Cricket!

nabeel

I think they should be boycotted. It's an absolute disgrace what's going on over there and Mugabe is an evil man.

True the whole country shouldn't be punished for it, but by tourin over there gives the impression that we're not fully condemning what's going on.

My housemate used to live with a lad from Zimbabwe who's gone back home. We got a phonecall from him recently. They're being hounded off the land, attacked and stuff being burnt.

true the farmers were wrong in how they took the land originally, but now people are dying and the land is getting destroyed so everyone is going to starve.

Henry Olonga and Heath Streak are real heroes, speaking out.

Don't forget Andy Flower as well, he wore a black armband in the 2003WC.

The whole thing just shows what happens when the government get involved in things that don't concern them. It's up to the ECB whether they go or not.

In other news, Ian Botham wants Nasser Hussain to give up test cricket. Any thoughts?

I DID hear in my sleep last night that there's talk of Hussain giving up. It worked its way into my dreams so VERY strange! That's why sleeping with the radio on is so good!

Anyways Hussain is past his best in my opinion but I think he should still fight for his place in the England squad as the team seems to be picked more on form and ability these days than it used to be...

For Australia to play Zimbabwe is going to be real boring and no contest. We are going to destroy Zimbabwe sadly and they shouldn't be playing at all over there. It gets real sad when something like this happens in sport because of a countries government.

Just look at India, Pakistan countries. Stupid People. Congrats to Murli for breaking the world wickets record, he is a controversial but a great bowler

• 2 weeks later...

From BBC Sport:

Former England captain Nasser Hussain has retired from Test and first-class cricket with immediate effect.

The 36-year-old announced his decision at Lord's only three days after scoring a match-winning century in the first Test against New Zealand.

He said: "It has been a major decision for me and it has been a gradual thing that has happened over months.

"I have been thinking about when was the time to go and on Sunday I decided the time was right to go."

Hussain, who was on the verge of tears as he revealed his decision, added: "Age has been catching up on me a little, the body, the fire in the stomach and the eyes have started to deteriorate a bit as well.

"I was willing to fight that and I was willing to fight against opposition players but I was not willing to fight against youth in the form of Andrew Strauss."

Strauss had come into the side at Lord's and hit a century on his debut with captain Michael Vaughan missing the match through injury. 

But with Vaughan ready to resume his place, Hussain's decision will make life easier for the selectors.

Hussain said: "I'm emotional because it's a big day in my life to give up the game of cricket but it's not because I am sad.

"I would have loved to have played 100 caps but not for the statistic."

"By Sunday I decided my time was up. Monday was an incredible day. Monday clarified my thoughts. A lot of good things happened to me and I just think it was a great day for me.

"It's slightly selfish. I don't like going in the middle of a series but if I'd carried on I believe things would have got messy. At the moment things are clean and clear-cut."

He said he had enjoyed "hitting his favourite shot" - a cover-drive - to win the Test match on Monday.

Hussain had revealed his thoughts to England coach Duncan Fletcher and captain Michael Vaughan before announcing his decision to the media.

He said: "I spoke to Duncan. He was adamant that I should go out in the way I deserved. He did not say 'No Nasser I want you to stay,' none of the selectors did that, nor did the captain."

Hussain, who also leaves Essex after a 14-year career there, said there were a number of other young batsmen in England doing well.

"There are a few other players too like (Rob) Key, (Ian) Bell, (Ian) Ward, (Scott) Newman - a few are getting runs and warrant consideration.

Hussain finished by thanking everyone involved at Essex "I've been there since I was eight" and "everyone at the England and Wales Cricket Board."

He called Fletcher "an absolutely great man" and also thanked his father, Joe.

Hussain captained England in 45 of his 96 Tests before stepping down in favour of Michael Vaughan last year.

England won 17 Tests under his leadership, a total exceeded only by Peter May (20) and Mike Brearley (18).

Hussain scored 5,764 Test runs at an average of 37.18 during an England career which began on the 1990 tour to the West Indies.

He made 14 centuries and 33 fifties, with a highest score of 207 against Australia in Edgbaston in 1997.

Edited by Chris2K

Guest OnlyOneKeano

With the very average knowledge of cricket i have i think it would be a loss to English cricket , he proved how good he can be with his century in the Englands last test . The thing i know about Cricket is DARREN GOUGH RULES ALL (with harmison a close second)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, EWB has definitely needed one of these. Just pop a short message as to which country you root for in international competition. Being a Pakistani born obviously I'm a fanatical cricket fan. It's been a very up and down year for us but I'm very confident in the current group and what they'll manage to accomplish by the next World Cup.

The Asia Cup definitely dissapointed me. Part of it was the rules....part of it was our play. I mean being penalized for not winning by 60 runs is kind of ridiculous.

So, who's following the Triangular Series.....Australia has to be the only country in history to make it to the finals of a tournamet without bowling a single over. India has to be kicking itself about it's bad luck right now.

What matches have you watched lately? What tours are you keeping a close eye on?