General Movie Thread

Jimmy

1 hour ago, Davidmarrio said:

Has there been 3 Divergent films?

I remember watching the first one with Jen and I thought it was crap. I didn't see the second one and I took Jen to see the third one due to being a good boyfriend and there was some issues with the film as it wouldn't work properly so they gave everyone a refund and 4 free tickets to the Cinema to use at another time so I never knew if I had a lucky escape or not <_<

Also; I've never really seen any of the avengers or any of the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc and I have downloaded all of each Marvel phase and thought about watching them in order. Is this a good idea? Are they good films? Any ones that should be avoided? 

@Benkid Nada gave the thumbs up, so I'll give the thumbs down and say that I think the movies are hit and miss and that I wouldn't invest in a very long binge watch. I enjoyed Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman. I thought the rest were okay. 

It's weird but with the videos that they've released over the last week or so (Harley and then the Joker), I'm actually intrigued to catch the movie. Maybe not in theater but it'll definitely be something I check out once it's on DVD. Leto's Joker doesn't seem to be as horrible as I thought it was going to be.

11 hours ago, Davidmarrio said:

Has there been 3 Divergent films?

I remember watching the first one with Jen and I thought it was crap. I didn't see the second one and I took Jen to see the third one due to being a good boyfriend and there was some issues with the film as it wouldn't work properly so they gave everyone a refund and 4 free tickets to the Cinema to use at another time so I never knew if I had a lucky escape or not <_<

Also; I've never really seen any of the avengers or any of the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc and I have downloaded all of each Marvel phase and thought about watching them in order. Is this a good idea? Are they good films? Any ones that should be avoided? 

People would probably argue over the order of quality, but Cap 2 (Winter Soldier) and 3 (Civil War), Iron Man 1 and 3, Thor 1, Guardians, Ant-Man and the Avengers films are all at least entertaining (to very good in the case of Cap 2).

Personally, I think Iron Man 2 is likely the weakest. Thor 2 is quite flawed as well. Cap 1 isn't as good as what comes later, but I found it much more enjoyable with repeat viewings.

EDIT: Hulk (the second, canon one) is towards the bottom end of the pile too, though easily a step or two up from the first attempt.

• Like 1

Watching 10 Cloverfield Lane at the moment. It's not bad, a little slow. John Goodman is great in it. It has the name 'Cloverfield', but so far, nothing has really connected it to the original film.

Edit: Just finished...it really picked up in the last 20-30 minutes. It's a decent movie...I prefer the original overall.

23 hours ago, DFF said:

People would probably argue over the order of quality, but Cap 2 (Winter Soldier) and 3 (Civil War), Iron Man 1 and 3, Thor 1, Guardians, Ant-Man and the Avengers films are all at least entertaining (to very good in the case of Cap 2).

Personally, I think Iron Man 2 is likely the weakest. Thor 2 is quite flawed as well. Cap 1 isn't as good as what comes later, but I found it much more enjoyable with repeat viewings.

EDIT: Hulk (the second, canon one) is towards the bottom end of the pile too, though easily a step or two up from the first attempt.

This is almost all of my feelings of the MCU feature films word-for-word. I loved the Avenger films, the Cap ones (2 & 3 especially, with Civil War possibly being the best MCU film), Thor 1, Iron Man 1 & 3, GotG & Ant-Man. Thor 2 had fun action but little in actual plot to care about (plus possibly the worst villain of the franchise). Iron Man 2 was just bad all-around except for Sam Rockwell. Hulk isn't great, but it's really good in comparison to most in the superhero market.

5 hours ago, Ruki said:

Watching 10 Cloverfield Lane at the moment. It's not bad, a little slow. John Goodman is great in it. It has the name 'Cloverfield', but so far, nothing has really connected it to the original film.

Edit: Just finished...it really picked up in the last 20-30 minutes. It's a decent movie...I prefer the original overall.

I quite liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. I enjoy films set in a small location or a room or something, very difficult to pull off. The best one I've seen was Locke. Just Tom Hardy in a car for the whole film, just brilliantly done.

Star Trek Beyond is good fun.

On 7/23/2016 at 05:02, Alex. said:

Saw the new Star Trek film. Liked it a lot.

Had a lot of fun with that movie too. The only thing about it I didn't like was the generic villan with the paper-thin motivation. Even Idris Elba couldn't do much to save that part. And what is it with with hollywood movies putting tons of make-up on good actors until they are barely recognizable and unable to really emote? Same with Oscar Isaac in the latest X-Men movie.

On 10 Cloverfield; to me, the slow burn was by far the best part. Exhausting the possibilities of what you can do to pass the time and whatnot. The "I Think We're Alone Now" montage delighted me.

5 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Had a lot of fun with that movie too. The only thing about it I didn't like was the generic villan with the paper-thin motivation. Even Idris Elba couldn't do much to save that part. And what is it with with hollywood movies putting tons of make-up on good actors until they are barely recognizable and unable to really emote? Same with Oscar Isaac in the latest X-Men movie.

I thought they screwed the pooch with Elba. They introduced the Klingons last film, he would've been a PERFECT klingon warlord.

32 minutes ago, Alex. said:

I thought they screwed the pooch with Elba. They introduced the Klingons last film, he would've been a PERFECT klingon warlord.

He would be a brilliant cockney klingon warlord 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2016 at 10:29, MDK said:

I quite liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. I enjoy films set in a small location or a room or something, very difficult to pull off. The best one I've seen was Locke. Just Tom Hardy in a car for the whole film, just brilliantly done.

He'd be triffic for the 'Arry Redknapp story.

• Like 1

10 Cloverfield Lane was pretty much excellent up to the last 10-15 or so minutes.

4 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

That was the best part!

It really wasn't. Totally took away from excellent, tense, cramped drama. It was just tacked on, and it felt it. 

I am definitely in the "the last ten minutes were the weakest part" camp, though I love the final moment and

Spoiler

Mary Elizabeth Winstead's exasperated "oh, come on!" at some point in the middle of some thing or other going wrong for the millionth time.