Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Went to see The Black Keys in Manchester last night and well they were brilliant. Easily one of the best live performances I've been too, if you like them and get a chance to see them then do it

I am going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Juni :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

and in may I am going to the Toppers, 3 dutch singers. It's more a party concert, 4th time I am going. They have a Arabian theme this year so I ordered a Sinbad costume with mustache (H), every year I end up drunk there.

I am going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Juni :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

and in may I am going to the Toppers, 3 dutch singers. It's more a party concert, 4th time I am going. They have a Arabian theme this year so I ordered a Sinbad costume with mustache (H), every year I end up drunk there.

Have you seen Springsteen before? If not, prepare for a fucking show. That man is amazing live.

I got tickets to see Sunn O))) this February. I cannot fucking wait. I don't think I've been hyped for a gig since Sleep back in May.

TAKE ME WITH YOU

• 4 weeks later...

Went to what is going down as one of the best gigs I've seen in all my far too many years last night. St Os Fest at Newcastle Uni, a charity show for a local hospice featuring the cream of North East music (sans Joe McElderry) playing a Stars in Their Eyes night. Basically three or four songs each as a different band.

Kicked off with a band I'm not usually arsed about, The Chapman Family, doing Kiss. Amazing. Played 'I Was Made for Lovin' You', 'Love Gun', 'Rock and Roll All Nite', and a bit of a 'God Gave Rock'n'Roll To You' outro, but the sheer effort made in costumes and disguising Teesside accents for the between song banter (mainly calling the other bands on the bill 'pussaaaaaays!') made it for me. They were almost let down by being first on, as despite it still being fairly busy people weren't quite warmed up for the clap alongs, shame really.

Second on a band I really love, Little Comets, doing Bon Jovi. Wanted (Dead or Alive), You Give Love a Bad Name, and unsurprisingly Living on a Prayer, all song disturbingly accurately. We were almost expecting something a bit different given their usual sound, but they were weirdly brilliant, with the exception of the vocoder stuff in the last song proving slightly too tricky for their guitarist. He tried, but he failed, hilariously.

Next up was one I had great hopes for, the usual weirdly flexible Field Music, Hyde and Beast, B>E>A>K rotating lineup plus the Cornshed Sisters doing Fleetwood Mac. They were good, but just never got the levels right to sound as good vocally as they could. Go Your Own Way sounded okay, Dreams was good but almost inaudible bar the chorus, and it went downhill from there with feedback and an invisible pianist (and I'm 6'2, there aren't many crowds I can't see over...). Slightly disappointing, but never mind.

Highlights of the night coming up, Frankie and the Heartstrings doing Bowie. Disappointing costumes from the rest of the band in naff seventies wigs, but Frankie in ludicrously tight jumpsuit and lightning bolt makeup was superb. Rebel Rebel, Starman, Jean Genie and Heroes, all done fairly faithfully but still somehow sounding like FatH songs (some of the drum fills could have come straight from their album, but still sounded right). All absolutely brilliant, and Frankie had the flamboyance to carry it off perfectly plus some Flight of the Conchords-esque Bowie impressions in between. When you can make just the words 'thank you' sound Bowie you're onto a winner, and when you extend that to banter about your bollocks being constricted you can't go wrong.

Last on, and getting a bit longer on, completing the Sunderland 'bands that start with an F' triumvirate The Futureheads as Queen. One Vision, Don't Stop Me Know, Hammer to Fall, Under Pressure (welcoming 'David Bowie' back on stage, something I'd called/prayed for), We Are The Champions, and an encore of Somebody to Love. All amazing, and with the encore preceded by Barry doing the classic Freddie 'daaaaaaa-yo's for the crowd, near perfect. Under Pressure is going down as one of my favourite songs I've ever watched live, just down to how nailed on it was, and how much fun they looked like they were having doing it.

Just as a disclaimer, I hate covers bands. I've seen one or two, including The Complete Stone Roses ('the nations best Stone Roses covers band'), and it does nothing for me. Its soulless, watching people doing impressions of other bands for a living, and the whole job is just flash karaoke. This on the other hand was five (plus some hangers on for Field Music) professional bands playing for charity and looking like they were having an amazing time doing it. Four of them were bands I'd pay the £15 for a ticket on their own, the same price for the lot doing this as a one off was fantastic. They stuck a raffle on and various other bits and raised over £10,000 for the hospice, so good news all round. Yay!

Wakarusa just announced the last of their lineup for this year and now I really want to go. Gogol Bordello, Snoop Lion, Grouplove, Del The Funky Homosapien, and ZZ Ward were all just added. Wouldn't mind seeing Amon Tobin, Widespread Panic, Mutemath or Araab Muzik either.

Mostly, though, I just wanna see Gogol Bordello and Del. I've never heard of Gogol Bordello having a show in Arkansas before, and this is probably going to wind up being a once-every-10-years sort of thing.

I'm going to see Blue Coupe next month.

