General Movie Thread

Jimmy

On 11/27/2017 at 18:56, Josh McClane said:

My girlfriend and I both signed up for Movie Pass. We’re excited to try it. Anyone else used it?

We ordered ours a few days after the price was reduced.  Ours was the day that they lost all the orders for, so while people who ordered after us got their cards we were still waiting.

But, after that its been great!  Although I fully don't expect it to last very long, its too good a deal.

Also, in movie news, I'm so excited because the excruciatingly long (21 minutes) Frozen Christmas short is being removed from showings of Coco this week!  Now I can finally go see Coco!

Actually tried to use Movie Pass last night for The Disaster Artist. Hers worked perfectly. For some reason, I could never properly check in and I ended up just buying a ticket. I’m using their support feature to try and fix it. We’ll see.

And yeah, The Disaster Artist was pretty good. Far from perfect. I need to think on it more. It’s especially funny if you’ve seen The Room.

The CEO (formerly the CEO of Netflix) says they know this means operating at a loss, but they’re “playing the long game.” I assume that means there will eventually be a price bump once they have a large, entrenched customer base.

For now, enjoy a movie in the theater every single day for $10 a month.

On 20/11/2017 at 14:21, Toe said:

Just bought this on Amazon. I've only seen Dracula - the rest are brand new to me. Excited to (finally) go back and watch the classics. 

I clicked this link once and now all I see when I'm online are ads for monster movie packs. :P

5 minutes ago, Josh McClane said:

The CEO (formerly the CEO of Netflix) says they know this means operating at a loss, but they’re “playing the long game.” I assume that means there will eventually be a price bump once they have a large, entrenched customer base.

Yeah, this seems amazing. Not available in Canada yet though.

12 hours ago, Josh McClane said:

I'd rather pay £10 a month to have films currently in the theater available for me to watch at home. Fuck going out.

A Dutch cinema franchiser already has a comparable system where you can watch as many films as you want for €19. Seeing that many cinemas over here are franchised in some way or the other, I doubt a foreign company can really get into the market here.

I had one of those in my final year of uni and it was great. If I had the expendable cash for it I'd probably get the Odeon version because fuck their prices but for the little I go to the cinema usually it's still cheaper to drive an extra 20 miles each way, pay for parking, and use the Premiere Cinema in Cardiff :P

We have Cineworld passes and they pay for themselves since it's only a couple of films a month and you're done. Normally in the space of the month there'll be a couple of "maybe we'll check this out" films that we wouldn't necessarily have paid for so that's part of it but we've always got our moneys worth.

8 hours ago, lanky316 said:

We have Cineworld passes and they pay for themselves since it's only a couple of films a month and you're done. Normally in the space of the month there'll be a couple of "maybe we'll check this out" films that we wouldn't necessarily have paid for so that's part of it but we've always got our moneys worth.

I hear loads of people say this, but films in my local Vue are £5 each. Combine that with a Meerkat thingy and with a booking fee the two of us can go for £6, we'd never get our moneys worth from a Cineworld pass. 

16 minutes ago, livid said:

Wait, how have we not talked about Tarantino's Star Trek movie, now confirmed to be rated R?

Mostly because I had no clue they were actually going forward with it.

I... huh. Okay. Huh.

It makes sense. Sony's desperate to get something out of that franchise after increasingly disappointing box office results and he has the clout of a guy who chose them over every other studio courting him so why not see what you get out of it?

I think the surprising thing is that he was even interested. He's talked about wanting to do a sci fi movie for awhile but I figured it'd be something wholly his own.

I mean, I'm not saying it makes no sense for Sony to not want to do it. I'm just saying that I'm not sure it's a movie I'm optimistic about in terms of being what I want out of Star Trek.