General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Yeah, I've been seeing it getting mixed reviews. And apparently nobody has seen it in the UK... but that is because who goes to the flicks on a Monday?

6 hours ago, Benji said:

TIL Memento is getting a remake.

Really? It's just fifteen years old, nothing about it looks dated, and it was fantastic in the first place. What possible reason could you have to remake it?

Of all the films that don't need a remake, this is near the top of the list. I see why people remake popular films from the 80's because of the nostalgia, but remaking a film that was already brilliant, what is the point? 

• Like 1

I never found Memento to be brilliant or any good, but even I will acknowledge there is no reason to remake it. All they will do is dumb down the movie, which just makes it like so many other popcorn flicks. 

I haven't actually read any of the Ghostbusters reviews in depth because I've just decided I want to go see it next week and form my own opinion, but it seems to me like the overall consensus averages out to "it's fine." Which sounds about right. There are so many outliers at play (remake fatigue, fan backlash, backlash against the fan backlash) that I think are probably just obscuring a movie that's not really exceptionally good or a crime against film.

I generally agree with AV Club's reviews, but I've been reading them so long that I basically have a feel for the specific reviewers and what the letter grades mean in the specific context of the type of movie it is (I was expecting a C+/B- for Ghostbusters, ftr).  And when they hate something, the reviews are usually fucking fantastic.

• Like 1

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cell_2016/

I actually rather enjoyed the book this was based on and now I kind of want to see the movie just because it's sitting at a 0%.

22 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I haven't actually read any of the Ghostbusters reviews in depth because I've just decided I want to go see it next week and form my own opinion, but it seems to me like the overall consensus averages out to "it's fine." Which sounds about right. There are so many outliers at play (remake fatigue, fan backlash, backlash against the fan backlash) that I think are probably just obscuring a movie that's not really exceptionally good or a crime against film.

I generally agree with AV Club's reviews, but I've been reading them so long that I basically have a feel for the specific reviewers and what the letter grades mean in the specific context of the type of movie it is (I was expecting a C+/B- for Ghostbusters, ftr).  And when they hate something, the reviews are usually fucking fantastic.

Damn, now I need to watch London Has Fallen.

• Like 1

EW has a first look at Pennywise from the new "It" movie.

Film's being directed by the same guy who directed 2013's Mama, and Pennywise is being played by Bill Skarsgård. He's probably best known for being in Hemlock Grove or in Divergent: Allegiant. 

On 7/12/2016 at 08:26, Benji said:

Any idea who wrote it?

FiveThirtyEight did another interesting piece, related to Ghostbusters in particular: 

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/

Of note about Ghostbusters:

• Like 1

I would love to see a remake of Lawrence of Arabia with Michael Fassbender as T.E. Lawrence. With and Alexander Sidig as Prince Faisal. Oh, and Kayvan Novak somewhere in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I saw Ghostbusters today. I liked it

I'm seeing it on Tuesday. I am certain I will really like it! 

The next Divergent film (i.e. part 2 of the finale) has been demoted to television because part 1 did so shit at the box office. This must be the first time ever a film series with one continuous storyline has suffered this fate so late on.

It also shows the YA Dystopia genre has finally bottomed out.

1 hour ago, GA! said:

The next Divergent film (i.e. part 2 of the finale) has been demoted to television because part 1 did so shit at the box office. This must be the first time ever a film series with one continuous storyline has suffered this fate so late on.

It also shows the YA Dystopia genre has finally bottomed out.

Apparently there is an issue with this from a talent perspective, as their contracts are for cinema releases. It would be bleakly humorous if they had to re-cast all the parts for the final entry.

Also, I've also seen it reported that moving it to television, the film is going to be used to launch a tv series set in the same universe.

44 minutes ago, DFF said:

Apparently there is an issue with this from a talent perspective, as their contracts are for cinema releases. It would be bleakly humorous if they had to re-cast all the parts for the final entry.

Also, I've also seen it reported that moving it to television, the film is going to be used to launch a tv series set in the same universe.

I've heard the same. Bizarre logic. Surely you'd go the route of The Mortal Instruments by starting over and even slightly changing the name in hope the stench goes away a bit?

40 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Just saw the last one recently. It was pretty bad

My hubby tried to get to me to watch it and I laughed at him. The first one was terrible. 

• Like 2

Has there been 3 Divergent films?

I remember watching the first one with Jen and I thought it was crap. I didn't see the second one and I took Jen to see the third one due to being a good boyfriend and there was some issues with the film as it wouldn't work properly so they gave everyone a refund and 4 free tickets to the Cinema to use at another time so I never knew if I had a lucky escape or not <_<

Also; I've never really seen any of the avengers or any of the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc and I have downloaded all of each Marvel phase and thought about watching them in order. Is this a good idea? Are they good films? Any ones that should be avoided?