They're a "supergroup" made up of Dennis Dunaway of the Alice Cooper Group and the Bouchard brothers from Blue Oyster Cult. So it'll probably be cheesy, and I'll be the kind of fan I hate - going in to hear "the hits", with absolutely no interest in their new material, but sod it, it'll be fun.

Just found out that they're going to be supported by Stray, which makes that gig even more utterly ridiculous!

And then in April, I'm hopefully going to see Adam Ant. This year is silly.

I'm going to see Blue Coupe next month.

They're a "supergroup" made up of Dennis Dunaway of the Alice Cooper Group and the Bouchard brothers from Blue Oyster Cult. So it'll probably be cheesy, and I'll be the kind of fan I hate - going in to hear "the hits", with absolutely no interest in their new material, but sod it, it'll be fun.

Hoooooly shit, this was so much better than I thought it would be. And insane amounts of fun. They only played for an hour, but what a fucking hour. So much sillier, and more light-hearted than I had expected, but just some of the greatest rock tracks of all time. I forget how great Alice Cooper was, once upon a time.

Seeing Dennis Dunaway - one of the coolest guys in rock, a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a guy responsible for co-writing some absolute fucking classic tunes - still running around the stage and scissor-kicking, in leather trousers, at 66, looking in better health than I fucking do, was wonderful.

Seeing him act out the "More Cowbell" skit with two of Blue Oyster Cult? Fucking life-affirming. Hilarious stuff.

And "Godzilla"...wow. Awesome song already, but made insanely good by the Bouchard brothers leaving the stage for Dennis Dunaway to play a magnificent bass solo, followed by him leaving the stage, and Albert Bouchard coming back on, wearing a fluffy dinosaur head mask/helmet, and crawling around the stage drumming on amps and just bits of the stage, yet still coming up with a coherent drum solo, before jumping behind the drumkit and playing a cowbell solo as the other two came back in to finish the song...I don't think I've laughed so much at a gig in years.

Absolutely magnificent stuff. The exact right mix of genuinely brilliant music, and just good harmless fun.

Got to meet the guys afterwards, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of any other big name musician I've met that comes anything close to them in terms of being genuinely humble, lovely guys. "Drumbo" from the Magic Band may be the only guy I've met that's even close to as friendly and sociable as Dennis Dunaway and Joe Bouchard were. Wonderful, wonderful evening all round.

Stray were fucking brilliant, too. Hugely under-rated band.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane 2013 just put out one of the strongest band waves i have ever seen.

179634_10151323963358732_331039256_n.jpg

The full line-up is even better.

RAMMSTEIN‍ · QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE‍ · ARCTIC MONKEYS‍ · DEICHKIND‍ · BILLY TALENT‍ · PAUL KALKBRENNER‍ · SIGUR RÓS‍ · PORTISHEAD‍ · THE SMASHING PUMPKINS‍ · SKA-P‍ · THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM‍ · THE NATIONAL‍ · EDITORS‍ · THE HIVES‍ · OF MONSTERS AND MEN‍ · BLOC PARTY‍ · NOFX‍ · BELLE & SEBASTIAN‍ · GOGOL BORDELLO‍ · BEN HOWARD‍ · JIMMY EAT WORLD‍ · MARTERIA‍ · PARKWAY DRIVE‍ · FRITTENBUDE‍ · ALT-J‍ · MAX HERRE‍ · LEFT BOY‍ · CITY AND COLOUR‍ · MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS‍ · SHOUT OUT LOUDS‍ · MODEST MOUSE‍ · FRANK TURNER & THE SLEEPING SOULS‍ · TEGAN & SARA‍ · TYLER,THE CREATOR‍ · DARWIN DEEZ‍ · TAME IMPALA‍ · JOHNOSSI‍ · PRINZ PI‍ · BOYSETSFIRE‍ · DANKO JONES‍ · TRIGGERFINGER‍ · ARCHIVE‍ · THE VACCINES‍ · THE MACCABEES‍ · CALLEJON‍ · IRIE RÉVOLTÉS‍ · FRISKA VILJOR‍ · I AM KLOOT‍ · KASHMIR‍ · CONVERGE‍ · STEVEN WILSON‍ · KARNIVOOL‍ · EVERY TIME I DIE‍ · THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA‍ · KVELERTAK‍ · PASSENGER‍ · TURBOSTAAT‍ · FRIGHTENED RABBIT‍ · RON POPE‍ · MILES KANE‍ · GROUPLOVE‍ · SDP‍ · THE BOUNCING SOULS‍ · KYTEMAN ORCHESTRA‍ · BRITISH SEA POWER‍ · GRAFFITI6‍ · KODALINE‍ · HUDSON TAYLOR‍ · ARKELLS‍ · SWIM DEEP‍ · SKATERS‍ · OK KID‍ · WHO KILLED FRANK?

WHITE STAGE LINE-UP 2013

· MODESELEKTOR‍ · PAROV STELAR BAND‍ · CHASE & STATUS‍ · NETSKY‍ · GESAFFELSTEIN live‍ · BREAKBOT live

And still lkacking the third headliner. Glorious!