General Movie Thread

Jimmy

7 hours ago, Apsham said:

I'm going to see the Dark Tower on Saturday and I'm still up for it - it's gonig to be relatively short, it's going to have two of my favorite actors in it and I know what I'm getting into going in.

Yeah, this. Plus, I'm a huge sucker for summer blockbusters, anyway. 

On 8/2/2017 at 17:29, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

Atomic Blonde is what Suicide Squad wanted to be and wasn't. The plot was overcomplicated and went on too long but who the fuck is going to that movie for the plot? I'm not saying it was incredible, but it's definitely the type of movie that most years would have lingered on my top ten until the late fall when the prestige films start popping up.

This is probably an oversimplification that does neither movie justice but if my expectation is a female John Wick set in the Cold War 80s, I'd find it enjoyable? A review I saw mentioned that the fight scenes felt boring and it's by someone I normally trust so I was a little put off by that. I am woefully behind on movies of July though so I'm even sure when I'll actually get around to seeing it. Maybe this next week but we will see. I still need to see Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Dunkirk and War for the Planet of the Apes so it will depend on which one of those I want to see the most and which ones I can wait to hit home video. 

6 hours ago, livid said:

This is probably an oversimplification that does neither movie justice but if my expectation is a female John Wick set in the Cold War 80s, I'd find it enjoyable? A review I saw mentioned that the fight scenes felt boring and it's by someone I normally trust so I was a little put off by that.

The fight scenes are good. One of them is straight-up fantastic. There's definitely a lot of John Wick in there (world-weary killing machine vs. the world), though the plot is more, like... Layer Cake except with spies instead of gangsters.

I saw an early screening of The Dark Tower last night.  I love the books, and I knew going in I had to separate myself from them.  The movie is basically taking the ground work of The Gunslinger and the Tower and making an entirely different story with a few references to the source material.  Once you get passed the fact that the movie is in no way shape or form the story from the books you can enjoy it for what it is.  It's not what I hoped for but I didn't leave the theater mad about what I got, it just made me want to read the books again.

Why is it that the Planet of the Apes reboot franchise doesn't get the attention and hype that it deserves? The first to movies are awesome and The War for the Planet of the Apes is no different. I watched it today and I loved it. Although the trailers don't accurately represent what the movie is about. At least the one trailer I saw:

Spoiler

The trailer makes it look like the movie is a war movie that builds up to the final confrontation of the apes led by Cesar and the last human survivors led by the Colonel. But it isn't that kind of war movie. It's more like Apocalypse now with Woody Harrelson as a bit less insane but still cruel version of Colonel Kurtz and Andy Serkis' Cesar as Martin Sheen with a bit of The Great Escape thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1

Yeah, the AV Club had some headline earlier this week about the Harry Potter films being the most underrated series of blockbusters but I think it's definitely the 2010s Planet of the Apes films. I've never seen the first in full, but the second was really good and War is great.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I didn't like War for the Planet of the Apes for the reason Hellraiser said. It might be a good movie I don't know but the trailer was really misleading. There was like no fucking War in your war movie!

Spoiler

To be fair there was a battle right at the end. It just wasn't between the apes and the Colonel's forces.

They also have announced that there will be a 4th movie. With Cesar having died at the end of the movie and the remaining human forces buried beneath that avalanche I wonder where they go with it. You think that they will fast forward into the future when the ape civilization has evolved even further and do their version of the original movie? 

Just now, Hellraiser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I would love that!

Yo anyone, is the Nightmare on Elm Street remake from 2010 any good?

15 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I didn't like War for the Planet of the Apes for the reason Hellraiser said. It might be a good movie I don't know but the trailer was really misleading. There was like no fucking War in your war movie!

Yes there was! It just wasn't your typical war movie!

I love the 2010 Planet of the Apes series. It has seriously not gotten enough love for what it's able to bring to summer blockbusters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, =BK= said:

Yo anyone, is the Nightmare on Elm Street remake from 2010 any good?

Not particularly. Stick with the originals, imo.