General Movie Thread

Jimmy

No joke on nothing the Dad's Army trailer looks amazing. If they could afford that cast for a tv series (they couldn't :( ) I'd watch the hell out of it, casting is absolutely perfect. Michael Gambon playing someone as peripheral as Godfrey.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly

If these teasers didn't make sense to you and you're also not familiar with the book the movie is based on:
It is a fish-out-of-water story. Adolf Hitler wakes up un modern Berlin. It is never explained how he got there. As he is trying to make sense his situation people mistake him for some kind of comedic method actor doing satire.

That's not surprising. It hasn't been a good series in a long time. If I understood right..

The big reveal of the 'demon' or whatever is that it's a blob of black goo. Sounded reeeeeeeally underwhelming.

(PA5 spoiler, by the way, for some reason I can't edit my post.)

One of the things I hope from this movie is that it does for Walton Goggins what Basterds did for Christoph Waltz. I think most people realize what a terrific actor he is, but I want this to be his star-making performance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cloudy said:

One of the things I hope from this movie is that it does for Walton Goggins what Basterds did for Christoph Waltz. I think most people realize what a terrific actor he is, but I want this to be his star-making performance. 

Yeah me too. It's a travesty he never won an Emmy for playing Boyd Crowder, let alone was only nominated once. Getting to play Tarantino characters is a pretty nice consolation though. 

First Warcraft trailer!

I never played but the cast and Duncan Jones are great so I've been hyped for awhile. The first big test to see if video game adaptations can go the way of comic books and actually not be terrible.

I just can't get into that trailer at all - it kind of takes what Warcraft is to me (a fun, tongue in cheek fantasy world) and turns it into some boring looking Dungeon Siege: In The Name Of The King bog standard thing. It's.. so serious. WOW is bright, colourful and full of fun characters.. whereas this weird mix of CG and real life comes complete with a shoehorned in romance and.. blah.

I just wanted a full CGI version of the opening to a Warcraft game.

Nah, I think it looks pretty great. It's based a lot more on the early RTS games (Orcs & Humans, Tides of Darkness, Beyond The Dark Portal) than it is on anything from World of Warcraft. The stuff that happens in Warcraft the film - the Orcs coming through the dark portal, the Orc/Human wars, etc. - all happens hundreds of years prior to WoW's storyline.

This is screaming 'flop' to me. Swords and sorcery films (LOTR excepted, obvs) have never done well critically or commercially. It's amazing they still get made, in fact.

The branding is a weird one. The Warcraft name will help it be a cut above other films in the genre, but there's still an unfair stigma attached ("people who play Warcraft are fat virgins who live in their Mum's basement") which isn't too easy to shake off. That will make it harder to draw people in. Lest we forget, Star Trek still doesn't do as well in the box office as it could because of that age-old perception about Trekkies - arguably Warcraft fans are the modern day equivalent.