General Movie Thread

Jimmy

9 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

Fair points.

Although I think you’re being overly picky on the protest movement parts. This wasn’t a portrayal of any real-life movements at all, and I’ve seen this mentioned in plenty of reviews of the movie. 

People are taking the current political climate and linking it the movie - whilst I can see why - the Joker story has always been similar to this. Gotham was a city in which it’s citizens were growing tired of the rich and powerful controlling everything and leaving nothing for the rest and criminals took over much like the uprising we saw at the end of this movie. The Dark Knight Rises was similar with Bane leading a protest group and nobody was linking it to any sort of movement that was taking place in reality at the time. 

To link it to Anonymous movements or the like is plain silly in my opinion. 

Spoiler

You didn't think Anonymous when you saw all the guys with their plastic clown masks? That was the first thing my mind went to.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 07:56, Liam Mk2 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That was the worst scene of all.

Also, I saw nothing Phoenix did that wasn't just a sort of mix-and-match from all the previous Jokers, most notably Nicholson's flamboyance when he went full Joker. It looks good because Phoenix does a really good job with what he's given, but it's not really very riveting. Even Leto's take was sort of original, at least (not good, but definitely a new take on it). 

My favorite part is how both he and Todd Philips seem to miss on what PBA actually fucking is, and just turn it into a character quirk. Phoenix himself said something like it might not be an actual disease of Fleck, but his real personality coming through.

On 13/10/2019 at 07:56, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

Fair points.

Although I think you’re being overly picky on the protest movement parts. This wasn’t a portrayal of any real-life movements at all, and I’ve seen this mentioned in plenty of reviews of the movie. 

People are taking the current political climate and linking it the movie - whilst I can see why - the Joker story has always been similar to this. Gotham was a city in which it’s citizens were growing tired of the rich and powerful controlling everything and leaving nothing for the rest and criminals took over much like the uprising we saw at the end of this movie. The Dark Knight Rises was similar with Bane leading a protest group and nobody was linking it to any sort of movement that was taking place in reality at the time. 

To link it to Anonymous movements or the like is plain silly in my opinion. 

And then the personification of Capitalism came and saved the day.

BATMAN~!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2019 at 23:54, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

The entire subplot with his imaginary girlfriend felt rushed, unnecessary and inconsequential. The twist was also really obvious because their relationship felt super unbelievable.

I also don't get why it is a period piece set in the 80s. They did a great job capturing the same vibe that movies like Taxi Driver had. But so much of the plot is inspired by modern ideas and concepts. Like the climax of the movie is set in motion by the recording of Joker's comedy club performance going viral. That just didn't happen in the early 80s. And the protest movements that he inspires take cues from Anonymous and the occupy movement. Movements that didn't exist back in the 80s.

And finally I've seen this movie before. I've watched Taxi Driver, King Of Comedy, Falling Down, Fight Club and other movies with similar plots. This just doesn't break any new ground.

Again, I don't hate the movie. I'd give it a solid 7/10. I just wasn't blown away by it like so many others seem to be.

Spoiler

It didn't go viral though? A talk show host just played a tape of it on his show, it's not like we're suddenly seeing bits where everyone in the street is recognising him afterwards. A tape gets played and nothing really changes for him in terms of being noticed. It's basically like someone sending a tape in to You've Been Framed or something. Him getting invited on to the show as a follow-up is hardly unheard of at all.

1 hour ago, Arjen Robben said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It didn't go viral though? A talk show host just played a tape of it on his show, it's not like we're suddenly seeing bits where everyone in the street is recognising him afterwards. A tape gets played and nothing really changes for him in terms of being noticed. It's basically like someone sending a tape in to You've Been Framed or something. Him getting invited on to the show as a follow-up is hardly unheard of at all.

Spoiler

Why would the late night show have the tape in the first place? Were people really taping shitty open mics in dingy night clubs in the early 80s? And would that really be enough to get invited to a late night talk show? Maybe if they had written him as someone who had been doing open mics for a while and had build a reputation as a terrible comedian it would have been more believable to me. 

51 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I dunno, isn't it a Comedy Club? Just kind of went with the idea that someone there had recorded it once he'd gone up on stage and just laughed for ages, or that the club record sets themselves in-house or something.

22 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Hide contents

I dunno, isn't it a Comedy Club? Just kind of went with the idea that someone there had recorded it once he'd gone up on stage and just laughed for ages, or that the club record sets themselves in-house or something.

Spoiler

They do that nowadays, for sure. But in the early 80s? At an open mic? With how expensive the equipment to record film was? Maybe if they knew they had a big name coming in. But not for the average Joe Schmoe trying stand-up for the first time. 

Edited by Hellraiser

5 hours ago, Hellraiser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

BECAUSE THE MOVIE'S SO REAL NOT A COMIC BOOK MOVIE IT'S SUPER REALISM TODD PHILILPS IS A GENIUS~!

• Like 3

Reviews are starting to  come in for Zombieland: Double Tap. Seems like a mixed bag, not quite as good as the original, but not doing it a disservice either. AV Club's reviewer gave it a C, whereas on Gizmodo the review was more positive and while they do mention that it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's still a fun sequel. 

On 16/10/2019 at 15:38, Rey Cloudy said:

Reviews are starting to  come in for Zombieland: Double Tap. Seems like a mixed bag, not quite as good as the original, but not doing it a disservice either. AV Club's reviewer gave it a C, whereas on Gizmodo the review was more positive and while they do mention that it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's still a fun sequel. 

Have to say, I’m going into it not expecting anything close to being as good as the first, because the first was really, really good. 

Comedy sequels are incredibly difficult to do. So many try and fail almost every single time - I’m looking at you Anchorman - whereas some are at least half-decent and watchable. I’m hoping this is the latter.

I went and saw Zombieland 2 yesterday. It was a fun movie! Although I found it odd...

At the beginning, they explain the 3 types of zombies...

1. The Homer, which we saw a handful of times.

2. The Hawking, which showed up once.

3. The Ninja..... which never appeared?

Unless that is some kind of meta joke, why include the ninja description at all?

5 hours ago, Josh Marenghi said:

Wrong link, Cloudy.

Whoops! That's what I get for having like 46 tabs open. 

I fixed it!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/black-panther-s-daniel-kaluuya-is-bringing-a-misunders-1839161925