General Movie Thread

Jimmy

19 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Couple of years late to the party, but watched Total Recall this evening because it was on TV. Fun film. 

Such a good film. The remake was complete balls. I got so cross when I realised they don't even go to Mars.

Awful how? The first two are brilliant and I even have a soft spot for 3 largely down to the fantastic cast. Everything after that is rats but that's not a bad run by any means.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Awful how? The first two are brilliant and I even have a soft spot for 3 largely down to the fantastic cast. Everything after that is rats but that's not a bad run by any means.

3 would have been better if they set it on a wooden spaceship monastery like they originally planned it.

My thoughts on the whole Alien, Predator etc shebang:

Alien = 4/5
Aliens = 5/5
Alien 3 = 3/5
Alien: Resurrection = 2/5
Predator = 3.5/5
Predator 2 = 2.5/5
Predators = 3/5
AvP = 2/5
Haven't seen AvP 2 >_>
Prometheus = 3/5

3 hours ago, MDK said:

3 would have been better if they set it on a wooden spaceship monastery like they originally planned it.

It would've been better if Jimmy Nail was in it. Point stands that it's a good film.

• Like 1

I just can't stand the utter repetitive nature of this series. Aliens 2 at least had all those gooey campy goodness, and it's the only one I've sort of enjoyed so far. Alien3 just was utter garbage, Weaver being the only good thing in it. The whole fucking didn't know if it wanted to be serious or bonkers.

Resurrection looks like it might be loony as balls, though. Can't wait to see that.

You see the thing I've always liked is that the first four were all different, obviously as a creature feature you know the creature's gonna pop out, deaths ensue, but they always tried to do something different with them. Alien and 3 are probably the most similar but part of that is executive meddling and the "directors cut" tries to expand a bit on that and rectify some of the issues but always an up hill struggle. I do think that the setting and supporting characters do a fair bit to differentiate the two even if the religious cult aspect didn't show too strongly, only the one person worshipping the "demon" and that arc being cut kind of ruins that.

Resurrection was the pilot for Firefly so as ridiculous as it is I'll always have a soft spot for it even if it's the stand out weakest of the series to most people.

Bigger Firefly fans then me have have gone in to greater detail then I am able to but essentially while working on Resurrection, Joss Whedon really got into working on the crew of the Betty and while a lot of his content was changed and messed about with due to the wreck of a production the film ended up being (amazingly topping Alien 3s problems) and started thinking of them in their own way eventually leading to Firefly. With time things were changed and obviously it wasn't necessarily in the same "universe" (although some people have kind of put them together, the Weyland Yutani logo pops up but I think that was likely just an easter egg in typical Whedon style) but some parts of the Serenity crew can be seen as expys for the Betty crew in A:R. Most people point to the characters of Cal and Johner from A:R as River and Jayne in Firefly. "Pilot" is a bit strong but it certainly seems to have been Whedons inspiration.

I didn't mind Covenant. Granted I'm not a huge fan of the Alien franchise so I don't hold it very precious but I thought it was fine. Between that and The Martian, I'm just glad he's competently directing movies again because he has been a bit of a mess the past 10 years. 

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

Bigger Firefly fans then me have have gone in to greater detail then I am able to but essentially while working on Resurrection, Joss Whedon really got into working on the crew of the Betty and while a lot of his content was changed and messed about with due to the wreck of a production the film ended up being (amazingly topping Alien 3s problems) and started thinking of them in their own way eventually leading to Firefly. With time things were changed and obviously it wasn't necessarily in the same "universe" (although some people have kind of put them together, the Weyland Yutani logo pops up but I think that was likely just an easter egg in typical Whedon style) but some parts of the Serenity crew can be seen as expys for the Betty crew in A:R. Most people point to the characters of Cal and Johner from A:R as River and Jayne in Firefly. "Pilot" is a bit strong but it certainly seems to have been Whedons inspiration.

I'm still not sure of how Alien 3 is a pilot for Firefly? 

43 minutes ago, MDK said:

I'm still not sure of how Alien 3 is a pilot for Firefly? 

He is talking about Alien: Resurrection. Alien 3 has nothing to do with it.

And are we at the point where they should maybe simply stop to do Alien movies all together? They made 8 movies now, counting those 2 AVP movies, and only 2 of them have been genuinely good.

And whatever happened to that Alien movie Neill Blomkamp wanted to do? Has that been scrapped?

10 hours ago, lanky316 said:

Pretty sure thats its.  Weyland-Yutani was also mentioned as a client of Wolfram & Hart on Angel

Was Covenant good? I only started watching this franchise just so I could watch Covenant, but now I don't feel like shelling out cinema money for it, so will probably stream it when it's available. 

This next couple of weeks has so much stuff coming out, though. Pirates of the Caribbean, The Mummy, Wonder Woman, Rough Night, Baywatch, The House, plus the Circle and Colossal is already out.

July looks worse, though :( 

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Was Covenant good? I only started watching this franchise just so I could watch Covenant, but now I don't feel like shelling out cinema money for it, so will probably stream it when it's available. 

It's not bad but unless you can get movie tickets cheap (we can get them $5 on certain days), you're probably best off waiting to stream it. 

15 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

He is talking about Alien: Resurrection. Alien 3 has nothing to do with it.

How is Alien: Resurrection a pilot for Firefly? I'm still not getting it.