General Movie Thread

Jimmy

18 hours ago, Benji said:

And now they're going to make even more on DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming ratio payouts from your average Joe hearing about this and watching them both.

Nuh-uh, I watched Moonlight online and I have zero interest in seeing La La Land at all.

• Like 1

I mean, folks will believe what they want about it being a PR stunt (I'm by my own self-admission a cynic), but anecdotally - all the ladies in my office were talking about it yesterday when none usually pay attention to the Oscars, and only two of them had seen La La Land and none had seen Moonlight, now they're talking about watching both of them. Whether it was a PR stunt or not, both got their attention because of publicity, which is all awards shows are about anyway.

I don't think it was a PR stunt at all. People will look for conspiracies anywhere >_>

Can we talk more about Brie Larson's silent protest at Casey Affleck's win instead?

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Nuh-uh, I watched Moonlight online and I have zero interest in seeing La La Land at all.

The upside to Moonlight winning is that I now have to watch a Best Picture recipient. Have not watched one since my SO forced me to watch Argo. What a terrible piece of garbage that was. 

I quite liked Argo. :(

My favourite thing today is the coverage on the front of Metro which shows the front rows looking shocked and references Meryl Streep and Matt Damon, but doesn't mention the Rock raising a slightly quizzical people's eyebrow.

21 minutes ago, LarsLars said:

Donnie Yen has been cast as the lead in the Sleeping Dogs film. Based on the game! Great casting right?

Awesome. I kinda feel like it should be a younger person to play Wei Shen but that is still good casting. Just hope they keep Tom Wilkinson on as Pendrew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LarsLars said:

A younger person would be more logical but if you watch the films special I.d. and Flash Point. You can see why they have casted him. Hopefully they will not make the whole film English.  And yes Tom Wilkinson should be in it 

I recently finished the game and I hope they stick to roughly the plot.

In other news Starship Troopers is 20 years old! Might have to watch that again.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 21:09, Ruki said:

I wanna see Get Out, but I am a wimp when it comes to horror movies.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I just watched this last night with my girlfriend who HATES horror movies.  The only other one I've gotten her to watch was Cabin in the Woods.  She bit on the jump scares fairly hard (at one point after a jump scare she leaned in to me and said "this is why I wanted to go to Logan!"), but there's only a few of them in the movie.  We both loved the movie, so if she can handle it I'm sure you can too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I just watched this last night with my girlfriend who HATES horror movies.  The only other one I've gotten her to watch was Cabin in the Woods.  She bit on the jump scares fairly hard (at one point after a jump scare she leaned in to me and said "this is why I wanted to go to Logan!"), but there's only a few of them in the movie.  We both loved the movie, so if she can handle it I'm sure you can too.

This. 

It's very much not a typical horror movie and is completely worth watching. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Shit...might have to do that then. It just seems like such an interesting movie. And the reviews I've been hearing are fantastic.