General Movie Thread

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Kubo and the Two Strings is amazing. It's a genuine film of the year contender.

• Like 1

Don't forget Anthony Hopkins.

Also, this is the rumored plot according to JoBlo:

Spoiler

Optimus Prime return to Cybertron to find the planet dead, and learns he’s the one to blame for it. To bring it back to life he’ll need a mysterious artifact that – we hope you’re sitting down – is on Earth.

The artifact is connected to Merlin, the sorcerer mentor to King Arthur in the legendary story. Merlin gained his magic through a visiting Transformer, not the first time the race has dabbled in altering human history (the site speculates that the artifact could be the mythical sword Excalibur, hence a sword featured in the film’s key art).

The film picks up where the previous movie left off, with Optimus Prime in space; Optimus is the main Transformers character, however Bumblebee will take a bigger role while Optimus (presumably) seeks out Cybertron, along with Hound, Crosshairs, Drift, the Dinobots and “mini-dinobots” operating out of the South Dakota badlands.

I'll be honest I don't get the bad rep Con Air has gotten over the years. Like the movie is completely tongue in cheek for the most part, the actors are obviously just chewing up the scenery and having a good time, the crew got to play with explosives and blow alot of things up every few scenes.. The entire movie just screams mindless summer blockbuster. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, thank you for choosing Con Air.

We riffed on it in the movie riffing group I just left. It's definitely a mix of fun and outright cringe. A lot of set-pieces and dialogue are cheesy fun, but the general attitude toward race, gender, rape, etc. makes me shudder every time.

Yeah it's attitude towards certain issues is tasteless, I agree. 

Also it'd does have a rep as being pretty bad however I think the people who generally don't like it aren't getting that no one involved wasn't trying to make anything other then a fun little action flick.

7 hours ago, WeAreOne said:

I'll be honest I don't get the bad rep Con Air has gotten over the years. Like the movie is completely tongue in cheek for the most part, the actors are obviously just chewing up the scenery and having a good time, the crew got to play with explosives and blow alot of things up every few scenes.. The entire movie just screams mindless summer blockbuster. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, thank you for choosing Con Air.

I had a friend once who called it "Air Con" in front of a group.  Some planes have lethal air conditioning systems.

Edited by brenchill
  • Like 1