General Movie Thread

Jimmy

The US alternative to Netflix is Netflix. >_>

Oh. Over here we have Netflix, Lovefilm (shit), and Sky Go (ultra shit). I've wired my Netflix to the US version but it still lacks films in some areas. Great for TV stuff though.

Lovefilm is great. Sky Go is just.. Sky. Which is great.

The US alternative to Netflix is Netflix. >_>

Blockbuster also does the same thing as Netflix, just not as big from what I hear.

We also have Hulu, but it's better for watching current episodes of TV shows.

Hulu is fantastic if you have Hulu Plus.

I watched it last night. I don't like watching things in 3D cos it always looks shitty to me no matter what glasses I wear, maybe it's just my eyes. There's no need at all to watch it in 3D 'cos there's practically nothing that even comes out of the damn screen.

I thought the actual film was better than the 2002 version, probably because it didn't have Toby Maguire playing Spiderman, thank god. Also Emma Stone is so much better than the woman from the other.

I didn't even wanna go watch it, but it was alright I suppose. I bet I would've liked it more if I watched it in 2D.

The 3d was bad? That's weird. I saw a review the other day and they mentioned a lack of character development and an iffy script but the reviewers gave praise to what they thought was about the best use of 3d they'd seen.

Critics are party poopers, it's a really, really fun film. (I saw it in 2D for what it's worth.)

Yeah, it's the best Spider-Man film yet in my opinion. I think Doc Ock was a better villain than The Lizard, but still. Overall, the film was better. Fuck all the critics, there was really nothing wrong with this film. It wasn't Avengers or Dark Knight, but you're going to enjoy very few superhero films if those are the measuring sticks you use.

I saw it in 3D. I didn't mind it so much, definitely would have preferred 2D. It didn't need 3D at all and had no interesting uses for it.

Yeah, I've been avoiding 3D, so I saw it in 2. Don't really care to wear glasses over my glasses.

I'm glad someone else gets this. Man. I'm so glad I never went with the bigger framed glasses or I'd have to buy a new pair just to watch 3D films.

I don't know what critics you guys are reading but most of the reviews I've seen are pretty positive.

I actually liked Andrew Garfield a lot more than I thought I would. Emma Stone, on the other hand ...

Also, 3D is awful. I had to see it in 3D and didn't enjoy the experience. Everything blurs for me.

Edited by StevenRichardsRules

I won't hear a bad word about Emma Stone. Not only is she gorgeous but she's a bloody wonderful actress. I loved her as Gwen! And yeah, Garfield was a much superior Peter Parker.

Most reviews I've read have been fair middling if not negative.

I really enjoyed the new Spider-Man movie, but I actually really like Tobey as Peter Parker more so than Garfield. Garfield was a much better Spider-Man under the mask it seems though, but that may mostly be the writing. Am I the only one that preferred Tobey? I mean, I enjoyed the film and I do not think Garfield did a bad job, I just really liked Tobey.

I sound pretty negative in my earlier post, but I wanna see it in 2D though because I'm sure I'd like it a lot more.

I really enjoyed the new Spider-Man movie, but I actually really like Tobey as Peter Parker more so than Garfield. Garfield was a much better Spider-Man under the mask it seems though, but that may mostly be the writing. Am I the only one that preferred Tobey? I mean, I enjoyed the film and I do not think Garfield did a bad job, I just really liked Tobey.

He's too creepy looking. That smile gives me nightmares.

I never liked him at all. Part of it was the characterization, which isn't really his fault. But I never really felt he brought the role to life. It never felt like Peter Parker to me. Garfield couldn't be more like Peter.

I didn't hate the Amazing Spiderman. I think my feeling on the whole was "I've seen it done better". There were some cool little twerks here and there on the back story and I didn't think they were too offensive (some of them worked well and made sense). There was just a lot that didn't work well.

I really liked that the Gwen Stacy character was capable. I liked that she could defend herself somewhat (as a human against a hulking lizard-man who regenerates, at least) and I liked that she was able to synthesize the antidote and get the Oscorp employees out of the building. My big problem with her is that she falls into generic love interest territory. She doesn't really have much of a character at all and I think her and Peter's connection is tenuous at best. Can you describe her without mentioning her job at Oscorp or her romance with Peter? I don't think I can.

I don't like Emma Stone, so that probably doesn't help things. My complaint with her is that she plays the same character in every movie I've seen of hers. Subjective but that's my perspective.

Ugh to gratuitous CGI lizard. :angry: to Human Face Lizard.

As other people have no doubt said, the Lizard's motivations become really unclear. Why exactly is he turning people into lizards? I understand it's the "world without weakness" Darwinian thing (I think the new comic book version of the Lizard does something similar, but better) but it doesn't follow very well.

I'm mixed on the parents deal. I didn't need them but I didn't hate their inclusion (to some degree).

Things feel really rushed, even though it's a two hour movie. Why did Gwen Stacy's dad have to die so suddenly? What happened to the subplot about Peter avenging Uncle Ben?

Thing I Hate When Superhero Movies Do: Unmasking the hero too much. This was my complaint for Spiderman 3 and this one gets close. I can get over him unmasking himself to encourage the kid but does he need to unmask himself so publicly in front of Captain Stacy and the New York police? Why does he have to abuse his powers so ridiculously through out the movie?

There's something about the movie that feels very small scale compared to the first Raimi Spiderman (ridiculous as it was). I don't feel the bigness of New York. Maybe that's because there is barely any web-slinging.

The worst thing is that I didn't hate it. It was a decent movie. One of the better Spiderman movies, though that isn't saying too much. I didn't even like Raimi's movies that much either.

Edited by StevenRichardsRules

Tobey Maguire was a horrible Spider-Man. Decent Peter Parker but I don't know. I hate his facial expressions in the first two movies. He always looks like he's having a bright light shined in his eyes during a job interview.