General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Under Siege is probably the best. The second is a dumb fun watch too, though not on the same level. 

I really must get back into films at some point. No joke on nothing, I've watched maybe 20-25 films old and new in 2017. Apart from losing quite a few free days by going to wrestling shows - my issue is nothing cinematically interests me at the moment. I think @Skummy hit the nail on the head in relation to Okja being "heavy-handed" (although he liked the film otherwise) - I'm bored of storytelling particularly in modern films being so obvious; of all nuance and subtlety being replaced by the equivalent of having a brick smashed repeatedly in my face.

Eh, obvious storytelling can be fun at times. It's all about balance, not everything is about being nuance or refined, I'm all about a film being loud about what it's saying these days, if it's done in a way that enhances the experience. Something like Get Out is exactly that. 

56 minutes ago, GA! said:

I really must get back into films at some point. No joke on nothing, I've watched maybe 20-25 films old and new in 2017. Apart from losing quite a few free days by going to wrestling shows - my issue is nothing cinematically interests me at the moment. I think @Skummy hit the nail on the head in relation to Okja being "heavy-handed" (although he liked the film otherwise) - I'm bored of storytelling particularly in modern films being so obvious; of all nuance and subtlety being replaced by the equivalent of having a brick smashed repeatedly in my face.

Have you watched Personal Shopper, that could tickle your fancy. I'd start looking further backwards if the new stuff isn't grabbing you; Army of ShadowsThe Piano Teacher and The New World are all films I've watched in the last couple of months for the first time that really challenged me and worked for me. Happy to recommend stuff if your problem is heavy-handed storytelling. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Have you watched Personal Shopper, that could tickle your fancy. I'd start looking further backwards if the new stuff isn't grabbing you; Army of ShadowsThe Piano Teacher and The New World are all films I've watched in the last couple of months for the first time that really challenged me and worked for me. Happy to recommend stuff if your problem is heavy-handed storytelling. 

Funnily enough I saw the synopsis of Personal Shopper last week, thought it sounded great, then totally forgot about it until your post. I'll add those four films to my watchlist and give them a go. :)

• Like 1

"Birth of The Dragon" trailer had me super hyped but I went to read about it and found out it's completely misleading and brushes the character of Bruce Lee to the side for some white dude's love story. Sad.

35 minutes ago, Joshu Picchu said:

Really? Where'd you read that? I'd like to see. If so, that's buuuuuuuullshit.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/05/bruce-lee-biopic-whitewashing-anger-birth-of-the-dragon

There's other articles to go into different bits a little more.

1 hour ago, Joshu Picchu said:

Well fuck all that.

This is the original trailer. Apparently they recut it to hide the white guy.

Unsurprisingly, but still disappointing, but they're not showing the Big Sick in Malaysia :(

How censored would Baby Driver be in a super conservative Muslim country? I'm thinking of going to see it tonight, but I don't want to bother if it's going to be full of cuts.

8 hours ago, Apsham said:

Wait, shit - Kumail and Emily are in a movie together? That's adorable.

I think she just cameos at the end. Really hoping it gets a proper release over here, I've heard nothing but good things.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

Oh hi Mark

DE9GraTXkAAEJLc.jpg:large

Actual movie poster