General Movie Thread

Jimmy

James Franco as Tommy Weiseau...in the movie The Disaster Artist, based on the book based on the making of the movie The Room

I watched 'The Accountant' last night. Pretty enjoyable film, although it really straddles the line of hollywood autism, but Affleck played the role very well and it wasn't completely offensive to watch as someone with Autism themselves.

Perfectly enjoyable action-thriller, although it tries to tell a bit too many stories at times.

The Act of Killing is easily the most disturbing movie I have ever watched.  

Washing it down by watching Paris Is Burning, probably the greatest documentary there is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RPS said:

The Act of Killing is easily the most disturbing movie I have ever watched.  

Washing it down by watching Paris Is Burning, probably the greatest documentary there is.

Both so good. 

The Look of Silence is really good, too - it's a loose sequel to The Act of Killing. 

Just seen an interview with Barry Jenkins about Moonlight and now I want to see the film. Not because he sold the film to me but because of the way he came across. Doesn't seem like your normal pretentious poncy film maker (@Jimmy) and just seemed like a nice guy that looked a bit like Ian Wright.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

Just seen an interview with Barry Jenkins about Moonlight and now I want to see the film. Not because he sold the film to me but because of the way he came across. Doesn't seem like your normal pretentious poncy film maker (@Jimmy) and just seemed like a nice guy that looked a bit like Ian Wright.

Shut it you tart. 

But for real, you should totally go and see it, it's absolutely incredible. He does come across really well, but don't be fooled, he likes his pretentious films just like the rest of us :shifty:

• Like 1

In a lot nicer news, Hannah Hart of My Drunk Kitchen has signed a first-look deal with Lionsgate. Her first tentative project is an LGBTQ romance film.

• Like 3

Question mainly for @Jimmy and @LarsLars, as my favourite non-Cuban film guys, asked here because Jimmy's inbox is full last time I checked. :P

Let's say I wanted to get back into reviewing films again after a year off, but I don't really know where to start... Are there any themes or certain types of stuff I should write about or would interest you, if only as a start before I go on an aimless 'review any old shit' spree?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

I think I'm going to watch Manchester by the Sea tonight. Some of you know me well enough to decide. Will I like it?

I've not seen in myself, but have read the reviews and a good friend of mine has seen it. It sounds like it's a very emotionally heavy film, with some outstanding central performances.