Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

General Movie Thread

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Adam said:

So John Cena finally turned heel?

For a movie at least. I'm sure he'll be a good guy by the next movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing about Fast 9:

 

The #JusticeFor Hahn hashtag can go bye-bye now. 

:D 

Edited by GhostMachine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in the trailer. I don't think we need to put Han's return in spoiler tags. If they want us to be surprised bit it they shouldn't have put it in there.

Edit: Nevermind. Totally forgot that Mia was Dom's sister. Makes totally sense to bring her back since this is about family. 

Edited by Hellraiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw The Lighthouse yesterday

That was an insane experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready or Not was a good black comedy/horror movie, wfie and I both enjoyed it

Spoiler

Except the ending was pretty unfufilling :S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still annoyed Sandler got no awards recognition for Uncut Gems and have been for like two months, and after watching it again yesterday I feel just as baffled by it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been distributed on Netflix over here, I assume it's been and gone at the cinema in the US?

Actually, here you go:

Quote

While everyone was freaking out about Uncut Gems hitting Netflix everywhere except for the U.S., it turns out the Safdie Brothers had something special planned for U.S. audiences: Uncut Gems will return to theaters this weekend with a new post-credits Q&A segment featuring the directors and star Adam Sandler.

Uncut Gems centers around a neurotic, gambling-addicted NYC Diamond District denizen, played by Sandler, whose series of high-stakes bets leaves him in a situation fueled by anxiety and one leap of faith after another.

The post-viewing Q&A segment features (and is directed by) the Safdie Brothers, with appearances from Sandler and other Hollywood guests. The Q&A takes place in a Los Angeles diner and, according to the trailer, Sandler doesn’t even know the conversation is being filmed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth seeing in the theater because it means you have no choice but to see it without pausing to catch a breath or walk away from this absolute fucking maniac for a while. I know that can sound like a bad thing and depending on your tolerance for movies that are deliberately trying to make you uncomfortable, it probably is, but for me I definitely benefited from having no choice but to keep watching.

re: awards, it sucks. Sandler should be up for Best Actor, but the Oscars do have a long history of denying great dramatic performances by comedy stars. I bet he wins at the Independent Spirit awards as a consolation. Also, good lord the Oscars are on Sunday, why are the Oscars on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

It's worth seeing in the theater because it means you have no choice but to see it without pausing to catch a breath or walk away from this absolute fucking maniac for a while. I know that can sound like a bad thing and depending on your tolerance for movies that are deliberately trying to make you uncomfortable, it probably is, but for me I definitely benefited from having no choice but to keep watching.

re: awards, it sucks. Sandler should be up for Best Actor, but the Oscars do have a long history of denying great dramatic performances by comedy stars. I bet he wins at the Independent Spirit awards as a consolation. Also, good lord the Oscars are on Sunday, why are the Oscars on Sunday.

This might be true. I watched Uncut Gems at home. I didn't really like it and turned it off at about the hour mark. Maybe if I was in a theatre setting and forced to keep going, I would have got past it and enjoyed the movie. Or maybe I was just in the wrong mood for it. Not really sure why I was put off by it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a stressful movie to watch for most people. I didn't feel it until the last twenty minutes, when I super, super felt it. I think it's ultimately really good but it's extremely Not For Everyone and that's probably a bit part of why the Oscars blanked it even though they shouldn't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just everything working together tbh, I think it’d be hard to properly articulate exactly why without spoiling it. Trying to be vague it’s just the performances, the music, the pacing, the mood, the atmosphere and obviously the narrative all at once.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk Douglas has died at age 103.

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

It’s just everything working together tbh, I think it’d be hard to properly articulate exactly why without spoiling it. Trying to be vague it’s just the performances, the music, the pacing, the mood, the atmosphere and obviously the narrative all at once.

It's pretty much this, but to try and give a more specific example; one thing that it felt like this movie does that other movies would avoid is it barely mutes or minimizes background conversations/conversations happening with other, not-especially important characters in the scene while, say, Adam Sandler and Lakeith Stanfield are in the foreground having their own conversation. It makes things feel busier and more chaotic.

Also the score is just fucking weird. Like, it's really loud and feels a bit like it was imported from an entirely different movie, it's not what you would ever think the score for a movie about a jeweler in New York City with a gambling addiction would be in a million years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Can anyone elaborate on why it's uncomfortable/stressful without spoiling anything?

Picture an office where everyone's talking over each other and at the same time, multiple phones are ringing but no one's answering, the entrance alarm is blaring but nobody is buzzing the person in and everyone's dressed in the gaudiest shit imaginable.

That's your opening half hour. 

If you haven't, try out their other film: Good Time. That's another incredible movie. Done just as well, too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2020 at 17:52, Arjen Robben said:

I'm still annoyed Sandler got no awards recognition for Uncut Gems and have been for like two months, and after watching it again yesterday I feel just as baffled by it.

Think of it as an "Oscars So Old" situation.  Read an interview with one Oscar voter who was 91.  She said Sandlers joke about "making the worst movie ever" was a thing of arrogance.  She also said Sandler and J'lo, who had apparently gotten huge talk due to Hustlers, hadn't had enough "prestige" material to warrant an Oscar nomination.  She also flat out refused to watch Hustlers, because she personally objected to movies about strippers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Also the score is just fucking weird. Like, it's really loud and feels a bit like it was imported from an entirely different movie, it's not what you would ever think the score for a movie about a jeweler in New York City with a gambling addiction would be in a million years.

I paused it once because I was sure I had another tab open playing Blade Runner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now seen 1917. It's an incredibly impressive work of filmmaking that didn't grab me emotionally much at all. That's how I felt about Dunkirk too, though I think this one will stick with me a lot longer than that one did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lint said:

Think of it as an "Oscars So Old" situation.  Read an interview with one Oscar voter who was 91.  She said Sandlers joke about "making the worst movie ever" was a thing of arrogance.  She also said Sandler and J'lo, who had apparently gotten huge talk due to Hustlers, hadn't had enough "prestige" material to warrant an Oscar nomination.  She also flat out refused to watch Hustlers, because she personally objected to movies about strippers.  

They're just full of a bunch of people who hate when anything new is being tried. An Oscar nom is just turning into a participation trophy for all the established names by this point. Why the Leo has another nomination for one of his least interesting performance is beyond me. The Two Popes was utter shite, and the fact that both lead actors were sleeping through their performances and they both got nominated? It's just whoever is an established name that always towed the line. The fact that Phoenix's performance is considered groundbreaking when there's at least three other performances that just went all out and legitimately did something different, it's just hilarious. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Upon a Time is probably in my top ten DiCaprio performances, so different strokes. I'd rank Sandler in Uncut Gems over either performance in the Best Actor field I've seen, though. I'll probably have seen Marriage Story by Sunday night but not the other two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy