Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

General Movie Thread

You know, Pennywise used to inspire some pretty deep, uncomfortable fear in me but for some reason the creation of the new movies has really killed that even though the new by all accounts is scarier. Like, maybe remaking and recasting the character finally settled in my mind that it is in fact just a character?

5 hours ago, =BK= said:

You know, Pennywise used to inspire some pretty deep, uncomfortable fear in me but for some reason the creation of the new movies has really killed that even though the new by all accounts is scarier. Like, maybe remaking and recasting the character finally settled in my mind that it is in fact just a character?

Or the original Pennywise just imbued another with all his dark power? :shifty: 

I think it likely has to do with the fact that you're not a child anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I think it likely has to do with the fact that you're not a child anymore. 

Nah. Timeline don't match for that. 

I think you've just accepted that the films are films so that screen Pennywise isn't anything to be scared of while watching, whereas the real Pennywise that the story was based on is still terrifyingly real.

to be honest, having watched both the TV movie version and the film version as an adult, Tim Curry's Pennywise is creepier than Bill Skarsgård's. The new movie (and the trailers for part 2) are overall scarier with better imagery, but there's something about Curry's look and performance that feels very distinct to me, like a third-rate clown that hosts a kid's show in some tiny market gone horribly wrong. New Pennywise is just a creepy clown.

• Like 3

On 03/08/2019 at 18:44, apsham said:

I'm listening...

Haven't think movie been out for awhile?  Its been on my Hulu watch list for a few weeks now

TIL Billy Zane is one of Biff's thugs in Back To the Future.

• Like 1

Snoop Dogg voicing Cousin Itt? Nick Kroll as Fester? Bettle Midler as Grandmama? Oscar Isaacs? Count me in.

... what.

Things take a hilariously disturbing turn in the last paragraph of Variety’s feature, which describes a Disney exec’s reaction following a recent internal screening of Jojo Rabbit: “Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans.”

I saw The Farewell yesterday, which is a good movie. Carry on, as you were.

I watched Vox Lux last night and it was a very odd movie. I don't love it or hate it, it's just... a movie I'll probably never think about again. Which is disappointing, because Natalie Portman is usually awesome.

Probably going to watch Lowlife later - anyone seen that?

Is The Mask not as well remembered as I thought?  I was thinking about it today and I realized anytime you see a Jim Carey movie on TV, its either Ace Ventura, Dumb And Dumber, The Cable Guy or Me, Myself and Irene (maybe sub in Liar Liar in place of Me, Myself and Irene).  The Mask is always left out, and that was the one that really helped lift Jim Carey into a bankable star for the time

On 14/08/2019 at 20:07, tristy said:

I watched Vox Lux last night and it was a very odd movie. I don't love it or hate it, it's just... a movie I'll probably never think about again. Which is disappointing, because Natalie Portman is usually awesome.

Probably going to watch Lowlife later - anyone seen that?

Oh no way, Vox Lux totally stayed with me. There's a few things that didn't land, but it was such a bold vision and made such distinct choices, it really worked for me. 

17 hours ago, Lint said:

Is The Mask not as well remembered as I thought?  I was thinking about it today and I realized anytime you see a Jim Carey movie on TV, its either Ace Ventura, Dumb And Dumber, The Cable Guy or Me, Myself and Irene (maybe sub in Liar Liar in place of Me, Myself and Irene).  The Mask is always left out, and that was the one that really helped lift Jim Carey into a bankable star for the time

Personally, i'm not a fan of Dumb and Dumber at all. The Mask is okay, but other than the "SMOKIN'!" line, the Cuban Pete bit, and Cameron Diaz being in it, its not that memorable for me. 

Also, if you want to see Jim Carrey in a really good, non-comedic role, go watch The Majestic. I highly recommend it.