General Movie Thread

Jimmy

See, I thought This Film Is Not Yet Rated was pretty well done and interesting. I can't speak for the other two. Documentaries are a lot more subjective than other movies, I feel like. The only ones I can think of that I'd really call crap are the ones like Loose Change, Zeitgeist etc. that just peddle grandiose conspiracy theories, strung together with really tenuous "facts" - I'd say those barely qualify as documentaries since they aren't even grounded in reality most of the time.

But even docs like Freakonomics that have been criticized for methodology and have relatively "meh" reviews I find fascinating to watch.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I've seen plenty where the subject matter was boring but well made, so calling them crap is subjective. Lots of BBC ones have a great subject but then end up all looking the same just like how Philomena Cunk does them >_>

Did you see the Egypt one recently that actually seemed to be presented by Philomena Cunk?

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I've seen plenty where the subject matter was boring but well made, so calling them crap is subjective.

That's what I mean, really. Documentaries seem quite hard to fuck up on a technical level. But, to answer my own question...

Michael Moore's Sicko. Moore went completely up his own arse in his crusade (there's an infamous moment where he anonymously donates to one of his critics; anonymous in a 'I won't shut up about it in my film that will be seen by millions' sense) while his facts on healthcare systems around the world have major flaws in logic. He talks up how the NHS means medicines are nearly free, but doesn't talk about the near constant strain in resources or waiting times. IIRC, it's the same with the French system too - it's convenient and cheap and you can get treatment from home should you choose, but their doctors are always on strike.

The Gascoigne documentary that came out last year was weird for only having three talking heads other than Gazza - Gary Lineker (yup, fine), Wayne Rooney (ehhh, people called him the next Gazza, so, yeah, I suppose) and Jose Mourinho (?!?!? - he was Bobby Robson's assistant well after Gazza played under Robson at England). They had dozens of people they could've talked to, but only interviewing three people - two weakly linked to the subject matter - made it appear unfinished.

Loose Change was just fucking ridiculous. If anything, it stopped any lingering thoughts about 9/11 being an inside job.

And while I liked Super Sized Me, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold confirmed Morgan Spurlock is a smug cunt, too busy being the star of the film instead of giving us something more in-depth than the basics of A-Level Media Studies.

I don't much care for documentaries that are just mostly dry, technical tellings of historical facts. Also if it's a war documentary and it was made more than a decade after that war ended and it's still filled with over the top patriotism, I'm probably not going to be interested either.

Although I loved South Side Story. How can you end a sporting documentary about the challenges the new owners faced in their first full season in charge, before the finals? You'd think its the kind of documentary with a perfect end date of when the season is over, with the last scene being a final reflection on the journey over the entire year and not just over 2/3rds of it.

The Art of the Steal was a bit of a boring slog, and I remember at the time I really didn't like Chantal Akerman's News From Home because I found it boring and pretentious, but I've since really enjoyed a lot of her work, so I'd be up for watching that again, with my new-found love for the pretentious.

The Beiber doc was pretty shit too :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Lars Mulder said:

So, they are still using dudes in suits right? Or am I that blind?

Nah, you're right. 

I had no idea that Hideaki Anno is codirecting this. 

Its supposed to be a combination of CGI, suits and miniatures.

And apparently Godzilla's appearance changes throughout the movie. I believe what's shown in the trailer is his early stage (ie, when he first shows up) look. I kind of like it, knowing its not what he will look like by the end.

*edit* I should add that the movie is still being edited. Not all of the effects in the trailer are what will be in the final release. So ignore some of the more garbage-y looking shots.

Edited by GhostMachine