Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it, it's a good university especially when you consider the grade requirements are relatively low (I got onto English Literature with an A in English and a C in everything else.) And, albeit maybe it's just because I come from a fairly quiet city originally, I think it's a great place to live as well, there's loads to see and do. I'd recommend it.

Oh, yes. So Janelle Monae is ridiculously good live. I find her TV performances to be a little off-and-on, like she's putting more energy into the performance than the song, but live she hits the balance perfectly. The live version of "Come Alive (War of the Roses)" was like twelve minutes long, including an extended acapella call-and-response, two stage dives, and getting the entire crowd to sit/crouch so she could tiptoe through them with everyone being able to still see her since she's quite short.

Also her live cover of "I Want You Back" is delightfully straightforward and fun.

• Like 2

Might try to see Living Sacrifice and Rwake later this month. I've never seen or even listened to much Living Sacrifice, but they're local legends with a bit of a following who just started touring again this year for the first time in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKUUyCdoFZo

I'm much more interested in potentially seeing Rwake again.

Steve Vai's also playing here next weekend, which is tempting..

I met Scroob recently. Stuck for things to talk about, we discussed this guy called Keith.

He gets that a lot.

Even moreso since this happened:

Pip told the story of the time on a previous tour that he forgot the lyrics to a track and had to be prompted by ‘Keith’ in the audience, who happened to be at The Garage show as well. Later on, Pip forgot the words to ‘Angles’ and ended up having to stop the track. While this would usually reflect badly on a performance and disappoint the crowd, it was instead met with laughter and chants for Keith to help out. Although in other situations it could have been considered shambolic, it was a highlight of the night for many fans who will now always have that memory and the shared experience of ‘Keith’ and “That show at The Garage”.

http://www.onrecordmag.com/live/1988-live-dan-le-sac-vs-scroobius-pip-at-the-garage-london

• Like 2

I'll probably pick up a ticket for the Glasgow show so guess I won't see DLS vs. Pip ft. K.

I've got that one in my diary as one to think about, but I don't think I can justify using up any more holiday days at work :/

I was hoping to do the northern leg of the tour and just go from Manchester to Glasgow to Edinburgh to Newcastle, but the way my shifts at work fell it was easier to just do the odd ones in the south.

Went to see Panic! at the Disco and New Politics last night. Panic were very good, and they mostly played their older stuff which was neat. Never heard of New Politics before, their music wasn't bad, but they had good energy. The crowd was mostly teenage girls which meant that I had a good view despite not being near the front which is always nice! EDIT- Should mention that by good view, I could see the stage by virtue of being taller than most teenage girls, just for clarification!

• 3 weeks later...