle just before they headline Glastonbury. I know that they divide opinion, but I think that they are pretty dope, plus it is at an actual castle.

• Like 2

I got tickets for William Elliot Whitmore next month. It was a nice surprise, didn't know he was coming to Detroit anytime soon and then my wife told me he was, and he's playing on a Friday! Two other shows I want to see which is X and Mudhoney are on fucking Tuesday nights. 

Mudhoney I atleast have time to get days off since it's in October but X is coming up soon so I'm missing that. Television is also playing and I feel like I should go but I'm not sure I want to pay 40 bucks for them. I like them but don't love them for that price.