General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I've seen NONE of the movies that anyone is nominated for in an acting role (but a few are on my Netflix queue for after they're out on DVD and Blu-Ray), and the only animated nominee I've seen is ZOOTOPIA.....

8 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I would recommend Hell or High Water. I mean, I'd recommend it to everyone but I think it'll work for you in a way some of the other noms might not.

That was a good film.. More modern Westerns need to be made.

• Like 1

Kubo's one of the best animations since... probably Inside Out, I think.

I've seen about half of the Best Picture noms, and really like them all. It's nice to see Hell or High Water scrape in to the group.

4 hours ago, DFF said:

Kubo's one of the best animations since... probably Inside Out, I think.

I've seen about half of the Best Picture noms, and really like them all. It's nice to see Hell or High Water scrape in to the group.

Too bad it's not a Disney-Pixar film, because many many reports over the years have proven that the academy judges do not care for or even attempt to watch Animation films, so they'll just toss it to the one with the Disney-Pixar production on it.

The only time it happened differently in the past 11 years was with Rango, in a year where there were no Disney-Pixar films to be nominated.
Personally i'm biased because I want Red Turtle to win, but that film is more art than it truly is an animated film in the classic sense, seeing as there is zero dialogue in it and it's all about experiencing.

It'll most likely be Zootopia or Moana though, since those are the ones that made the big bucks and were produced by Disney-Pixar to boot. Even though those two are easily the least 'unique' films in the list this year.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Being unique doesn't mean it's better, though. 

GoGo hit one thing spot on, which was that it's a shame that no Sing Street song was nominated, especially since that horrible Timberlake song is on there (which isn't even the best song of that film).

Whilst I enjoyed Zootopia/Zootropolis, I found Kubo to be comfortably a step-up from it. I didn't see Moana, so can't comment on that.

The only animation I saw that potentially matched Kubo was Your Name, though I'm not sure if that's eligible.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/casey-affleck-sexual-harassment-workplace-film-set-career-prospects-1201762040/

Affleck and other members of the production team made lewd comments; they discussed engaging in sexual activity with [Górka] and they suggested that she have sex with the Camera Assistant.

[snip]

In mid-December 2008, [Górka] traveled with other crew members to New York to shoot scenes involving Phoenix. Affleck and Phoenix decided not to put the crew up in a hotel, and the crew instead stayed overnight at Phoenix and Affleck’s apartment. 

At the time, [Górka] was the only woman on the Project. After a long night of shooting, Phoenix told [Górka] to sleep in his bed and he would sleep in the living room. Because she believed she was in a private bedroom, [Górka] went to sleep in a camisole and pajama pants.

During the middle of the night, [Górka] awoke to find Affleck lying in the bed next to her. Unbeknownst to [Górka], Affleck had entered the bedroom while she was asleep and crawled into bed. When she woke up, Affleck was curled up next to her in the bed wearing only underwear and a t-shirt. He had his arm around her, was caressing her back, his face within inches of hers and his breath reeked of alcohol. 

and 

[White] was forced to endure uninvited and unwelcome sexual advances in the workplace. On one occasion, Affleck instructed a crew member to take off his pants in order to show [White] his penis, even after [White] objected. Affleck repeatedly referred to women as “cows;” he discussed his sexual exploits and those of other celebrities he allegedly witnessed; and asked [White] after learning her age, “Isn’t it about time you get pregnant?”… Affleck also attempted to manipulate [White] into staying in a hotel room with him, and when she resisted, he grabbed her in a hostile manner in an effort to intimidate her into complying. 

He settled both lawsuits out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Had multiple lawsuits for sexual harassment, I believe.

EDIT: Whoops. Cloudy'd!

And yeah, Benkid, I would have sooner seen David Mackenzie or Pablo Larrain get the spot instead of Mel Gibson. I'll concede that Hacksaw Ridge's wartime stretches are really thrilling, intense stuff but in a field of talented young directors having Gibson there is sort of an eyesore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Had multiple lawsuits for sexual harassment, I believe.

EDIT: Whoops. Cloudy'd!

And yeah, Benkid, I would have sooner seen David Mackenzie or Pablo Larrain get the spot instead of Mel Gibson. I'll concede that Hacksaw Ridge's wartime stretches are really thrilling, intense stuff but in a field of talented young directors having Gibson there is sort of an eyesore.

Isn't Kenneth Lonergan super old as well, though :P 

I honestly wouldn't have minded if Ava DuVernay finally got her best director nomination that she deserved for Selma. Having a documentary get a best director nomination would be pretty cool, IMO. I'm glad they didn't just got the Meryl Streep route and just give another nomination to Scorcese, though, even though Silence is supposedly amazing.

Best Supporting Actor category is pretty funky, with Michael Shannon in it instead of Aaron-Taylor Johnson. I might just be disappointed because my personal favorite in Bradley Whitford for Other People didn't get a nomination, though.

Lonergan's 54, so not super-old but not young enough by director standards. What threw me with him is that this is only like the third film he's directed.

Yeah, if I didn't hear the buzz of Manchester by the Sea and go and check it out, and subsequently found my way to Kenneth Lonergan's profile page, I'd probably think he was old too. Looking at his wiki page now, seems he did a lot of theater work and screenwriting instead of directing. Had no idea he wrote the Gangs of New York screenplay. 

Yeah. I knew his name because he did This Is Our Youth, which I did an assigned monologue from in college. But I had no recollection of when that was written or anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...