Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

You can buy one, just don't wear it there. I took this to its logical extreme at some festival yeeeeears ago, when I bought a Charlatans t-shirt then didn't go see them at all...

Just thinking about the Adam Ant gig now, and realising that he played "Stand and Deliver", "Prince Charming", "Ant Music", "Wonderful", "Goody Two Shoes", "Kings Of The Wild Frontier", "Xerox" and "Vive Le Rock"...what exactly are "the hits" if not that lot?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seems like my gig calender is finally picking up after over six months of stagnation (man, I can't believe the last thing I went to was Aalborg Metal Festival back in fucking November). But it is picking up in a great way! Might end up at the Pop Revo Festival in Aarhus next week where people like R. Stevie Moore, How to Dress Well, The Rumour Said Fire, Shugo Tokumaru, Causa Sui, Lower and fucking Thulebasen are playing. Hopefully that is going to happen. Otherwise, I have The Residents to look forward to in May and then a packed June with My Bloody Valentine on the 13th, perhaps NorthSide Festival from the 14th and through the weekend, then Neurosis on the 25th and then Roskilde Festival from the 29th to the 7th of July.

And man, Roskilde is packed with good stuff. I am going to try and list all the things I am most definitely going to see; Kraftwerk, The National, Queens of the Stone Age, Kvelertak, James Blake, Bobby Womack, Anaal Nathrakh, Baauer, The Bots, Jake Bugg, Danny Brown, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Ekkozone (who are performing Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians), El-P, Iceage, Keiji Haino with Stephen O'Malley and Oren Ambarchi performing Nazoranai, Suuns, The Sword, Vinnie Who, Ajuna, Lower, Overthrow and Solbrud. And these are only the acts I am definitely seeing; there will probably be tons more once I get to the actual festival and get dragged along to stuff.

Summer is going to be great!

I'm going to Roskilde as well! Really have no idea what to expect from it, but I'm pretty excited none the less!

Been listening to a lot of Bobby Womack recently, so most excited to see him, James Blake, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Of Monsters and Men, Jake Bugg, Efterklang and Marie Key, really!

A potential EWB meet-up at Roskilde Festival?! Never thought that could happen. Mongrel, you should really add Kraftwerk to that list, it will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Also, missed Pop Revo, NorthSide Festival is out of the window too and now The Residents cancelled their gig for tomorrow because of illness in the band. :( But at least the Roskilde list is growing steadily! It now includes a whole bunch of the electronic acts coming to the smaller stages; Holy Other, Vatican Shadow, Daedelus, Jam City and the whole Numbers collective show which includes Rustie and Redinho amongst others from that label.

A potential EWB meet-up at Roskilde Festival?! Never thought that could happen. Mongrel, you should really add Kraftwerk to that list, it will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Also, missed Pop Revo, NorthSide Festival is out of the window too and now The Residents cancelled their gig for tomorrow because of illness in the band. :( But at least the Roskilde list is growing steadily! It now includes a whole bunch of the electronic acts coming to the smaller stages; Holy Other, Vatican Shadow, Daedelus, Jam City and the whole Numbers collective show which includes Rustie and Redinho amongst others from that label.

Yeah, I forgot about that - that's definitely gotta happen! And of course!

Do you have any suggestions about things I have to take/when to get there, man? I've been living in Copenhagen for the past few months so I'm not far away, and really have no idea to expect.

Yeah, I forgot about that - that's definitely gotta happen! And of course!

Do you have any suggestions about things I have to take/when to get there, man? I've been living in Copenhagen for the past few months so I'm not far away, and really have no idea to expect.

Well, the Roskilde Festival website actually has a pretty good guide for what to bring and what to expect for first-timers. Either way, it isn't really that different from other music festivals around the world. Just use common sense. When to get there, that all depends if you want to stay for the full seven days, that includes the bands on the warm-up stages, or just the actual Roskilde Festival which is from Thursday to Friday. I would recommend the full seven days, that is such an awesome experience; we got there at like, what, noon-ish last year and the place was already packed. We still got a great camping spot, though. Also bring a good camping chair; sitting on the ground fucking sucks.

How big is your camp? How many people are you going with?

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see The Breeders last night.

They were playing "Last Splash" in its entirety, so I thought it would be a pretty cool gig, and it turned out to be one of the best I've ever seen. They are absolutely awesome to see live, and seeing such a great album performed start-to-finish was brilliant.

What made it, though, is that for the encore, Kim Deal explained they'd been practicing and sound-checking like crazy, because they wanted to do something special for the London show. She then said "so we're going to play Pod". They played an entire fucking album as the encore. And then still did another encore after that. It was incredible.

Also, Kelley Deal looks fucking incredible for a 52 year old recovered heroin addict. Hasn't aged a day.