General Movie Thread

Jimmy

11 hours ago, Have a Colly Jolly Xmas said:

I hear loads of people say this, but films in my local Vue are £5 each. Combine that with a Meerkat thingy and with a booking fee the two of us can go for £6, we'd never get our moneys worth from a Cineworld pass. 

The nearest alternative cinema to a Cineworld for us involves an ~hour commute on either the bus/train so if we add those fares in any savings would be lost, obviously we could plan a time for someone to drive out there (a half hour/45 minute drive still but at least no fare) but that makes the "fuck it, lets catch a movie" and 5 minute walk option less likely to be an impulse move on a quiet day and with our schedules planning anything ahead of time is a nightmare. Since Cineworld costs just over a tenner for an adult (your local branch price may vary) it means that two films in a month and it's paid for, quite often due to work commitments on a manic schedule we'll decide to "catch up" on the last few weeks releases one Sunday with a double/triple bill which costs nothing apart from possibly eating out, for which we get a discount at all the restaurants near the cinema as well.

Obviously circumstances may vary and if you a have an alternative to Cineworld closer to you there may be better options but we've saved a small fortune and been able to see a lot more than we otherwise would. I'd say that we'd probably paid the yearly cost for them both in the first three/four months of the year, I mean, according to the 365 in 365 challenge thread I saw 7 films at the cinema in January alone (before everyone stopped updating it and I stopped counting) and that's not including any of the National Theatre Live type things on top of that.

On 12/14/2017 at 02:49, K said:

Just seen the trailer for that new Will Smith Netflix movie bright and it looks dumb as hell but I already know I'm gonna watch it

I"m watching the Netflix Original Movie "A Christmas Prince" that everyone says is "so bad its good"....its definitely there.  At one point, the lead protagonist (played by the girl from iZombie), is typing on her computer.  She keeps typing, but the "word count" at the bottom keeps saying 0

• Like 1

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is not good. I really liked the premise of the first move. There were quite a few problems with the first one but I feel like it's even worse in the second.

Spoiler

What the fuck is the scene where he has to implant the tracker into her vagina. They don't even get any information from it. It's fucking stupid.

And then his girlfriend is like "the only way you can have sex with her is if you marry me." It's ridiculous. They portray women so poorly in the movie. 

The director claims the scene empowers women. Ugh, fuck that. That scene really bothered me. Plus the fact that Eggsy's prize for saving the world in the first movie is anal sex. 

I'm hype for Sicario 2, but at the same time i'm kinda 'eh' about it too.

Sicario 1 was one of the best action/thrillers I watched at that point, suspenseful and always keeping you guessing what Bro/Toro's game was. Most of the story came in the form of Emily Blunt (and the audience) needing to figure out if they were going too far, or weren't going for enough in their actions. And basically setting up those moral quandaries throughout the film.

It also had the (spoiler:) self-contained story of Gillick's (del Toro) personal vendetta against the main bad guys who made him into the cold-hearted killing machine he became at the time of the first film.

From watching the trailer of S2, it has enough action and thrillery bits, but it lacks that 'deeper' story of morality and vigilantism that made Sicario 1 so cerebral to watch. It seems skewed towards becoming more of an outright action flick, more like Bad Boys 2 rather than Sicario 1.5.

Of course, withholding my judgement until I see it, but i'm both excited and wary for it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WOKEN Cloudy said:

Indiewire is calling Bright the worst movie of 2017. 

I said earlier that it looks fucking dumb as hell, but also I know I'm going to watch it.

Like, I'm not one of those people that would sit and watch Octoshark or whatever, I never got that whole Ironic Bad Movie thing, I've never even seen The Room, but ... I dunno something about a dumb as hell $90million movie, I'm curious.

Wikipedia says Netflix have already ordered a sequel :lol:

• Like 1

The first time I saw Will Smith swat a fairy out of the sky and go FAIRY LIVES DON'T MATTER I was like, this is going to have a lot of really bad allegories about race, isn't it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Aww. I was looking forward to it. I'm a fan of fantasy elements in modern settings.

Have you seen the trailer? It looked magnificently terrible.

35 minutes ago, K said:

I said earlier that it looks fucking dumb as hell, but also I know I'm going to watch it.

Like, I'm not one of those people that would sit and watch Octoshark or whatever, I never got that whole Ironic Bad Movie thing, I've never even seen The Room, but ... I dunno something about a dumb as hell $90million movie, I'm curious.

Wikipedia says Netflix have already ordered a sequel :lol:

I don't really like watching bad movies either, but I'm kind of super into watching bad movies if they have huge big budgets and have stupid plots.