General Movie Thread

Jimmy

1 hour ago, HC said:

I was like 13 when the original came out eight years ago, and as silly as it may sound I get kind of nostalgic thinking about the viral/Myspace marketing of the original. :lol: 

I'm most exited that the release date is only two months away. They did a great job of keeping this under wraps in an age where I didn't think that would be possible.

Oh fuck this, I was in college.  Ew, go away you're too young to be here.

I think its pretty awesome they were able to completely shoot a sequel without anyone really knowing about it.  And then they tried to make sure no one found out about it by attaching it to 13 Hours.  <_<  Can't believe JJ didn't get it in front of Star Wars.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HC said:

So apparently we're getting a Cloverfield sequel in March. :o

I... wha? How have they kept that under wraps?!

Okay, it's not a sequel, persay, but what they've described as a "blood sequel". From Collider.com

The film stars John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher, Jr. and when we previously spoke with Winstead while she was promoting her indie Faults, she told us the story revolves around a woman who wakes up in a cellar where she’s being kept by a stranger, played by Goodman. The actress elaborated a bit on the plot by saying the following:

“He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.”

It's also apparently not found footage.

I wish more movies were unveiled like this: a total surprise with only two months to wait. Last I heard, they weren't going to get to a Cloverfield sequel until 2018, so this was so cool to wake up to. Trailer is creepy, John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, what's outside? Is it the monster? Is it something else? Is Cloverfield becoming a horror anthology series? AH! SO EXCITED. 

I know JJ gets a hard time for trying to swerve people, but this got me way more excited for a Cloverfield sequel than 2 years of rumors and set photos ever would. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HC said:

No fair, I can drink and gamble legally now. :crying:

No one does that anymore!  We're onto discussing our retirement funds and telling kids to get off our lawns.  And when you get to that point, we'll be complaining out our arthritis and telling everyone how much better things were in our day.  And when you get to that point, we'll all be dead.  You're going to be lagging behind forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Seriously, how do you film a movie in this day and age without any leaks?

Star Wars may have helped media-wise, at least as far as keeping eyes off of Bad Robot. I don't think anyone bothered to ask JJ Abrams about a seemingly low budget film orginally titled Valencia when there is Star Wars to talk about.

• 2 weeks later...

VHS Viral sucks a big one. They missed a great opportunity when the frame story didn't focus on the deep-web. Only one of the shorts was even close to being good. 

The first one is a failure, in my opinion, mostly due to just how much I hated the entire family. Like, a concept doesn't work if I WANT them to die. So, that turned me off from seeing the second one, though, I hear it's better (but not by much.)

Two reasons I hate The Purge:

1. You've got a unique concept (stupid, but unique) and you waste it on a home invasion movie?

2. "All crime is legal for 12 hours, but hey let's bring this random man off the street I'm sure nothing will happen."

One reason I hate The Purge Anarchy, even though I've not seen it:

1. "All crime is legal for 12 hours, let's go buy some Doritos from the shop the other side of town an hour before sunset in my shitty car."

• Like 4