General Movie Thread

Jimmy

It needed a sequel almost 2 decades ago...this is long overdue

• Like 1

Bones was definitely the best part of that trailer. Everything else is sort of whatever but it's not really a fair trailer to base major judgments on, I guess. My initial impression was just like "oh, so they're doing Star Trek-meets-Avatar" and I'm sure it's not that.

2Fast2Trekious

I have no idea how to feel about Justin Lin. I loved the episodes of Community he directed, hated the Fast movies, and the episodes of True Detective he directed were one of the best and one of the worst. I don't even think I finished Annapolis.

Considering I've sort of liked this version of Star Trek, I'm hoping it's fun.

Ratchet and Clank trailer.  Looks good!

• 5 weeks later...

So the Oscar nominations go out tomorrow. I just caught The Revenant last night so I think I've seen most of the field (the big, glaring, frustrating omission for me is Room, which didn't play at a single Regal in driving distance for me). So, for funsies, this is the field for the major categories that I'd go with.

Spoiler

BEST PICTURE

The Revenant

Mad Max: Fury Road

Brooklyn

Spotlight

Inside Out

The Big Short

The Martian

Bridge of Spies

BEST DIRECTOR

George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road)

Alejandro G. Innaritu (The Revenant)

Adam McKay (The Big Short)

John Crowley (Brooklyn)

Ryan Coogler (Creed)

BEST ACTOR

Michael B. Jordan (Creed)

Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant)

Bryan Cranston (Trumbo)

Steve Carell (The Big Short)

Jason Segel (The End of the Tour)

BEST ACTRESS

Saorsie Ronan (Brooklyn)

Rooney Mara (Carol)

Charlize Theron (Mad Mad: Fury Road)

Amy Poehler (Inside Out)

Lily Tomlin (Grandma)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)

Emory Cohen (Brooklyn)

Walton Goggins (The Hateful Eight)

Sylvester Stallone (Creed)

Tom Hardy (The Revenant)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rachel McAdams (Spotlight)

Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight)

Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina)

Helen Mirren (Trumbo)

Kate Winslet (Steve Jobs)

Best Supporting Actor is a super-packed hellscape this year. Meanwhile, I think DiCaprio's finally getting his Oscar just because the Best Actor field is so awful that people are predicting Johnny Depp to get in for Black fucking Mass.

I love that the Best Actress category is by far the most competitive this year. Hollywood, and the film industry in general, has a long long way to go until there's gender equality in front and behind the camera, but there were some really strong female roles and performances this year. I still think either Rooney Mara or Cate Blanchett should win for Carol, but I still have to see Room. Got a lot of catching up to do for this year, but I feel like a lot of good films won't get the recognition they deserve. A lot of the front runners aren't out over here yet, so it's hard to have too much opinion. 

I think Best Supporting Actor is tougher than Best Actress, partially because they're basically trying to pull off category fraud with Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander (or maybe they've bailed out on that, but the Vulture article I read implied otherwise). But on the other hand, the actual top-tier performances are super-competitive. I'd take Ronan over Mara and especially Blanchett (her parts of Carol being the worst parts of Carol is the hill I'm gonna die on this year) but it's not like last year where it was basically a foregone conclusion that Julianne Moore was going to (deservedly) win.

Lawrence shouldn't get a look-in really. Joy is decent, and she's quite good, but she doesn't even come close to Blanchett, Mara, Vikander and Ronan. That's obviously also discounting foreign language film performances because they don't really exist to the Oscars. I obviously get what they're trying to do, but both Mara and Vikander should be up for Best Actress - they're both leads in their films (and also the best things about them). If what I've heard about Brie Larson's performance is true, then it seems to me like any five of them could deservedly win. And there looks like every chance that Vikander could be up for Best Actress and Best Supporting like she is at the BAFTAs. 

• Like 1