General Movie Thread

Jimmy

5 hours ago, MDK said:

What films are in contention for an Oscar this year? I haven't really been paying attention. 

According to this Forbes article:

Guaranteed to be nominated (according to author):

• Dunkirk
  • The Post
  • The Shape of Water
  • Call Me By Your Name

Highly likely:

• Lady Bird
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Short list to round out nominations:

• Get Out
  • I, Tonya
  • The Big Sick
  • Molly's Game

Long shots:

• The Darkest Hour
  • Phantom Thread
  • Wonder Woman
  • Thanks 1

Get Out, Ladybird, and The Shape of Water are the best 3 there by miles. As much I loved The Post, it’s mostly a matter of the narrative. Three Billboards? I’m just not sure right now. Still thinking on it. It’s wonderfully made in many ways. I’m mostly thinking over the why.

I’d say those are probably the most deserving films so far.

Call Me By Your Name was beautifully made, and Michael Stuhlbarg was amazing in it. 

Coco or Loving Vincent will probably win best animation. 

I'm hoping LA'92 gets at least nominated for best documentary. 

I'm guessing some combo of Dunkirk, the Last Jedi and Blade Runner 2049 wins all the special effects and sound awards, though I'm also holding out hope for War for the Planet of the Apes to get something.

My favorite movie this year is still Lady Bird though. The only two movies I haven't seen this year that might knock it off is the Shape of Water and Blade Runner 2049 (and maybe Paddington 2 because that's the best movie franchise of all time, even though fuck the Weinstein Company). 

I can't think of anything else this year I'm looking out for that might be in my favorite movies of the year, but I'm sure there is if I look it up.

Is the General Movie thread the right place to say I love movies? Anyway, here are sone favorites that come to mind: 

Total Recall (1990 version clearly), The Warriors, Dog Day Afternoon, Demolition Man, Trainspotting, Mad Max all of them, Terminator. 

Generally any mid to early 90s Arnold films honestly. They are fucking awesome. 

Martin Scorcese is one of my favorite movie guys. His obvious classics are favorites. 

The Incident, that’s good, not in DVD though. 

Actually, it is on youtube, here watch it. 

7 hours ago, VocalVomit said:

Total Recall (1990 version clearly), The Warriors, Dog Day Afternoon, Demolition Man, Trainspotting, Mad Max all of them, Terminator. 

You are such a bloke.

Oscar nominations out. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Best Picture:

“Call Me by Your Name”
“Darkest Hour”

“Dunkirk”
“Get Out”
“Lady Bird”
“Phantom Thread”
“The Post”
“The Shape of Water”
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Lead Actor:

Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

Lead Actress:

Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water”
Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”
Meryl Streep, “The Post”

Supporting Actor:

Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actress:

Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”
Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”

Director:

“Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro

Animated Feature:

“The Boss Baby,” Tom McGrath, Ramsey Ann Naito
“The Breadwinner,” Nora Twomey, Anthony Leo
“Coco,” Lee Unkrich, Darla K. Anderson
“Ferdinand,” Carlos Saldanha
“Loving Vincent,” Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman, Sean Bobbitt, Ivan Mactaggart, Hugh Welchman

Animated Short:

“Dear Basketball,” Glen Keane, Kobe Bryant
“Garden Party,” Victor Caire, Gabriel Grapperon
“Lou,” Dave Mullins, Dana Murray
“Negative Space,” Max Porter, Ru Kuwahata
“Revolting Rhymes,” Jakob Schuh, Jan Lachauer

Adapted Screenplay:

“Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
“The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
“Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green
“Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
“Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

Original Screenplay:

“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

Cinematography:

“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
“Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel
“Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema
“Mudbound,” Rachel Morrison
“The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen

Best Documentary Feature:

Surprisingly pleased, though I can't tell if it's because the drizzling shit that was the Disaster Artist didn't get acknowledged at all (whether due to Franco's sexual misconduct allegations or not I don't care because it sucked either way), or because Get Out got nominated for 3 out of the big 5 and the Big Short got nominated for its screenplay. At least those two got some love because they were great.

Oh and Rachel Morrison got nominated, finally. She's such an amazing cinematographer and I can't wait for Black Panther.

Franco probably cost himself a Best Actor spot, yeah. I don't know how it was going to play anywhere else. It's really not a good enough movie to merit serious consideration, and all I really wanted was for Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero to get to attend the Oscars and maybe show up in some sort of segment.

super-happy about the Best Director field. That's the exact right five, though admittedly I've not seen Phantom Thread yet but am just assuming that as it's a PT Anderson movie I probably love it. I could have gotten with Villeneuve for Blade Runner but that was never going to happen, it would have probably been Spielberg.

I would have preferred someone out of Tiffany Haddish/Holly Hunter/Allison Williams instead of Octavia Spencer, because she's great but she's not really doing anything new in Shape of Water, and she doesn't have any scenes as good as the one or two in Hidden Figures that got her nominated.

Thought they were going to give the Disaster Artist a Best Picture nod, actually. 

Now I really need to watch the Post and Phantom Thread. Best Actress field is probably the most boring, but Fran McDormand is probably going to win that anyway, though I'm hoping Saoirse and Sally Hawkins nabs it. Meryl Streep getting nominated seems to be the most "meh" thing ever, though, but maybe she's super awesome in it? Would rather have Bria Vinaite, Nicole Kidman or Florence Pugh in there, though.

Also kinda' sad the Florida Project got completely snubbed, Sean Baker is incredible and deserves more love. 

It didn't get completely snubbed, Willem Defoe is in Best Supporting Actor and might have an outside shot if Woody Harrelson pulls votes from Sam Rockwell.

Meryl is really good in The Post. It's not purely a "it's Meryl so we're nominating her again" deal, though obviously they probably would have just nominated her again regardless of how good she was. I really love the McDormand/Ronan/Hawkins triumvirate and I'm happy no matter who wins, though it's probably the one category I'm actively rooting for Three Billboards in.