Cricket!

nabeel

Zimbabwe are like the living, breathing argument in favour of the Woolf Report. How this side continuously gets a free ride into these tournaments while sides like Ireland, Afghanistan, Canada and the Dutch have to fight tooth and nail is absurd and completely contrary to growing this sport. If South Africa had any NRR concerns at this stage they probably could have chased Zimbabwe down inside 10 overs.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
India reveal their 15-man squad for the first Test against England, which is scheduled to start on 15 November in Ahmedabad. India drop Suresh Raina and S Badrinath but recall Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma and Murali Vijay. The full squad is: Dhoni, Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulkar, Kohli, Yuvraj, Pujara, R Ashwin, Yadav, Ojha, Rahane, Harbhajan, Ishant, M Vijay, Zaheer.

• 2 weeks later...

Coverage of the first India/England test starts in just over half an hour. Anyone else tuning in?

I'll be listening in from time to time. Just to see how you Poms fair.. what with the Ashes coming up and all.

India won the toss and are batting.

Can't watch this live until the 4th and 5th day, if it gets that far.

it's in India... days 4 and 5 would be a bonus... So... how long before you miss Strauss?

(Disclaimer: I am a fan of Alistair Cook, but seriously.. 3 seamers and Swanny, in India?)

*makes pelvic thrusting motions*

Killing the SAfris!

Clarke makes four double-tons in a calendar year, first ever.

Congratulations must go to South Africa though, as after five days of test cricket (with one lost to rain in Brisbane) they've finally managed to take ten Australian wickets.

Also Mike Hussey has made three centuries this year. No one will remember them, as Clarke has made double-tons or better in the same innings.

I have to wonder how long Sachin Tendulkar can warrant his place in the side as he really seems to be surviving on reputation alone at this point. If an English No. 4 hadn't scored a Test 100 since January 4th 2011 they'd be dropped on the spot, and Ricky Ponting scored a double hundred five tests ago and he's constantly being threatened with the chop.

• Admin
Ashley Giles has left his role as Warwickshire director of cricket to take over as England one-day international and Twenty20 head coach.

The former England player will report to team director Andy Flower, who will focus on the Test side.

The 39-year-old, who is also an England selector, led Warwickshire to the County Championship in September.

"I am delighted to be given an opportunity to coach at international level," said Giles

"I have worked closely with Andy in recent years as a selector and am looking forward to continuing to work together and to build on the progress that has been made with the ODI and T20 sides in recent years."

The former England off-spinner took 143 wickets in 54 Test appearances for his country between 1998 and 2006.

After leading Warwickshire to their seventh County Championship, Giles said he still had "a lot of work to do" for the club at which he spent his whole domestic playing career.

However, he will now take charge of the one-day side for the first time against India in January, before leading the team on the New Zealand tour in February.

The former Bears director of cricket will then turn his focus to the 50-over Champions Trophy at home next summer.

An England and Wales Cricket Board statement said Flower would have "accountability for the results of England cricket" and would also continue to tour with the England Test side during both home and away series.

However, the team director will no longer be responsible for the day-to-day leadership of the England ODI and T20 sides.

Giles will take over that duty and with Flower will also help develop playing strategies to "move England cricket forward in all formats of the game".

"England cricket has enjoyed considerable success over the past five years," said ECB managing director Hugh Morris.

"In order to build on that success we know that we need to look for ways to evolve and it has become clear that the team director role needs to change if we are to ensure we are utilising the role as effectively as possible."

Giles was appointed Warwickshire director of cricket in 2007 after retiring from playing in 2006 - a year on from winning the Ashes on home soil.

He led the Bears to the county title five years later and Warwickshire bowling coach Graeme Welch, in an interview with the Daily Telegraph in September, backed Giles as an ideal candidate to replace Flower should he ever step down as team director.

Despite initially distancing himself from an England head coach role, Giles will now work alongside Flower.

Zimbabwean Flower, 44, took over as England coach in April 2009 and has masterminded victories over Australia in the last two Ashes series.

A renowned workaholic, Flower was told to sit out the last one-day international of the summer in September to spend time with his family, with Richard Halsall, England's assistant coach, taking over.

Halsall recently suggested the idea of a break for Flower to help him cope with the team's busy schedule.

"The changes in my role will provide me with new challenges and the time to allow me to focus on areas that are important if England cricket is to continually improve," said Flower.

Makes sense.