General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I am still a big fan of the original three movies no matter what people say about the latter two movies of that trilogy. The 4th one was a rather dull and pointless affair. I was especially disappointed by Ian McShane as Blackbeard. He kinda reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence in her last two X-Men movies in that he didn't look like he wanted to be in that movie. Even Johnny Depp wasn't as much fun to watch as he was in the other three movies. I don't expect much from the new movie.

• Like 2

I have thoughts.

I like the Breakfast Club tribute at the start but it brings up an issue I'll get to in a minute after my first gripe.

I do not like that they have enhanced abilities outside of their Ranger uniforms. The original MMPR we're able to fight minor enemies outside their suits because of their own skills. Jason, Trini, Zack and later on Tommy were skilled Martial Artists long before Zordon recruited them. Kimberly was a gymnast her whole life and that was reflected in her fighting and it was implied that Trini and Jason were teaching Billy to fight. Just straight out giving them super powers at all times makes them seem far less talented in their own rights. Same thing with them finding the Morphers and not being chosen by Zordon.

My second gripe comes from something I liked. They all seem to be troublemakers of some kind. The original team were good people and a shining example of what kids and teenagers should strive to be. They we're a group of close friends who served their community in various ways. They were people to be looked up to regardless of powers. I get that it'd be hard to build a movie with that but it doesn't seem like any single one of them reflects that. The closest seems to be Billy but that's just because he's shown getting bullied. Not everyone needs to be troubled.

Meh, honestly the original series was extremely camp, which was fun at the time sincs it was targeted towards kids. I don't mind them trying to switch things up and present the group as more complex they're targeting a broader audience with this movie, what worked in the early 90's probably isn't going to translate well in 2016, as much as I've always loved TMNT, the last two attempts at the movies have been proof of this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

That Power Ranger trailer reminded me that I'm soooooooo tired of origin stories. Why can't they just let the heroes be heroes at the beginning of the movie and let them do Heroic things?

Like the original MMPR movie?

It was a version of a story arc from the show. The show ended up redoing the whole thing it's self and ignoring the movie. I don't even think the canon version(TV show) had Ivan Ooze. It was just an alternate story behind the rangers getting new powered based on animals instead of Dinosaurs.

Edited by Kirkland

There is a bit in Saving Private Ryan that is really good now that I realise what happened. After they storm the beach, there is a bit where some Germans surrender but the American soldiers shoot them. They are actually Czech, they are saying in Czech "Don't shoot, we aren't German" or something to that effect. I always wonder just how much I've missed in films.

Also, Walter White looks really young in this film. Cancer is a bitch.

• Like 1

I went to see Inferno last night (I wasn't really bothered about seeing it, but my dad wanted to for our monthly cinema meet-up). While it's not gonna win any awards, I was pleasantly surprised. For a two hour film, it moved along at a nice clip, and the acting talent generally get some decent mileage out of some wafer thin roles. It's pretty much a 3/5 film - it'll never even be considering for a film of the year list, but it is an easy watch. Irrfan Khan also has a cracking support role/extended cameo. While the twists are obvious, and it is still all a bit silly, it is nowhere near as convoluted as the two previous films. I'd actually consider re-watching this one sometime soon >_>