General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were presenting the award for Best Picture, Beatty looked a little confused with the card and Dunaway said La La Land, so they call came up and started giving speeches before it became clear that actually Moonlight had won and Dunaway/Beatty had been given the wrong card, so the La La Land producer pretty graciously announced Moonlight had actually won and brought them up. 

Summary: Awkward.

• Like 1

There was an Iranian director who skipped out on the Oscars in protest of the travel ban. That's all I've heard about so far.

EDIT: 

Also, 

We sincerely apologise to Moonlight, La La Land, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the announcement for Best Picture.

The presenters had mistakenly been given the wrong category envelope and when discovered, was immediately corrected. We are currently investigating how this could have happened, and deeply regret that this occurred.

We appreciate the grace with which the nominees, the Academy, ABC, and Jimmy Kimmel handled the situation.

That seems to support the cynical "PR company" take more, even if it was an accounting firm that fucked up >_>

They're also going to investigate it.

The company promised to investigate the error after Warren Beatty, who was presenting the best picture award with Faye Dunaway, ended up with the wrong envelope. “We sincerely apologise to Moonlight, La La Land, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the award announcement for best picture,” a PwC statement said.

Attention will focus on a provision intended to make the system failsafe: there are duplicate envelopes of the complete set of results, held in the wings in case anything should go wrong with a presenter or an envelope. The key question will be whether the duplicate of the best actress award, which had just been announced, was handed to Beatty in the wings as he walked out to announce the best picture winner.

Uh, I'm just one layperson, but uhhh.. yeah, it kinda sounds like Beatty wound up with the duplicate envelope. <_<

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

STILL at 100% after 138 reviews.

Well deserved, its a great movie.  And @Ruki its more of a thriller than a straight up horror movie, lots of tension, not too many jump scares.

And Banshee from X-Men: First Class has gotten super creepy.

• Like 2

Of all the things going on in the US at the minute this has to be one of the least important and insignificant of the lot. yet Hollywood will cry HORROR that it happened. Turn that sh*t down and get on with it. Its a mistake, it happens. Its no different than a joke bombing or an actor missing their cue.

Its not a tragedy that it happened, the world wont end. We can look fondly back at that time with Warren beatty got handed the wrong microphone and laugh...oh how we will laugh. I really don't understand what the big deal is, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

1 hour ago, si2787 said:

Of all the things going on in the US at the minute this has to be one of the least important and insignificant of the lot. yet Hollywood will cry HORROR that it happened. Turn that sh*t down and get on with it. Its a mistake, it happens. Its no different than a joke bombing or an actor missing their cue.

Its not a tragedy that it happened, the world wont end. We can look fondly back at that time with Warren beatty got handed the wrong microphone and laugh...oh how we will laugh. I really don't understand what the big deal is, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

Nobody is really crying horror, though, but it's an honors that has a process, so they're just trying to see what went wrong with that process.

3 hours ago, Benji said:

tl;dr - PR Company does what PR Companies do, has an "incident" at an awards show that boosts attention and therefore sales for all involved.

I don't actually see how that's the case since both Moonlight AND La La Land outdid their projected box office numbers.

My favorite moment of the entire moment, though, was the adorable shot of Shirley Maclaine waving at Beatty and Dunaway. That was precious.

1 minute ago, Benkid Cratchit said:

I don't actually see how that's the case since both Moonlight AND La La Land outdid their projected box office numbers.

And now they're going to make even more on DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming ratio payouts from your average Joe hearing about this and watching them both.

6 hours ago, Benji said:

And now they're going to make even more on DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming ratio payouts from your average Joe hearing about this and watching them both.

I suppose it increases a little more awareness for Moonlight but I don't think La La Land has had any issue with people being aware of its existence. 

I mean, winning Best Picture any year, let alone the year where it's a major upset, is generally a boost enough. Even the frontrunners get some sort of bump when they win Best Picture (my theater had Birdman the year it won, kept it for a couple weeks longer, and I got to watch firsthand people who had no clue what it was about but just went to see it because it won). I'm just not seeing it.

• Like 2