General Movie Thread

Jimmy

1 hour ago, DFF said:

It really wasn't. Totally took away from excellent, tense, cramped drama. It was just tacked on, and it felt it. 

Spoiler

But to me you had to find out if Goodman (I forgot his character's name) was telling the truth or not. I acknowledge it got a little ridiculous but I feel it needed to be there

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:
  Hide contents

But to me you had to find out if Goodman (I forgot his character's name) was telling the truth or not. I acknowledge it got a little ridiculous but I feel it needed to be there

I'd argue the exact opposite of that, to be honest. 

Spoiler

Part of what makes it such a killer drama is that you don't actually know how honest/sane his character is. An ambiguous ending - without very average looking CGI aliens - would have had this nailed down as a true 5 star hit. As it is, my friends and I all felt deflated by the end (with what we considered a bit of a cop out ending). 

I actually prefer the original ending (when the film was called The Cellar, before it was Clvoerfieldified (for lack of a better term)). The ending has Goodman's character survive, injured. No aliens topside. She finds pretty much nothing and drives off into the night. As Chicago comes into view, it is smouldering rubble. So, basically, something has happened - but you don't know what and by whom, and you don't know if Goodman's character knew of it or was just totally bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, DFF said:

I'd argue the exact opposite of that, to be honest. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I actually would have liked that too! I just wanted to know if anything really happened or if Goodman was full of it. That would have proved he wasn't. I didn't need the Aliens I just needed an answer. I kinda hate ambiguous endings

• Like 1

Spoiler

TBH, I'm a little bored with ambiguous endings. I feel like they're so constantly the go-to that I was at least happy with the finality of it.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2011 at 02:00, fhqwhjosh said:

On 8/28/2011 at 07:47, Pesci said:

No Bill Murray? Ashton Kutcher?! The fuck?

On 8/28/2011 at 08:16, MGW said:

I'm really, really hoping he signs on. It's not even worth bothering without Venkman!

Accidentally went to the 1st page of the topic and found this really funny for some reason

Guy on r/movies:

... okay, I'll give him a chance, maybe he knows what he's...

:facepalm:

(for anyone who doesn't realise, all of those films are based on novels, with the most popular version of Ben-Hur actually being the second film based on that novel.)

EDIT : Oh wait, I just realised he included text in his post making this exact point :lol: I'ma leave this here so my stupidity can shine.

• Like 1

Ok you guys. I am not exaggerating in the least and I say this without the slightest hint of hyperbole...

Hardcore Henry is the single greatest piece of cinema ever produced. If it doesn't win all the Oscars including 4 special Oscars created just to show how great it truly is then the world is just wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RPS said:

I'm super intrigued as to what it's about because he tagged me in the post. 

You'll never find out I was agreeing with your assessment of the 1984 film, which I called it a mere companion piece to the book. NEVER!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 18:04, Little Red Srarvette said:

Accidentally went to the 1st page of the topic and found this really funny for some reason

Whoa. Nuts to whatever I was thinking there. The 2016 Ghostbusters is tremendous.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2016 at 10:33, Benji said:

Does anyone know of a movie review site like Letterboxed that allows you to back up your ratings and viewings into some kind of office document?

I do!

Letterboxd.

Go to the settings and the Import/Export tab. It gives you a zip with files like diary.csv, watched.csv, reviews.csv

• Like 1