Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

After a pretty crazy amount of gigs and fests this year, I currently only have a ticket now for Saxon + HammerFall on Monday. Both are awesome live bands, an an absolute steal at £18.50. I might go and see Thin Lizzy + Clutch in January, and I'm very likely seeing Alestorm in Feb. Outside of that, everything's still a bit open.

The Manics, as expected, were fucking amazing. Here's t'report from t'NME about it:

Manic Street Preachers were joined by Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys and The Cardigans' Nina Persson tonight (December 17) for their special Christmas show at London's O2 Arena - watch footage of both performances by scrolling down and clicking below.

The Welsh trio teamed up with Rhys for the first time in their career for single 'Let Robeson Sing' with the SFA singer taking lead vocals on the track.

Introducing Rhys, Bradfield told the crowd that they wanted to collaborate with him during their tour of Cuba in 2001 but it fell through at the time.

Later, The Cardigans' frontwoman Nina Persson sang on their 2007 single 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough'. She previously teamed up with the band in the UK during their Glastonbury performance that same year.

As Nicky Wire promised earlier in the week, the Manics chose not to run through all 38 hits from their singles compilation 'National Treasures' in album order.

Instead they mixed many new and old songs together throughout their mammoth show.

Arriving onstage, 20 minutes later than their scheduled time of 7.30pm, Bradfield joked:"Howdy doody O2. Better late than never ever eh?", before launching into 'You Stole The Sun From My Heart'.

During their set they also took time out to recall lost member Richey Edwards with Wire describing the band's favourite single - 'Faster' as his "fucking masterpiece".

Later he also told the crowd an anecdote about the how the former guitarist wrote 'Revol'. "We were in Portugal at this festival until about 2am in the morning and Richey peaked too early," explained Wire.

"He was fucking smashed eating a kiwi fruit and he goes: 'I've got an amazing lyric, it's about group sex in the Kremlin'. I said: 'Sounds like a winner to me', so here we go."

Both Bradfield and Wire were on jovial form throughout the show, the former bantering about the flamboyant bassist's many costume changes while the latter joked following the interval: "Fuck me look at him making a costume change [during the interval]. Who'd have thought it."

Wire also took a pop at Coldplay later when he told the crowd: "In typical fashion I think I fucking pulled my shoulder on 'Revol'. I should be doing pilates and yoga like Coldplay eh?"

The band wrapped up the show with their debut single 'Motown Junk' before thanking their guest collaborators and making a final tribute to Edwards.

The show was their last for at least two years which Bradfield acknowledged when he signed off with 'A Design For Life', saying: "Thank you for coming out tonight, you're the lifeblood of old taffs likes us. Merry fucking Christmas. Well see you back in Britain in two years time hopefully."

Wire ended the show in typical Manics fashion by smashing his bass onstage and pushing a prop over.

Manic Street Preachers played:

'You Stole The Sun From My Heart'

'Loves Sweet Exile'

'Motorcycle Emptiness'

'(Its Not War) Just The End Of Love'

'Everything Must Go'

'She Is Suffering'

'From Despair To Where'

'Autumnsong'

'Empty Souls'

'Let Robeson Sing'

'Faster'

'Life Becoming A Landslide'

'Kevin Carter'

'Little Baby Nothing'

'This Is The Day'

'The Everlasting'

'Indian Summer'

'Stay Beautiful'

'If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next'

'Australia'

'La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh)'

'Found That Soul'

'There By The Grace Of God'

'Some Kind Of Nothingness'

'You Love Us'

'Theme From M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)'

'Revol'

'The Love Of Richard Nixon'

'Ocean Spray'

'The Masses Against The Classes'

'Roses In The Hospital'

'So Why So Sad'

'Postcards From A Young Man'

'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough'

'Slash N Burn'

'Tsunami'

'Motown Junk'

'A Design For Life'

EDIT: The gig was split into two, with an interval between 'If You Tolerate...' and 'Australia'.

So after the Kvelertak gig, my neck was dead. Literally. I could not move it.

And now for some new gigs! Mastodon on January 17 and then Post-fest (I got hogtied into it by one of my hipster friends; I think I'm going to take the Skummy approach and wear a Justin Bieber t-shirt), Surfact and Rammstein in February. Christ, I really need to save some money for the booze I am going to drink. :shifty:

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so Mastodon gig is coming up and I just found out that Red Fan is warming up (check out this video if you are not familiar >

). It is going to be a pretty sweet night of beer drinking. Anyone on here seen Mastodon live before? Are they awesome on a scene?

Right, so Mastodon gig is coming up and I just found out that Red Fan is warming up (check out this video if you are not familiar >

). It is going to be a pretty sweet night of beer drinking. Anyone on here seen Mastodon live before? Are they awesome on a scene?

Saw them live last year, have got tickets to see them again this year. Awesome. Will be well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck, I missed Mastodon because of transportation problems. :( Oh well, I found out that WU LYF are playing here as well so I'll be going to that instead. So POstFest is coming up next, then Rammstein, then Surfact and then WU LYF. And then Black Sabbath at Jelling Festival in May. And then all the loose change that'll come along during the rest of the year. Christ, I'll be so poor when the year is over.